+ Reply to Thread
Page 10 of 32 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    This is what seems really strange to me, coming from WA. Why isn't there a set starting age? Surely having such a big age range would cause issues in both lower and higher years?
    Yes, it does. Although, there really aren't many kids starting school later than being March babies (anecdotal evidence only), so the 18 month age gap, it's more a 14 month max age gap, with the majority of the kids being within 12 months of each other.
    The rules in NSW regarding age have been that way forever...but they need to be changed to reflect the change in when kids start school IMO. 4.5 years is super young to start school these days in NSW.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (26-01-2016),Nemmi1987  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ArthurDent View Post
    Im actually ok with our system after reading this thread. Otherwise everyone would be holding their children back out of fear that the child will be 18 months younger than the rest.

I'm sure the youngest child isn't quite as much of an issue when there is a maximum 12 month difference?

Having said that I wouldn't mind the intake year being pushed back a year, they seem to be pushed along a lot earlier now.
    It certainly impacted on our decision to pull out son from the state school and send him private. The school he attends has a middle school so it gives him 3 extra years before he hits big school in year 9. I look at the boys in year 8 at the state school and some of them are enormous physically. Add to that there are over 2000 kids at that school and well I'm just not excited by the idea of my son being there from year 7 as an 11 year old.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

ArthurDent  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    But isn't this only because the 18 year olds were held back by their parents? If all kids started according to the rules and not held back, there would only be a max of a 12 month gap and therefore there wouldn't be a problem with high school / the teenage years.

This is obviously based on a 1 intake per year scenario like in SA.

I agree with a PP who said it should be the same rules across Australia. In SA, there's kindy the year before you start Reception at Primary school. Kindy is equivalent of 2-2.5 school days and Reception is full time just like every other year at primary school.

Is it the same in any other state?
    in nsw a child may start kindy (first year of official primary schooling) the year they turn 5 *if* they turn 5 before june 30th but they must start kindy the year they turn 6,

which means if your child starts at 4.5 they have the potential to be competing with children who are turning 6 in the first few weeks of starting kindy,

Most kids average around the 5.5 mark but my ds for eg will be 5 y 8 months the day he starts kindy that makes him 16 months older then the child that is starting at 4.5,

I know my own son has done ALOT more maturing from january last year when he was 4.8 to january this year when he is 5.8, january last year he could not sit and write his name, he could not sit properly for hours in a school setting, he could not interact socially and emotionally without melting down and there was no way he wouldve handled 30 hours of school a week, he was flaking during the day with 2 days of preschool a week, about 4 months ago he hit the age where I felt he was truly ready, he can meet all the above requirements now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    But isn't this only because the 18 year olds were held back by their parents? If all kids started according to the rules and not held back, there would only be a max of a 12 month gap and therefore there wouldn't be a problem with high school / the teenage years.

This is obviously based on a 1 intake per year scenario like in SA.

I agree with a PP who said it should be the same rules across Australia. In SA, there's kindy the year before you start Reception at Primary school. Kindy is equivalent of 2-2.5 school days and Reception is full time just like every other year at primary school.

Is it the same in any other state?
    The "rules" in NSW are that your child should start school by the time they are 6. Parents who don't send their kids at 4.5 are not breaking any rules.

Personally I think that we should make it uniform across Australia and that every child should start the year they turn 6.

As far as I'm aware, SA is the only state that had more than one intake. That just seems bizarre to me that some kids would miss a term or two of formal schooling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I'm so glad that in NSW I get the choice as there was no way my eldest who is a May baby would've been ready to start school the year she turned 5.

She is turning 8 this year and going into year 2. She's not academic by any stretch but got a high in English on her report last year and a high in one aspect of maths. Something I didn't expect and I know that wouldn't have been possible if she started school at 4 years of age.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Chippa  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

I know at DS school (NSW) their cut off date is March 31 and the youngest boy in his class this year turns 5 in Feb so most will be turning 18 in year 12
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 26-01-2016 at 12:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post
    The "rules" in NSW are that your child should start school by the time they are 6. Parents who don't send their kids at 4.5 are not breaking any rules.

Personally I think that we should make it uniform across Australia and that every child should start the year they turn 6.

As far as I'm aware, SA is the only state that had more than one intake. That just seems bizarre to me that some kids would miss a term or two of formal schooling?
    They would often do 6 terms of reception or just the 4. I'm a November baby so I only did 4 once I was 5 years old

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week

Default Parents with kids starting school at less than 5yo

Quote Originally Posted by BigRedV View Post

It's changed now. There are a couple of private schools that do two intakes still but it's pretty much one now.

Kids that started in Term 2 were considered 'at risk' because they only had three terms of reception, otherwise they would get 4, 5 or 6.

ETA I agree though, it was a bit bizarre!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP, another thing to keep in mind is 'age groups' for things such as school sports (athletics and swimming carnivals) and sports clubs (eg soccer). I found my ds2wasn't in the same age groups as the kids in his year... He was a year younger in age groups. This became an issue particularly when he wanted to play at the local soccer club with his wchool mates.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (26-01-2016),just her chameleon  (26-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (26-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by littleriv View Post
    Hi OP, another thing to keep in mind is 'age groups' for things such as school sports (athletics and swimming carnivals) and sports clubs (eg soccer). I found my ds2wasn't in the same age groups as the kids in his year... He was a year younger in age groups. This became an issue particularly when he wanted to play at the local soccer club with his wchool mates.
    Very good point! Even at school though they are separated into years not grades which makes it tricky when getting to upper primary.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to just her chameleon For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (26-01-2016)