+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Brother diagnosed with cancer of the lungs, liver & lymph nodes.

Hi all, we have just been told my brother has cancer of the lung, liver & lymph nodes. He's seeing an oncologist this week for a clearer prognosis. I saw him today & he was in so much pain he could hardly move. He can't even get himself out of bed or shower himself. He has lost a lot of weight & has become skin & bones. He isn't eating or drinking much as he has no appetite. Does anyone have any experience with these cancers? What we could expect. We saw him on Christmas Day & he didn't look well but we (& him) had no idea this was going on. His main symptom was severe back pain. He is 53 years old. I'm heartbroken. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by ertgirl; 12-02-2016 at 20:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Mega hugs.

I wish I could help hun. Sorry I don't know anything.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Mega hugs.

I wish I could help hun. Sorry I don't know anything.
    Thanks, I think it just helps to share it too. I can't sleep for the 2nd night in a row. He has suffered so much in his life- losing his 10 week old daughter to SIDS. He just doesn't deserve any more pain or suffering.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm so sorry, what heartbreaking news to receive. I am a cancer nurse and the best advice I think I could give without knowing anything about your brother or his prognosis would be to seek out a palliative care referral. Pal care are an amazing and incredibly supportive team for the patient and their family. They focus on quality of life and pain management and I think these two areas are so important in cancer care. Cancer can be incredibly painful but a good pain management plan can make a huge difference to patient quality of life.

Hugs. Life is just crappy cruel and unfair sometimes.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016),SpecialK  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am so sorry you and your family have to experience this big hugs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PipersMummy For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by A&S View Post
    I'm so sorry, what heartbreaking news to receive. I am a cancer nurse and the best advice I think I could give without knowing anything about your brother or his prognosis would be to seek out a palliative care referral. Pal care are an amazing and incredibly supportive team for the patient and their family. They focus on quality of life and pain management and I think these two areas are so important in cancer care. Cancer can be incredibly painful but a good pain management plan can make a huge difference to patient quality of life.

Hugs. Life is just crappy cruel and unfair sometimes.
    Thanks for the support. A & S does the pal care team come to your own home or is it in hospital? When my dad was dying he was getting pal care at hospital. Thanks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My dad had a similar diagnosis. He worked in a manual labour type of job and just put his back pain down to that. It wasn't until he got bronchitis that we were finally able to drag him to the doctors and he was diagnosed with lung cancer after that. He also had it in his lymph nodes and around his heart. It's such a stressful time and feels like forever to get proper answers and a treatment plan.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to bluehawaii For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sending you hugs. I have no advice but am going through simular. BIL has advanced prostate cancer, pancreatic cancer and bone cancer in pelvis, groin and spine. He will be lucky to have a few years. He was only recently diagnosed.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not too sure, it would depend on the services run through your hospital. I would think not though, unless it was specifically for end of life care. It's definitely worth speaking to the nurses looking after your brother though.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    So many hugs hon

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a scary time for all of you, especially your poor brother.

I hope you get some answers. The initial shock of the diagnosis must be incredibly daunting

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

ertgirl  (25-01-2016)