+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I have 4 kids and 3 are at school full time this year. I also have 2 dogs so it's pretty full on.

I have a cleaner who comes every Tuesday. But that just scratches the surface. I do a lot of incidental cleaning during the week when I get a chance or something needs doing.

DH does the groceries on Saturday morning but I am able to get top ups during the week as there's a supermarket close to the girls' school. I'm shocking at meal planning (I actually can't be bothered). I may have to get better at it this year as my son's school is further away.

I do a lot of washing and ironing at night. Not perfect as I'd rather be doing nothing on the couch but this way I get to spend my free days whether my youngest free of jobs.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work 5 days till school pick up time. I'm particular about our butcher so go after school with DD, fruit and veg is Saturday mornings at the market and we all go together to help carry. Groceries are usually once a month for the pantry and big things and I buy tins, washing detergent etc in bulk. Cleaning is not my job, I work nearly the hours that DH does (and I don't get time off for sport like he does) so I've fought pretty hard to make sure that it's everyone's responsibility to help, not just me. DD is six and she has small jobs to do like putting toilet paper in the bathrooms, folding washing, tidying and cleaning her room, spray and wipe cupboards etc - she's a bit hit and miss but it's the fact that she does it what counts. I refuse to have a grown up daughter who is useless and thinks the fairies come and do it while no one is watching.

In saying that - I could shop for Australia at the Olympics and love to cook and plan ahead, so shopping is never a chore for me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    On weekends I do minimum laundry (uniforms and anything absolutely necessary), dishes that get used during the weekend, and floors (on Sunday evening)...and the bathroom gets a quick wipe down. Shopping we do together on Sat (for Sat-Mon)

Everything else gets done during the week- floors, linen, laundry, shopping (Tues-Fri) etc.

I don't drive, so shopping has to be done when H is home.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I put on a load of washing every night set on a timer to use off peak power, same with dishwasher. I hang it out every morning while playing ball with the dog. Take it off in the afternoon while playing with dog again.

I usually shop either with the kids or after I've dropped them at day care. I'm a shift worker so sometimes I'm home and they are at care. I go hard on those days to get as much done as I can but I still lose the battle. They can mess faster than I can clean and I'm a solo mum.

I clean up the dinner mess when they are in bed.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I work 5 days 7am - 3pm but occasionally I have to stay later than 3pm. I've found that I need to have specific days for everything otherwise I get behind. Also DH and I work as a team and share the load, I think this is so important if you have a partner. Our house and garden are not the tidiest but we do what we can.

Wednesday night - do washing and hang it out

Thursday night - bring it in and fold/iron. DH always helps.

Saturday morning - do washing again and clean the house while DH takes DD to a 2-hour gymnastics class and he does the grocery shopping while he waits for her to finish her class. We have a meal planning list for the week so we know what groceries to buy and what dinner we're having every night, DH doesn't like this much coz he prefers to be more spontaneous with dinner but he can see how much easier it makes things!

Sunday night - folding/ironing again. I only ever iron uniforms, nice clothes, etc - not T shirts and shorts or pillowcases or anything. My SIL rolls her eyes at me because she irons everything but I couldn't give a toss - life's too short and our family looks presentable whenever we got to school/work/nice event so that's the main thing.

Weekdays - I get up 5am so I can fit in a workout, then start work at 7am so DH drops DD to school at 8.15am and then heads to work, I pick her up about 3.15pm from school and DH gets home about 6pm or so. Every afternoon I try and do 15 mins of homework with DD, her school is quite slack about homework but I want her to get into good habits before high school. I try and get dinner on the table by 6.30pm at the latest, DH helps too. We have a dishwasher thankfully which saves so much time. DD in bed at 7.30pm with lights out at 8pm - DH and I take turns to listen to her read from her school reader and then she has some time to herself to read her own book before bed. We only have the one child so we are not running around putting multiples to bed!

There's always jobs to do around the house on weeknights, bills to pay, make lunches for next day, etc. My parents are getting older too so often I have to help them out with things. I try to have relaxing time with DH and DD or with friends at least once every weekend. I really have to work at it though and plan it and schedule it in. I know that when DD is older there'll be heaps more free time, this is just a life stage.
    Last edited by aquarius; 13-02-2016 at 21:18.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Housework v work

I do a bit every day, it can be annoying but otherwise it piles up at rapid speed. I find short concentrated bursts make a big difference. Even 15 mins.

Every morning i try take 25 mins before we leave to hang out a load of washing (which I've put on timer to wash night before), unload clean dishes in dishwasher and put our breakfasts stuff away/wipe benches.

Every evening i - bring washing in while DS plays, I put it away straight away. After dinner every night I clean kitchen and sink, run dishwasher, quickly vacuum common areas with stick dyson/ do a quick spot mop with swifer, take out rubbish and throw on a load of washing. I fly around and get it done fast. No more than 30 mins. Then I do the bathroom one night, deep vacuum one night (if DS isn't asleep). Because it gets done every week it doesn't build up and is quick. I also put a tv show on and one night a week I do the home admin with a cup of tea, i file away the weeks mail, pay any bills, and do any stuff like emailing family/booking flights etc. if I've got energy left before bed I spend 15 mins with a basket collecting stray items and putting away. It's not unheard of for me to clean the bathroom at 10pm.

I've got 2 days at home with my DS currently but we're busy and I hate spending it cleaning. Apart from my regular stuff I'll try do any decluttering and dusting. My kitchen gets sprayed down and cleaned every morning and night so it's usually pretty good.

I try and do the groceries one night a fortnight. I just duck out for an hour and when child free it's quick and less people. Sat or sun morning we go to the markets for fresh produce.

I hate spending weekends doing housework, it's family time. So I try limit us to changing beds, gardening and stuff like decluttering/cleaning out car. Sunday arvo I'll spend an hour doing a decent vacuum and mop so it's clean for the week. Maybe do some ironing or a deep clean where it's needed.

I find fly lady has heaps of good tips. I hate spending my free time doing too many chores so I try to be strategic, get it done quick and do it regularly so it doesn't build up. Im also a day planner nerd and I find following a schedule gives me so much more free time.
    Last edited by Clementine Grace; 13-02-2016 at 22:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another tip I find that saves time (and money) is that once every 2-3 months, I do a big bulk shop at costco or the like. I buy toilet paper, paper towel, nappies, all cleaning supplies, as many toiletries as I can (even if I have to duck to a few places). I buy any food stuff at costco I can get in bulk like tinned stuff, coffee etc. I also restock the medicine box with Panadol/kids nurofen etc. it costs a bit but it lasts for a good 2.5-3 months and then my grocery shops are much quicker (and cheaper) and I don't have to run out for toilet paper or nappies or kids panadol etc.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Clementine Grace For This Useful Post:

PinkPopsicle  (13-02-2016)