+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Bipolar 2, What has your experience been?

G'day,

My partner has been given a diagnosis of bipolar 2. He has been given epilim and is working his way up to a dose of 300mg over the next 3 weeks. He has just started the 200mg dose and is feeling very nervous, about everything. Would that be a normal reaction to the medication and will it subside?

His initial appointment was with the first gp we could get him into after he was having panic attacks all over Christmas. I think the diagnosis could be correct, but I want a second opinion to confirm, DH is not sure its the right thing either, and now with his anxiety peaking again on the medication he is very confused.

He has always been an anxious person, since I have known him. But it was really triggered by the births of our children and the purchase of our new house. He can't handle daily life at the moment, and has just left to do a few hours at his work, to calm down. Just prior he took my eldest to the tip to drop of a load of green waste. He came back, and told me with tears in his eyes to not trust him driving with the kids anymore. I totally respect him for telling me that. He is in so much pain at the moment, he can't stand to be around the kids, when they are yelling and being loud and not listening. He hates that they annoy him.

I dunno, I just need to hear other peoples experiences, because at the moment it is just so hard. So hard and stressful, and I just need a break from it all.

If any pumpkins read this, could you please not say anything on our facey page?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I couldn't read and run, I'm sorry that you have to go through this. I haven't got any useful info on the medication, but I think it is worth checking with Drs if it has exacerbated his feelings. Good luck.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Green Cheese For This Useful Post:

Trio  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks, we have an appointment with a doctor I totally trust on Thursday. He was there when I birthed my babies and got me through a bad case of pnd. Dh also has s follow up appointment with the first doctor the week after.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm Bipolar 2.
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. I'm not 100% on this but I'm not sure anxiety is a huge part of bipolar...I certainly don't suffer from it. I could be wring though.

For me, bipolar is like two personalities. One is the happy, bubbly, excited doesn't need sleep, motivated person. The other is the sad, angry, no motivation, doesn't want to get out of bed person.

The way I explain bipolar to other people is...
    If you think of your emotions on the scale of 1-100. Most people will sit somewhere about 60/70 with low days that could take u down to 40/50. Well, when your bipolar your 'ups' are +300...uncontrollable happy and your lows are -300...want to do something silly depressed.

In regards to medications, be patient, they will take a while and they may not be the right ones for your partner. I was first put on lithium and Lexapro and hated it. My sex drive was nothing and I gain weight like crazy and (going back to the scale of 1-100) I would sit on 50 constantly...no emotion what so ever. I came off those meds and was stable un-medicated for over a year. I relapsed and now I'm on new meds and they are brilliant.

Again, be patient with your partner, it takes a lot to accept a diagnosis plus finding the right meds can take time too. It took me nearly a year to finally accept that I was mentally ill, and that doesn't include the 5 years I was in denial for. Only now, 3 years into it have I accepted that I NEED to be medicated and I'm a better, wife/mother/person for it.

If u have any questions please don't hesitate to ask.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to loislane2010 For This Useful Post:

alliecat89  (23-01-2016),ChatlotteA  (23-01-2016),FirstTimeMummy2012  (23-01-2016),minigourmands  (24-01-2016),Trio  (23-01-2016),VicPark  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Loislane thanks,

The doctor diagnosed him as bipolar as having a 'manic' states when he is a work, flat out, rushing, busy, talking fast, then staying up at night working not being able to sleep. And having anxiety as s result if that. Then like today, he was down, like most weekends when he is just at home. Easily annoyed, not being able to see a way out, and end point to not having time to himself. (Which I make sure he gets, he goes fishing every full moon, hunting weekends, as much as I hate hunting. )

I try to be as patient as I can. He was there for me when I had pnd. This has been going on for 4 years and thinking that after finally getting him to see a doctor, and that only being just tge begining. Oh man.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was diagnosed with bipolar 17 years ago. It sounds like he is in the depressive phase of it which, for me, anxiety is always present. Is he seeing a psychiatrist for medications? I was on 3 medications for a long time one of them was epilim/ valpro, it's mood stabilizer. (I cut that one out when planning for pregnancy). I'm also on an anti -depressant, & a small dose of an anti psychotic which, in my case, is used to treat anxiety.

What you are describing sounds normal, that noises & tasks like driving can seem very overwhelming at times. Like a pp mentioned it may take time to find the right combination of medications- all the best with it. If you want to ask me anything- happy to help.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to green tea For This Useful Post:

Trio  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Bipolar 2, What has your experience been?

He just saw this one doctor twice. The doctor first thought it was s heart thing. I just hope this is the right diagnosis and this medication isn't screwing with him for nothing.
    Last edited by Trio; 23-01-2016 at 16:30.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be asking for a referral to a psychiatrist for a thorough diagnosis and treatment plan. GPS ate not best place to treat Bipolar, especially initial diagnosis.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

minigourmands  (24-01-2016),Trio  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think so too. How can you get such a big diagnosis after 20 minutes over two appointments?

AdornedWithCats is offline Winner 2013 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Winner 2014 - Best Username

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 12/6/15Funniest Caption400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week
    Hugs @Trio
    We've recently gone through something similar but it's turned out to be something different than we expect.

Also, @Patience86 might have some advice?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AdornedWithCats For This Useful Post:

Trio  (23-01-2016)