+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Positive Social Inductions.

Reasons for considering a social induction.

• 4th baby, last labour was 1 hr and 40 mins
    • closest support person (my mum) is 2 hrs quick drive away
    • we have 4, 3 and 2 yr old. None of which are tv kids, so putting a movie on to distract them is never going to work.
    • 20 min drive to Closest hospital
    • 2nd bub had fairly scary shoulder distotia
    • 3rd bub I was 10 gram off of pp haemorrhage.

This decision is not being made lightly, AT ALL, I am FULLY AWARE of all the horror stories, the cascade of intervention, the risk of c/s and every other bad thing that could possibly go wrong.

BUT, in my opinion, sitting on the side of the road with either a baby stuck in my pelvis or bleeding out, is slightly more risky.

so what I'm asking is if there are any ladies out there that have had social inductions for any of the reasons above, and if so would you recommend it??

TIA.

ETA: my mum works full time, so couldn't come and 'stay until bub comes'. And we live and work on a dairy, so staying closer to town is not an option (we have nowhere to stay anyway).
    we are new to the area, have only been here for 12 months and have been working flat out so haven't had time to find a support network. Hence not having anyone closer than my mum.
    Last edited by kezty; 23-01-2016 at 07:08.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, I haven't had a social induction but just wanted to say that those all sound like very good social and medical reasons to have one!

Your birth experience is yours - so don't let anyone make you feel bad if that's the decision you'll feel more comfortable with and what will make you feel more relaxed.

For what it's worth, I was induced at 38+2 with twins (medical reasons) and my induction labour and birth experience was incredibly positive. My waters were broken, drip started, and my babies arrived 3 minutes apart 12 hours later. I did have an epidural that didn't work too well, but it was still calm, positive and lovely.

Anything can happen in any labour. Yes you might be more likely to have interventions in an induced labour but that can happen in a spontaneous labour too. And if you're stressed about your other kids and your mum not being there you will be less relaxed... Which is not good for delivery either!

All the best x

3. The Following User Says Thank You to MrsA2B For This Useful Post:

kezty  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Me! It was fine it was my first and I birth quite quickly we discovered.

I had Cervidil though - went in at 7 for CGT for a while, had it inserted at about 9ish. Removed at 12. Had a small sleep. Active labour began at 3ish. Baby born at 7.

Absolutely no issues, interventions etc. No fetal distress. Was quite straight forward.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Mrsa2b.

i have read so many people's opinions on these inductions, that I am really starting to feel I'm risking our lives if I do it.
    But at the same time, I feel really strongly that I'm risking our lives if I don't.... It's doing my head in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks
    hopefully if I get a few replies, it might put my mind at ease

Thanks
    Reviews
    Induction comes with additional risks as mentioned in your post. The ladies who were lucky and didn't experience complications will say it was a positive experience, those who experienced complications will likely say otherwise.

I was induced for medical reasons and it was not a positive experience.

At the end of the day it's your choice and you need to be able to justify your decision to yourself if the outcome isn't positive.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry I just realised my post might sound a bit harsh, I didn't mean for it to. It's a hard choice to make. The only other suggestion (which might be totally impracticable) is for your kids to go to the hospital with you and your partner stay with them in the waiting area until your mum can pick them up.

Also (if you haven't done so already) find out if the hospital will induce you without a medical reason.

Thanks
    Reviews
    All good.

although i I would pay money to watch hubby trying to wrangle the 3 kids in the waiting room for 2 hrs haha. Hubby would end up in A&E having a brain aneurism haha.

As for the hospital, I will be having my app with them next week, and with the support of my dr (who is 100% in agreence with it) will be having some serious discussions with them. And if that fails we have another hospital that is 1hr away that is bigger and more able to support me.

it all just depends on the discussions I will be having with all the appropriate Drs/midwives.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to kezty For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Anyone else?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was induced with my first, she had to be vacuumed out, but in hind sight this was more because I wasn't pushing right over being induced ( my muscles do something weird that's not normal so when I breath they do opposite to what others do)

I'm not going to lie it was 60sec contractions every 2 mins from the beginning and I got an epi. My 2nd wasn't anywhere near as painful but I had tens machine so I think that helped greatly

I think based on your needs then ( if I was in your shoes) I would go for the induction.
    We were literally less than 5 mins from having a baby by the side of the road. One more red light and she would have been.
    If we go back for a 3rd it's highly likely I'll need to get induced again as #2 came very quick, and the thought DOESNT terrify me so that has to be positive right? I'm more concerned about home birth with the two kids here

13. The Following User Says Thank You to maternidade For This Useful Post:

kezty  (24-01-2016)