+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    BTW there are also volunteer groups that do this. I was part of one in Brisbane with my church. You'd have a list of ppl usually 4-6 that you would visit at least once a month to just visit/check on them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wonder about the legality of entering an aged care facility (presumably without their 'express' permission as you're being paid by the clients family) for the purposes of formally assessing their care. They have trained qualified people that undertake accreditation and assessment including spot checks so I shouldn't imagine this would go down well.
    I think the purpose of your idea is to check on whether people who are receiving care are receiving quality care/what they are paying for/not being neglected? Or is it to assess their general wellbeing to see if they need care? If so there are plenty of ages care assessment services that do this (often at no cost).
    It's not a service I would pay for sorry. I live in the same state as my parents. If they were interstate I would visit periodically and if they had care needs I would communicate directly with the care provider. I also think $88 for a 20 minute visit is quite steep (especially if no tertiary level quals).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a practical matter, how would you get in to an aged care facility to do the check? Most would have a front desk i would think to check on who's coming and going, and lots would have locked doors to stop residents, esoecially those with dementia, wandering.

I am also sceptical that you could do much more than a cursory review in 20 min. Like PPs have said, aged care accreditation and review is serious business, not something you could meaningfully consider in 20 min.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Where I am from flights are a hell of a lot more expensive than $88.
    Even if the flights were cheap what if someone was working and could only get to visit their parent every now and then?
    True, but even double or triple that amount, I would rather the $88 go towards me visiting my mum or dad. Just my personal opinion.

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    True, but even double or triple that amount, I would rather the $88 go towards me visiting my mum or dad. Just my personal opinion.
    I agree that this is the optimal solution, but it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes adult children are stuck caring for a spouse or child, out have their own health struggles, and honestly can not get away. That said, I don't see myself using a service like this but that is because I work in the industry and know who to contact. But if someone is genuinely unaware of what assessment services are available (regional assessment services, aged care assessment services etc) they might see a service like this come up on Google and think it is the way to go.

I guess that I just feel that in the absence of any kind of care coordination or linkages to service providers it is just adding another intrusive step (because the ras or acat assessment will need to be done regardless, if they are at the beginning of their journey) in what can a difficult process for an older person.
    Last edited by SpecialPatrolGroup; 24-01-2016 at 00:31.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SpecialPatrolGroup View Post
    I agree that this is the optimal solution, but it doesn't always work like that. Sometimes adult children are stuck caring for a spouse or child, out have their own health struggles, and honestly can not get away .
    And that is why I said 'I' and 'for me'. I'm not talking about anyone else, just my personal thoughts on whether *i* would use such a service