Idea for senior care business | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Idea for senior care business

Hi everyone, I wanted to ask a quick question on a business idea I have.

I would like to setup a service which trains people (including mums) to become senior care auditors.

Senior care auditors will visit your elderly parents who live alone at home (and receive home care) or live in aged care. During the visit (20 - 25 minutes) the auditor will go through and check your senior's well-being, including safety, comfort, cleanliness etc and provide a report to you afterwards.

This is to give peace of mind to you to ensure your elderly parents are safe and in good care.

Because I'm testing the idea, I would be so grateful if you could give your thoughts on:

1. Is this service something you would use for your elderly parents / relatives?

2. Would you pay $88 per visit?

Thank you so much!!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to melody1982 For This Useful Post:

Skye Baby  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    1. Only if I was living in a different location than my parents
    2. Probably not. You can hire a cleaner for an hour for $60. Discounted further if a subsidy is provided. I would probably only hire someone to audit if they had formal
    Qualifications (a nurse etc). Then if they had those formal
    Qualifications I might pay the $88

4. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (22-01-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would only pay if I was not able to be present myself, and didn't have a trusted person to check in for me.

Things to consider
    Consent - does the older person have capacity to agree to your performing this function? If they decline to allow it to be done but you have shown up, what will you report to the family, if the older person does not want you to report back to the family (believe me, this is common).
    Follow up - so you uncover a problem, now what? Do you have the resources to refer on to appropriate services, do you have a second tier service to case manage/advocate?
    What is the extend of the visit? Are you checking for cognition, medications, health conditions, mobility, falls risks etc?
    What is a problem to you may not be a problem to an older person - older people often state that their family interfere where they don't want them to and remove comforts for fear of falling, out remove sentimental items because family deem them to be clutter, family often try to remove all risk but in doing so they stop the older person doing things for themselves which can lead to a decline in their independence.
    Who is your client? The family paying the bill or the older person?

Your business idea reminds me of the Regional Assessment Service model, but as a for profit.

Sorry to sound negative. Just throwing some curly questions at you as food for thought

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SpecialPatrolGroup For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is something I'd rather do personally than get someone else to do. Not because I didn't want to pay $88 but because it feels so impersonal, almost like 'I can't be bothered to check on you so I'll pay someone else to do it'.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi there, do you mean this service would be in addition to the at home care/ nurse visit? Ie it would in effect be an 'audit' of the formal care to make sure the client is being looked after properly? My nan has daily at home visits by a nurse who also performs a general check of the household, and makes an assessment of how nan is going incl household cleanliness. They also make appointments for her and arrange transport so she can shop and go to hairdresser etc. They then report back to my parents. So , no, i wouldnt want someone extra on top of that doing an audit. I would also think that care in nursing homes would be subject to regular checks and audits already? Although you do hear of the occasional horrible story about patient care in homes...
    I can see the potential for your idea in nursing homes.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to littleriv For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I wold have the same concerns as PP regarding privacy and autonomy. I also think if I could afford $88 for a 20 minute check up session I could afford to get to my elderly parent to check up on them myself. Flights are fairly cheap these days. I can't see a scenario where I would use such a service, sorry.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Disability and community aged care qld already have this service. Under government funding. There are 2 types of funding one is a per visit used to be called HACC service which is a pay per visit for social, nursing and domestic cleaning in qld is $7 per hour usually based on 1-2 hours per week. Then there are the Home Care Packages which are more involved these are approx $130 per fortnight for 8-16 hours.

Both of these packages are suitable for people who are financially disadvantaged as fee waivers can be put in place. They also involve all care needs from co-ordination to house cleaning, mowing and gardening, meal prep, nursing, social, transport. Referrals are sent out for occupational therapies, and home modifications these are also a free service.

Maybe you could find a gap in there somewhere. Good luck with your venture

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cazza1981 For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016),misskittyfantastico  (23-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I wouldn't use a service like this.
    Most councils offer services to check on people who may require more care, they are liked up to services they need and go from there.
    How trained would your staff be? Insurance? Police checks?

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

melody1982  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks VicPark, SpecialPatrolGroup, babyno1onboard, littleriv, FearlessLeader, Cazza1981 and Lincolns mummy's for your thoughtful answers / feedback!! Lots for me to think about with regards to this idea. Thanks again

18. The Following User Says Thank You to melody1982 For This Useful Post:

littleriv  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    if I could afford $88 for a 20 minute check up session I could afford to get to my elderly parent to check up on them myself. Flights are fairly cheap these days. .
    Where I am from flights are a hell of a lot more expensive than $88.
    Even if the flights were cheap what if someone was working and could only get to visit their parent every now and then?