+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    That sounds almost exactly like my surgeries but I had the top jaw moved in 3 pieces in the second surgery.

The expansion and wisdom removal (first surgery) wasn't to bad. The worst bit was that I couldn't talk at all when the expander went in. Took about a week until anyone could understand me then I had a big impediment until it was removed - a few months after surgery from memory. Wasn't expecting it at all so was pretty upset that I couldn't talk, especially as I lived my myself and worked etc
    wow. That's full on. She is grade 9 and never stops talking. I better ask about that. Thank you.
    I was thinking the expander sounded like pure torture. So I am glad it's not as bad as it sounds.

Thanks for telling me about your experience

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Yeah my expander was a metal thing that attached to two teeth on either side and went directly across so basically you can only put your tongue up as far as you teeth and not to the roof of your mouth which you soon realise you do heaps when talking. After surgery you basically insert an Allen key in and turn it one turn each night. It got a little achy but that's it.

The talking thing got me the most and I cried a fair bit over it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yeah my expander was a metal thing that attached to two teeth on either side and went directly across so basically you can only put your tongue up as far as you teeth and not to the roof of your mouth which you soon realise you do heaps when talking. After surgery you basically insert an Allen key in and turn it one turn each night. It got a little achy but that's it.

The talking thing got me the most and I cried a fair bit over it.
    Yeah that is the thing.
    Can I ask how long you had off for that surgery?
    She will be in the middle of a term at school.
    Thanks for all this. It really helps
    Last edited by LoveLivesHere; 17-03-2016 at 18:39.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Can't really remember sorry but I don't remember it being more than a few days

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Can't really remember sorry but I don't remember it being more than a few days
    Thanks.
    This surgery was tacted on at the end of the consult so I didn't get to ask many questions about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I have nothing to contribute to the thread, but I hope that both the surgery and recovery go well.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SSecret Squirrel For This Useful Post:

gingermillie  (17-03-2016),LoveLivesHere  (17-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's alright. I can remember way back when I ended up finding a jaw surgery forum and lurked a lot - don't think I ever posted - and found it helpful as there were a lot of people going through it just before me so could give hints and tips. Can't remember what's it's called tho, sorry

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Sorry compete stalker alert but I just wanted to add I met @shani2 a few years (and babies!) ago and honestly her face is perfect! I would never have known she's undergone extensive jaw and oral surgery.

Shani so sorry you went through what you did but they did a great job. You're face is perfect.

Sorry I sound like a complete lunatic now. Just wanted to reassure @LoveLivesHere

Xx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (20-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Anyone had a chin reduction? Or jaw surgery?

Stalker here too... My DS 7 has an expander on now. Has it on for 3 months.

It's not too bad. After a week he was talking much clearer. Now after nearly 2 months it's just normal. Although he won't know himself when he gets it off! Then he has another fixed plate for a further 12 months but this one just sits behind the teeth, not near the roof so won't affect his speech as much.

Can't believe the difference it's made & has been totally worth it

*obviously ours is a very minor part of the total work your DD is having done
    Last edited by VirgoMama; 18-03-2016 at 00:57.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    Sorry compete stalker alert but I just wanted to add I met @shani2 a few years (and babies!) ago and honestly her face is perfect! I would never have known she's undergone extensive jaw and oral surgery.

Shani so sorry you went through what you did but they did a great job. You're face is perfect.

Sorry I sound like a complete lunatic now. Just wanted to reassure @LoveLivesHere

Xx
    That's ok, only mildly stalkerish, and your right, my DH didn't even know when we first started dating until he saw a pre op photo and he asked why I looked so different and if it was really me!

That was a whole long time ago, back when DS1 was only a few months old and you were still pregnant with your DD3.