+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    I think the surgeon/anesthetist covered everything quite well. The pain aspect was probably played down a bit...which is just as well as I think if my DH knew it was going to be so sore he may have thought twice (not really an option any way as it was a medical not a cosmetic surgery ). I think if your DD has anxiety already it's probably best not to focus too much on pain pre-op. Despite the pain my DH was super happy with the results once he'd recovered.
    DH was in hospital 6 nights including 1 night in ICU.
    Off work for 12 wks, but the norm is 6wks - he's a firefighter so wouldn't be able to wear a face mask, so needed to be 100% functional to return to work.
    Eating liquid food for a week (sustain, smoothies) very soft (mashed potato style) for 2 weeks. Improved every week though. Couldn't eat steak for 3mths. He lost about 5kgs, but was a big muscle firefighter to begin with.
    Only ongoing issue is some very occasional irritation from one of the screws in his upper jaw near his nose.
    He has no regrets...loves his "new" better proportioned face. It was a long haul but worth it.
    Thanks.

Dd's is medical too. Her teeth don't match up to eat. We have already done 4 years of treatments that have failed.
    She will be year 10 or 11 by the time the surgery happens. We first have to go through process of convincing the professor that it should be done. Even though we have been told by the professor that retired last year that needs to be done. Her jaw will be done but the chin is up in the air a bit. The orthodontist thinks it does need to be done.

She has a very pointed chin. It so long and out that it balances her top jaw. So at quick glance you can't tell how bad her overbite is. So once that jaw is moved forward 1.4 cms her chin will also stick out even more. Iykim

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes its an expensive exercise which is made more complicated by the fact Medicare doesn't cover anything to do with teeth...which is quite ridiculous given teeth attach to jaws! We had top level private health cover (upgraded just to cover the surgery..was a 12mth wait, but the orthodontics took that long anyway ) and we're still almost 10k out of pocket! Fortunately we paid of the surgeons fee over a period of time. The PHI paid out over 25k that year...
    He could have gone public but we're concerned how long he would have to wait and also whether they would do the so - called cosmetic/teeth work...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Yes its an expensive exercise which is made more complicated by the fact Medicare doesn't cover anything to do with teeth...which is quite ridiculous given teeth attach to jaws! We had top level private health cover (upgraded just to cover the surgery..was a 12mth wait, but the orthodontics took that long anyway ) and we're still almost 10k out of pocket! Fortunately we paid of the surgeons fee over a period of time. The PHI paid out over 25k that year...
    He could have gone public but we're concerned how long he would have to wait and also whether they would do the so - called cosmetic/teeth work...
    We are blessed it's all being done publicly. So we don't need to pay anything. We don't have any phi.

I also think medicare should cover teeth.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That's great. I hope she can get everything done that she needs...keep pushing! It will give so much more confidence x

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Wow - thats terrible! Pain management was discussed extensively with us - it was possibly a more extensive operation as DH had a planned 24hrs in ICU and had a PCA for 3 days...even with that he was very sore! Once the PCA was down he was on Opiod medication for several weeks. Pethidine injections is a terrrible option!! There is no way DH would have managed without the PCA...you poor thing!!
    Yep, had a 24 hr ICU stay. He did 4 surgeries similar that day and I was by far his most complicated. Took nearly 5 hrs. I had already seen 2 surgeons previously who weren't confident enough to do it so referred me on.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    Yep, had a 24 hr ICU stay. He did 4 surgeries similar that day and I was by far his most complicated. Took nearly 5 hrs. I had already seen 2 surgeons previously who weren't confident enough to do it so referred me on.
    Wow, it is crazy that you had such terrible pain management after such an extensive op . You should have put in a complaint - pain management is the realm of the anestyetist and he/she let you down badly!. My DHs op was massive too..he was under for 9 hrs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Thank you both for sharing your stories. It has been very helpful.

Is there anything that you wish you knew before hand?

I need to write questions for the surgeon. Dds anxiety is too high.

How long did you have to have off work?
    How long were you in hospital?
    Have had any on going issues?
    How long before you were eating properly again?
    When you say you hated the way you looked and didn't feel like you was that before or after?

Thank you so much.
    Probably just the pain stuff

I would have tried to put on some weight if I could have. I ended up very underweight despite lots of sustagen etc. I lost 5kg in a week and then lost another 5 over the next few weeks. I didn't have any to loose and it took me 6 months or so to regain it.

Had 6 weeks off work and then went back on nightshift for 2 weeks so I didn't have to talk as much, I was still pretty sore.

As I said before I was in 5 days. They wanted me to stay longer but I refused.

I needed 3 root canals on my lower front teeth when my braces came off they were grey and looked dead. After that the surgeon said it might have eventually improved on its own but it was likely the nerves were cut when moving my chin. I also have no sensation in my teeth so had the root canals without any local or anything.

I think it was 3 or so months before eating normally, but I could eat soft foods after 4-6 weeks.

I feel like I look like me post surgery. It's like the photos of me as a kid look like me now rather than me before surgery if that makes sense.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Wow, it is crazy that you had such terrible pain management after such an extensive op . You should have put in a complaint - pain management is the realm of the anestyetist and he/she let you down badly!. My DHs op was massive too..he was under for 9 hrs!
    Yeah but it took me so long to recover that by the time I was feeling up to it I was over it. I thought about it a year or so later but never did anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Update... We saw a new surgeon today. The plan has been totally changed. The new plan is 2 surgeries.
    The first one to remove two wisdoms teeth and spilt her top palate. Than we will need to turn the stretcher key serval time a day to widen her top jaw. Than months of braces and than surgery no2. Completely cutting of her top and bottom jaw. Rotating and tilting and extra things in.
    Than more braces.

We start in 7 weeks.

Thanks
    Reviews
    That sounds almost exactly like my surgeries but I had the top jaw moved in 3 pieces in the second surgery.

The expansion and wisdom removal (first surgery) wasn't to bad. The worst bit was that I couldn't talk at all when the expander went in. Took about a week until anyone could understand me then I had a big impediment until it was removed - a few months after surgery from memory. Wasn't expecting it at all so was pretty upset that I couldn't talk, especially as I lived my myself and worked etc