+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 33
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,646
    Thanks
    15,089
    Thanked
    11,255
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week

    Default Anyone had a chin reduction? Or jaw surgery?

    So Dd2 is having her bottom jaw added to by 1.4 cms, her lip loosened, her chin reduced. There has been talk of reshaping the top jaw too. She has to have 12 to 18th of braces first to get the teeth in the right spot for surgery and than another 6 months after.

    So has anyone had this or something similar done.

    What advice do have?
    Any questions you think we should ask?
    Did you have trouble with your chin going to floppy?
    Anything you could share about your experience?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    5,554
    Thanks
    1,602
    Thanked
    2,360
    Reviews
    6
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    @theboysandme had jaw surgery not too long ago - hopefully she can help!

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Cue For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (22-01-2016)

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,646
    Thanks
    15,089
    Thanked
    11,255
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue View Post
    @theboysandme had jaw surgery not too long ago - hopefully she can help!
    Thank cue. I did chat to her a bit at the time but would love to chat more now. I am really worried about the chin part as the orthodontist said it was tricky.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,195
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I've had genioplasty (chin moved) a 3 piece Le forte I and a bilateral sagital split osteotomy. So basically they reshape my face and put it back together.

    I had braces for about 18 months pre and the same post. Had the surgery done about a month after I turned 21 so coming up to 9 years ago this year.

    It was one of the most awful things I've ever had done and it took at least 6 weeks to feel at all normal again. But now, all this time later, it was absolutely by far the best thing I've had done. And I felt like that after those 6 weeks were up. I hated the way I looked and I never really felt like me, the difference was incredible.

    Any questions I'm happy to answer

  6. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

  7. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    609
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My (now ex) DH had similar surgery about 2 yrs ago. Lower jaw cut and pulled back, similar reconstruction to the top jaw - he now has metal plates in both jaws. He has the surgery because he had a benign tumour on his jaw joint that resulted in his face growing out of shape.
    The surgery was tough, a fair bit of pain and a pretty long recovery..but he will tell you it was categorically worth it! Although in the recovery phase I'm pretty sure he wished he'd never done it! His face shape is much more even now and he is extremely happy with the results. He hasn't had any complications/chin issues.
    Advice - find lots of smooth/liquid foods she enjoys. Discuss pain management with your surgeon and anesthetist. Be prepared for a tough recovery.

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

  9. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    3,362
    Thanks
    532
    Thanked
    1,195
    Reviews
    10
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    Advice - find lots of smooth/liquid foods she enjoys. Discuss pain management with your surgeon and anesthetist. Be prepared for a tough recovery.
    This. I would ensure she has an appointment with the anaesthetist pre op and ask about what pain relief would be used.

    I changed surgeons for my big one but previously had all 4 wisdoms out and the roof of my mouth split so my expander would work. I was only in overnight but my anaesthetist gave me a PCA and said use it if you need, no bother if you don't. I used it once.

    Fast forward to big surgery. Different surgeon and anaesthetist and hospital, didn't discuss analgesia pre op. There plan was pain stop day. That's it. I had the biggest migraine of my life and was in tears by about 5 hours post when everything wore off until my surgeon did his round hours later in the morning. He then prescribed 2 hourly pethedine injections. I couldn't sit anywhere because my butt was so sore. If I had have felt more up to it I would of told them to shove it and call the anaesthetist and arrange a PCA or something else but I couldn't even talk.

    I ended up staying in 5 days then demanding discharge as I just wanted to be home with my mum. I think that my bad recovery lies squarely at the responsibility of my nursing care post op and my pain management, or lack of. Different hospital could have made a huge difference!

  10. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

  11. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    609
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    This. I would ensure she has an appointment with the anaesthetist pre op and ask about what pain relief would be used.

    I changed surgeons for my big one but previously had all 4 wisdoms out and the roof of my mouth split so my expander would work. I was only in overnight but my anaesthetist gave me a PCA and said use it if you need, no bother if you don't. I used it once.

    Fast forward to big surgery. Different surgeon and anaesthetist and hospital, didn't discuss analgesia pre op. There plan was pain stop day. That's it. I had the biggest migraine of my life and was in tears by about 5 hours post when everything wore off until my surgeon did his round hours later in the morning. He then prescribed 2 hourly pethedine injections. I couldn't sit anywhere because my butt was so sore. If I had have felt more up to it I would of told them to shove it and call the anaesthetist and arrange a PCA or something else but I couldn't even talk.

    I ended up staying in 5 days then demanding discharge as I just wanted to be home with my mum. I think that my bad recovery lies squarely at the responsibility of my nursing care post op and my pain management, or lack of. Different hospital could have made a huge difference!
    Wow - thats terrible! Pain management was discussed extensively with us - it was possibly a more extensive operation as DH had a planned 24hrs in ICU and had a PCA for 3 days...even with that he was very sore! Once the PCA was down he was on Opiod medication for several weeks. Pethidine injections is a terrrible option!! There is no way DH would have managed without the PCA...you poor thing!!

  12. The Following User Says Thank You to Kaybaby For This Useful Post:

    LoveLivesHere  (23-01-2016)

  13. #8
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,646
    Thanks
    15,089
    Thanked
    11,255
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    I've had genioplasty (chin moved) a 3 piece Le forte I and a bilateral sagital split osteotomy. So basically they reshape my face and put it back together.

    I had braces for about 18 months pre and the same post. Had the surgery done about a month after I turned 21 so coming up to 9 years ago this year.

    It was one of the most awful things I've ever had done and it took at least 6 weeks to feel at all normal again. But now, all this time later, it was absolutely by far the best thing I've had done. And I felt like that after those 6 weeks were up. I hated the way I looked and I never really felt like me, the difference was incredible.

    Any questions I'm happy to answer
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaybaby View Post
    My (now ex) DH had similar surgery about 2 yrs ago. Lower jaw cut and pulled back, similar reconstruction to the top jaw - he now has metal plates in both jaws. He has the surgery because he had a benign tumour on his jaw joint that resulted in his face growing out of shape.
    The surgery was tough, a fair bit of pain and a pretty long recovery..but he will tell you it was categorically worth it! Although in the recovery phase I'm pretty sure he wished he'd never done it! His face shape is much more even now and he is extremely happy with the results. He hasn't had any complications/chin issues.
    Advice - find lots of smooth/liquid foods she enjoys. Discuss pain management with your surgeon and anesthetist. Be prepared for a tough recovery.
    Thank you both for sharing your stories. It has been very helpful.

    Is there anything that you wish you knew before hand?

    I need to write questions for the surgeon. Dds anxiety is too high.

    How long did you have to have off work?
    How long were you in hospital?
    Have had any on going issues?
    How long before you were eating properly again?
    When you say you hated the way you looked and didn't feel like you was that before or after?


    Thank you so much.

  14. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,646
    Thanks
    15,089
    Thanked
    11,255
    Reviews
    14
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    This. I would ensure she has an appointment with the anaesthetist pre op and ask about what pain relief would be used.

    I changed surgeons for my big one but previously had all 4 wisdoms out and the roof of my mouth split so my expander would work. I was only in overnight but my anaesthetist gave me a PCA and said use it if you need, no bother if you don't. I used it once.

    Fast forward to big surgery. Different surgeon and anaesthetist and hospital, didn't discuss analgesia pre op. There plan was pain stop day. That's it. I had the biggest migraine of my life and was in tears by about 5 hours post when everything wore off until my surgeon did his round hours later in the morning. He then prescribed 2 hourly pethedine injections. I couldn't sit anywhere because my butt was so sore. If I had have felt more up to it I would of told them to shove it and call the anaesthetist and arrange a PCA or something else but I couldn't even talk.

    I ended up staying in 5 days then demanding discharge as I just wanted to be home with my mum. I think that my bad recovery lies squarely at the responsibility of my nursing care post op and my pain management, or lack of. Different hospital could have made a huge difference!
    I am so sorry you went through that. It sounds like it was terrible experience.

    I will make sure they are on top of her pain. I need to be as she sensory issue.

  15. The Following User Says Thank You to LoveLivesHere For This Useful Post:

    shani2  (23-01-2016)

  16. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    1,020
    Thanks
    173
    Thanked
    609
    Reviews
    0
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LoveLivesHere View Post
    Thank you both for sharing your stories. It has been very helpful.

    Is there anything that you wish you knew before hand?

    I need to write questions for the surgeon. Dds anxiety is too high.

    How long did you have to have off work?
    How long were you in hospital?
    Have had any on going issues?
    How long before you were eating properly again?
    When you say you hated the way you looked and didn't feel like you was that before or after?


    Thank you so much.
    I think the surgeon/anesthetist covered everything quite well. The pain aspect was probably played down a bit...which is just as well as I think if my DH knew it was going to be so sore he may have thought twice (not really an option any way as it was a medical not a cosmetic surgery ). I think if your DD has anxiety already it's probably best not to focus too much on pain pre-op. Despite the pain my DH was super happy with the results once he'd recovered.
    DH was in hospital 6 nights including 1 night in ICU.
    Off work for 12 wks, but the norm is 6wks - he's a firefighter so wouldn't be able to wear a face mask, so needed to be 100% functional to return to work.
    Eating liquid food for a week (sustain, smoothies) very soft (mashed potato style) for 2 weeks. Improved every week though. Couldn't eat steak for 3mths. He lost about 5kgs, but was a big muscle firefighter to begin with.
    Only ongoing issue is some very occasional irritation from one of the screws in his upper jaw near his nose.
    He has no regrets...loves his "new" better proportioned face. It was a long haul but worth it.


 

Similar Threads

  1. selective reduction
    By Hopeful15 in forum Pregnancy Tests & Help / Support with Results
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 27-02-2016, 20:35
  2. After surgery TTC
    By Sisilia in forum Endometriosis Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 31-07-2015, 09:58

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
free weekly newsletters | sign up now!
who are these people who write great posts? meet our hubbub authors!
Learn how you can contribute to the hubbub!

reviews
learn how you can become a reviewer!

competitions

forum - chatting now
christmas gift guidesee all Red Stocking
Riverton Leisureplex
An Extreme Family Pass at Riverton Leisureplex is the ultimate way to cool off during the summer school holidays. The $30 Pass allows pool and waterslide access for 2 adults and 2 children, as well as a drink, popcorn and an icy pole for each person.
sales & new stuffsee all
Pea Pods
Buy 2 Award Winning Pea Pods Reusable One Size Nappies for only $38 (in your choice of colours) and receive a FREE roll of Bamboo Liners. Don't miss out, we don't usually have discounts on the nappies, so grab this special offer!
Special Offer! Save $12
featured supporter
Carmels Beauty Secrets
An online beauty and wellness site which offers simple and effective time saving methods and tips which help you look younger for longer.
gotcha
X

Pregnant for the first-time?

Not sure where to start? We can help!

Our Insider Programs for pregnancy first-timers will lead you step-by-step through the 14 Pregnancy Must Dos!