+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Car seat positions

Just wondering how people position their car seats with 2 children.

Currently DD1 is on the passenger side. I'm planning to move her and have the new baby on the passenger side. Do people usually move the older child to the middle or behind the driver?

Sorry it's such a silly question but I'm not sure which is correct or if there is even a correct position.

Also while I'm at it, does anyone know the minimum height to move a child to a booster seat? Everything I read says at age 4 but DD is very tall for her age so I'm looking a height requirement if anyone knows. Have googled but can't find anything.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    DS1 had just turned 2 when DS2 was born. I moved his car seat to behind the driver and put the capsule behind the passenger. DS1 was old enough to get in the passenger side and crawl under the capsule and get into his seat so I wasn't trying to put him in on the road. I found there was always more faffing around with the capsule than there was doing up DS 2's straps. Having the capsule behind the passenger also meant I could reach back at lights or whatever and replace a lost dummy or give a pat or something.

ETA there is no height requirement anymore and the markers on the seats vary between brands. It's all age based now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I left dd on the passenger side & put the capsule behind the driver. She was 2.5yrs when ds arrived so I just left her there. Plus, dh needs more leg room if he is with us than I need in the driver's side & it was too tight with a rf seat.

When we moved ds to ff after his birthday, I swapped them over. He's now on the passenger & likes being able to see me

We bought dd the infasecure evolve when we moved ds to the convertible. She is 4 in March and already 110cm at last measure so quite tall as well. This seat will harness up to approx 8yrs. my understanding is it's legally 4yrs harnessed but I don't know if there are exceptions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    When DS2 came along DS1 moved from the middle to behind the driver and DS2 was in the middle. As moxy did, I always got DS1 to climb in from the passenger seat to his then would just go around and clip him in before I got into my seat.

Now we're about to have DS3 he is behind passenger, then DS1 in the middle and DS2 behind the driver. DS1 is the only one who can do it all himself so makes sense for him to be in the middle (he'll be harnessed for AGES still as he's not quite 3). And DH has the his seat back to far when he drives so capsule won't fit behind the driver so this is the only practical combination.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    DS1 had just turned 2 when DS2 was born. I moved his car seat to behind the driver and put the capsule behind the passenger. DS1 was old enough to get in the passenger side and crawl under the capsule and get into his seat so I wasn't trying to put him in on the road. I found there was always more faffing around with the capsule than there was doing up DS 2's straps. Having the capsule behind the passenger also meant I could reach back at lights or whatever and replace a lost dummy or give a pat or something.

ETA there is no height requirement anymore and the markers on the seats vary between brands. It's all age based now.
    Exactly this for us.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    We're in the same boat and I think we're most definitely moving DS seat to behind driver and having the capsule on the passenger side. If I have to park on the side of the road I'd rather be standing on the footbath to put bub in/out of car and DS is old enough to wait (ie not get out on the roadside) and/or climb across to the passenger side.

We recently bought a booster seat and there is a clear marker on the seat that says their shoulder must reach this line before they are big enough. Height can vary because some have long legs short torsos etc, and it's really a matter of them being secure whilst seated. I think you need to go into a store and try some out as they are all different.

Thanks
    Reviews
    One on each side, none in the middle.

Pain in the bottom trying to lift capsule into the car at the best of times, I really would hate trying to get it into the middle seat rather than on the side!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I'm going to put DS behind the driver only because he's in a forward facing seat which leaves more room for the driver to adjust their seat. I have his seat on the passenger side right now which I thought would be better if I ever park on the side of the road but the number of times I've done that in the 2.5 years since having DS, I could count on one hand.

As far as moving your DD into a booster, she must be at least 4 years old. There's no minimum height, the laws go by age. But there are seats now that harness up to around 8 years of age so you shouldn't have any problem getting her a harnessed seat if she outgrows her current seat before she turns 4.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DarcyJ For This Useful Post:

amyd  (22-01-2016)

hakuna matata is offline The artist formerly know as babyhopeful
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    DS is almost 6 and I'm due with number 2 in March. He is currently passenger side, but he will move behind the driver and the capsule will go on the passenger side

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd1 (3). is middle, always has been, that way I could access her when she was young from either side. Now I can pass her snacks and drinks.
    Dd2 (baby) is passenger side.

As others have said much more faffing about with a baby.

I like not having both either side as otherwise it would of rendered the middle seat useless. Now I can still squeeze someone behind the driver or use it to store a swing, bag etc.