+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    ~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You don't need to justify why it makes you feel the way it does 😃
    But no, it wouldn't bother me at all. I'd think it cute and be really happy for my mum (not saying you aren't). I'd also think she was a little lame saying it so often and including "that's what I call them, my kids" but adorably, "mum-sy" type lame 😜

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum is the same and it drives me nuts. I can't mention my children without her tacking on a comment likening whatever I've said to something with her dogs.

But, my mum has always been a very uninvolved parent (despite me being an only child and her being a single parent) and is now not a very involved grandparent. So I know my irritation is due to underlying issues.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    My parents jokingly called their old dog their kid, even calling him by his name and our family surname on the end. And referring to him as the kids uncle, and their 4th child. Didn't bother me was just glad to see them happy with their companion now all their real kids had flown the nest.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    My parents have a much loved ageing Labrador and a little before Xmas they got a Labrador puppy as well.

Since the new dog has arrived, my mum has taken to referring to both dogs as ‘the kids’. A lot.

My DH got confused a couple of times on Xmas day when mum said things like ‘have the kids eaten yet?’ as he naturally thought she was talking about my brother and I!

I’m thinking, the dogs are not your kids, we are your kids. If the dogs are your kids, what does that make us now?!

This is petty, I know, but it does bug me. Seems like every time I talk to my mum on the phone she’ll mention the dogs as the kids and then always follow with “that’s what I call them, the kids”.

Would this slightly grind your gears?

*Please note, this is specific to my situation and in no way a dig at childless people who consider their pets to be their children*
    Nah it wouldn't bother me, maybe if the dogs ate up at the table haha...but I have two human kids, another on the way and our dog is referred to as a kid sometimes. She is part of the family. Your mum might be trying to fill an empty void maybe.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Would this annoy you a little?

I'd probably think it's a bit stupid/lame calling the dogs "the kids" but I wouldn't let it upset me.

me being me, I'd probably make a scathing comment and offend someone but it would all be in jest.

meh, let them be. it's a harmless thing.
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 22-01-2016 at 20:08.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah it would annoy me too OP. Humanizing animals makes me really uncomfortable. MIL calls her dogs her babies and herself their mum. DP once called me our cat's mum and I must have snarled at him so ferociously he never did it again 😂
    There's a woman at my work who insists that she would be just as upset if her dog died as if one of her children or grandchildren died. I'm super glad I'm not her daughter because to me that is cray cray. And I guess that's why it would bug me- putting a pet on that same level as a child. Nope.

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (22-01-2016),cheeeeesecake  (22-01-2016),KitiK  (22-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (22-01-2016),Tamtam  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm a bit of a pets are pets, people are people person. I don't like it when pets are treated like humans. At some of our family's houses the dogs are able to roam and lick children/beg for food etc. When visitors are at our house I put the dog outside. My husband hates it and thinks the dog should be in with us. But he's a dog! He can be outside in our lovely big backyard. He'll be fine! He doesn't have to be in with us ALL THE TIME! I might be in the minority here but he's a pet, a member of the family but an animal member. So I can understand how you feel a bit there op. It might bug me in your situation.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We live in a neighbourhood with a lot of retirees. They all seem to have dogs, which they treat like their children, some even put their (fluff ball little dogs) in prams to take them walking.... I kid you not!

Maybe it's any empty nest thing. They feel like they need to look after something, and their dogs are it. It doesn't bother me though, each to their own. The dogs are being loved and cared for.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    OMG YES! It would definitely annoy me. I hate when people humanise animals. Our modern western society is so crazy stupid about animals (particularly dogs!) sometimes. My mum has a dog, and she says things like 'he think's he's people', 'he's so spoilt', etc, whilst rolling her eyes - all tongue in cheek. But I would be annoyed if she put her dog on the same level of importance as my children. It's sooooo lame when people call their dogs their bubbas and try to pretend like they are people. Dogs are not people, dogs are dogs! Don't get me wrong, I like dogs, but I feel like they should be treated like dogs, not like children. Mind you, I grew up in the country in a rather isolated area, where if you had a sick dog, there was no vet available for hours and hours, so the kindest thing to do usually involved a rifle. I grew up farming animals, and our animals were treated humanely and well - but they are animals, not people.
    I also hate it when people call me my dog's 'mummy' - uuuuhhh I don't recall pushing that hairy thing out of my v2gina, I am NOT his mummy!

ETA - Oh dear, I just read over my post & realised it's come across as a little 'strong' :P Sorry if I have caused offence to anyone. Every family is different, and I totally respect if your dog is your......baby. But it's just not for me!

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

BluePixie  (22-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (22-01-2016),GirlsRock  (22-01-2016),ICanDream  (22-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    . I can't justify my annoyance, it's just one of those little things.
    I think we all have things that make is feel like that. Maybe worth a spinoff !