+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Just been told.... you have GD! :-(

Hi all
    Im just needing some support and to support others that are in a similar position to me.
    At my last appointment with midwife (last wed) she told me I had Gestational Diabetes even though a low reading of 5.6....
    I had an early GTT (16weeks) as I'm predisposed to diabetes being in both sides of my family. I had the test 11th Jan and my antenatal appoint was 20th as I didn't hear anything I thought I was all clear until I went to appointment and she told me different. Firstly I was a bit stunned they wouldn't call to mention this information. Secondly... I am in doubt I really have GD as its such a low reading that really .... your blood goes up n down and yoyr going to be a bit higher than normal being preggers.
    However I am taking this serious and I'm being very cautious with what I eat and ensuring I drink alot of water (which I already do) until the ring me to go to Diabetes course plus nutritionist. ... I mean what a pain really like its not already difficult with the hormones and the no alcohol thing lol
    Anyways enough of my rant..... and seriously would love to chat to some peeps that might be in a similar or have been in this situation. I'm a bit anxious about it atm but trying to stay balanced and calmly cautious.
    I thank you lovely ladies in advance.
    Ari

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Big hugs! I took the news hard when diagnosed with GD (3 years ago with DS). Was that your fasting level? How were your 2hrs?

Honestly, it wasn't all bad once I got the hang of it. It was really about spacing out carbs throughout the day and switching to lowGI. It meant I was eating a lot healthier than otherwise may have been the case which I believe helped with food cravings massively (I had mega cravings in the last few weeks with my DD and stacked on a tonne of weight).

I found the nutritionist appointment much more useful for food advice than the diabetes educator. Good luck, I know there will be lots of ladies here currently going through the same thing.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (22-01-2016),HeavenBlue  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure why they say you have GD if your reading is 5.6, that's in the perfectly normal range. I had GD and it was really no dramas at all. I tested daily for a week or so, worked out what foods seemed to spike my blood sugars and then did nothing at all about it for the rest of the pregnancy. I had a private OB and this was fine with him.
    I'd be questioning what's going on with those levels as that's not GD

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Is the 5.6 reading your fasting level? I was diagnosed with GD with a fasting level of 5.3 at 20 weeks last year (DS was born late September). A normal pregnant fasting level is below 5.3, 5.3 is considered a threshold level.

I also thought my level was still too low for a 'true' diagnosis. Fasting levels in the 4 range are normal for a pregnant woman though and anything over 5.0 is actually quite high. I was told during pregnancy, insulin levels naturally jump at 22 and 28 weeks and can be hard to control during the last trimester.

Diet control for fixing fasting levels may not work if that's your issue. I was very careful with my diet and still ended up on insulin at night which wasn't too bad. My risk factors were age and fat, I had pneumonia as well which is why my dr sent me to test early(no personal or family history). I found the diet quite easy and lost weight on it (unintentional). I am/was thinner than when I fell pregnant after having the baby and feel healthy which is a plus.

Happy to answer questions if you have any.

K

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    That's a normal reading. I was told the late 5's to 6 is GD. My aesthesist did a prick test during my pre op meeting a week before the birth and it was about that (I'd not long had a rare can of soft drink from the hospital vending machine so it's not normally that high) and he said it was at the top end but perfectly fine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,

Me again, here are the facts from NDSS:

Targets are 3.5mmol/L to less than 5.5mmol/L fasting and 4mmol/L to 7mmol/L two hours after a meal.

https://www.ndss.com.au/gestational-...ormation-sheet

K

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Deskar For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's not so bad once you get the hang of what you can eat and portion sizes etc. It actually benefitted me as i lost some weight and just felt better generally. While still at work i was eating the same thing every day. Was easier plus i actually enjoyed what i was eating.

At the time of getting the diagnosis it was like what else could go wrong and i cried. But we'd been having such a difficult pregnancy. Bad nt scan results of high risk for trisomy 18, needing an amniocentesis. Getting the all clear for that and a great morph scan, finally feeling good about the pregnancy, and then get told i have gd. It thought it would be alot worse than it was.
    My only problem now is trying to stay healthy with the increased risk of contracting tyle 2 diabetes later on. I have been really bad with food and put on weight again.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

AceAri8  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've had it with all three pregnancies. I am 38 and almost 34 weeks along with my third. To be honest, you could have had worse news. GD is manageable and it isn't permanent. It goes away after birth. For my first two it was controlled with diet and exercise, now that i am a few years older, i am on medication and two types of insulin that i inject myself. The insulin and medication doesn't harm the baby at all. It can be a bit to get your head around but seriously like i said, at least you have a healthy baby.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you so much ladies I much appreciate you help and advice.

Yes the 5.6 was my fasting reading so I guess I do have GD then. I am a bit bummed but I guess the positives are I will feel healthy and help baby to be healthy by following the diet and just be really aware what I eat. I am pretty up on what I need to eat and what not too etc however because I haven't had a call as yet about when I go do the course or see the nutritionist I am rather anxious. I am a person that needs information otherwise I do stress and get anxious about the situation even though I think I have a good knowledge of what to eat and what not to eat.

I am considered obese and I am much heavier than my 1st DS almost 3 years ago now since I had him and that has really concerned and worried me cause I can feel a huge difference; so I know this diet will be better for me and the baby. I just hope I don't have to have insulin, tell me it's not that bad? if I do. My father had diabetes and at some point when he was sick he was unable to inject himself so I had to do it and It just bring back bad memories I guess but I will deal if I have to.

How many times typically a day did you guys need to test ? What kind of machine did they recommend? I am wondering whether I get one before they call me cause they dont seem to have any urgency about that, since my test was done on the 11th and my m/w apoint was 20th and they only just told me then, now I have to wait til they call me?? It is stressing me out and I am sorry for sounding like a whingy baby as my previous pregnancy and this one (so far apart from GD) have been really good I have nothing to complain about.

I thank you ladies very much for your help and support it's really a great help knowing I am def not the only one and it's not going to be too hard to cope with once I get into the swing of it.

Hope you all have a great weekend.
    Love and light
    AA8

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was given a little bgl tester (freestyle lite) for free at my hospital at the first meeting with the diabetes lady and nutritionist, but the strips are pricey. They should sign you up for the NDSS (i think that's what it's called) at that meeting and you get discounted testing strips. Mine were still $17 for 100. And i had to test 4 times a day. I ended up on metformin at night as no matter what i did i couldn't get my fasting levels below 5. The metformin worked eventually once they got the dose right. Bub was born with hypoglycemia and had to spend 2 days and 1 night in special care but he is going really well now.
    I'm shocked you weren't called sooner. I received a phone call the day after my gtt and was booked in for the meeting a few days later.