+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm almost 29 weeks and only have 4 official maternity pieces. 2 X jeans and 2 X t-shirts. I mostly live in looser singlets and shorts. I don't require a work uniform so this has been a blessing. I have a few dressy tops that are loose enough to fit my bump in. Hope I actually don't need anything else!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I bought heaps of new clothes too, from memory it was something like 2 jeans, 2 black pants, 1 leggings, 2 skirts, 6 dresses (2 for work, 3 casual and 1 going out) and maybe 6 or 7 tops. But then at the end of my pregnancy I realised that none of my maternity tops were nursing tops, so I've since bought a bunch of breastfeeding singlets and tops and a few dresses. And nursing clothes are expensive! So I'd recommend if possible buying mat clothes that are also nursing friendly if you are planning on breastfeeding just to save some money.

I'm a massive clothes horse though so I'm sure I've bought a lot more than others might but I get bored and hate wearing the same stuff over and over. It's seriously killing me at the moment that I have a whole closet of pretty summer dresses and can't wear any of them at the moment because I can't breastfeed in them!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only maternity clothes I own are:
    4x bonds maternity singlets
    2 x maternity bras

And I have an enormous belly at 35 weeks. I couldn't justify spending money on maternity clothes so I bought a few stretchy metallicus pants, loose fitting bonds pants, I wear long tight fighting tops and singlets, bodicon dresses and regular under the bump type shorts.

The absolute best item I bought during pregnancy were my Birkenstocks because I haven't been able to wear actual shoes for about 10 weeks!!!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to A&S For This Useful Post:

TandR  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I would invest more in your post-birth wardrobe to be honest. Finding nice, durable, practical breastfeeding clothes (if you're planning on BF) is expensive and difficult lol. I'm so sick of wearing the same 4 tops on rotation (DD is 6 months old).
    This. So much this!

I went a little wild with maternity clothes, just because I'd been waiting my whole life to be able to buy them & was so excited it was finally time!

I'd recommend buying mostly the comfy everyday stuff (I liked the stretchy tank tops from Kmart & Target the most - and I can stretch the neckline down to breastfeed quite easily with them now) and only buying the nicer 'going out' clothes if you have a specific event to wear them to, otherwise they're likely to go unworn. Had a few of those!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only bought a pair of jeans and a skirt. I also bought normal tops from kmart in the next size up.
    I agree with @gingermillie - invest in clothes that will get you through the post partum and breastfeeding period.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Are you planning to have more children? This is a consideration. If you are planning on having more than one pregnancy, it's worth investing in a few staples that you'll wear again.

I agree with all the others that you don't necessarily need to buy 'maternity' clothes. Jeans yes, others not so much. I went to supre and bought long style singlets and stretchy bodycon style dresses with room for stretching. You don't need to go crazy upsizing either, maybe one size larger if there is stretch etc.

With my first pregnancy I made the mistake of buying a few things too large thinking I would grow into them. Some people don't get very big at all and I still have a few things with tags on them that I was never going to get big enough to wear.

Also it's worth mentioning that by the time you hit 40 weeks you will probably be hating all your clothes and never want to see them again 😂. So, yes it's possible to buy too many. I'm 34 wks now and really looking forward to buying new breastfeeding clothes (have already started). I personally don't wear my maternity clothes after birth (don't need to, don't want to!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    did you guys end up going to Ireland or not? for some reason I thought you cancelled the trip?

sorry to derail thread! ������
    We cancelled it, and H said he booked a holiday to Dubai for us and the kids instead, with MIL FIL and BIL.
    Got to Dubai and he said we were going on to Ireland, and the kids were staying with MIL FIL and BIL!

Had a blast.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DT75 For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default How many maternity clothes are too many?

I would personally hold off on buying anymore clothes until you're further along. Maybe my body is slower to change but I definitely don't *need* maternity clothes until closer to 20 weeks, and then it is because I need pants for a bump. Until then I just make do with my normal clothes, flowy tops and pants that sit low on my waist or leggings. I think there is too much of a risk buying the wrong size if you're purchasing so early in the pregnancy and you are risking spending heaps on clothes that are potentially not going to fit you through your whole pregnancy.

As for brands, I have mostly stuck with topshop, they often do sales with free international shipping so I would order during those times. For this pregnancy, I just bought at 21 weeks, a new pair of jeans (my pair from my last pregnancy where stretched), a coat and some basic maternity tops that I wear under cardigans and flowy jumpers and knits. From my last pregnancy I still have some leggings, a couple pair of trendier/dressier pants, a maternity top and jumper and a body con dress. I mix and match all of these things for different outfits plus some 'normal' clothes. I'm currently in London though so my wardrobe is opposite to yours!
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 24-01-2016 at 20:16.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I only have 3 maternity dresses (for work) and 1 skirt. Thats it. The rest is stretchy non maternity stuff.

Even the dresses were target maternity on sale.

Honestly, if you can afford it and want to - buy as much as you like. I just feel meh about buying maternity stuff lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by DT75 View Post
    We cancelled it, and H said he booked a holiday to Dubai for us and the kids instead, with MIL FIL and BIL.
    Got to Dubai and he said we were going on to Ireland, and the kids were staying with MIL FIL and BIL!

Had a blast.
    yay that's awesome!! glad you got to go!!!