+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Beauty regime during pregnancy

​hi ladies

Just recently found out I am 4 weeks pregnant after 2years TTC

Anyways I guess I would admit to being abit high maintenance and having quite a big beauty regime
    Can anyone tell me if they still got their hair, nails, spray tans done during pregnancy?

Is it safe to have IPL laser treatments? I'm in the middle of my Brazilian treatments...
    And Botox is out I know, but what about peels?

Thanks for your help x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Congrats on your pregnancy. I would err on the side of caution regarding all of your treatments.

With IPL I don't think it's safe - but check with your clinic. You can always continue after the baby it's not like all the hair will grow back, but you may need a few extra treatments than you first thought, due to the break.

I don't get spray tans but got one in my first pregnancy and specifically chose an organic spray tan that advertised as being safe for pregnancy.

I think most facial peels etc are ok for pregnancy - however once again you'll need to check with your beauty clinic as to what they recommend.

It's worth noting that pregnant skin can become really sensitive and what may have been fine beforehand could cause you to react now you're pregnant.

I personally think getting your hair done is fine. My mum is a hairdresser and worked through both her pregnancies. Most hairdressers do, and they're exposed daily to the chemicals etc.

Of course it's also an individual choice - some people choose to avoid all chemicals while pregnant. You have to do what's right for you. Maybe swapping a few chemical treatments/products for natural alternatives is a good thing to look into, to be on the safe side.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    congrats on the pregnancy!

I've continued to get my hair done throughout my pregnancy. I don't colour my hair however, I get fouls do its bleached. I've heard bleaching is ok but dyes can be a bit iffy. it's totally up to the individual though and you could discuss it with your OB/gp anyway.

I have continued to pain my nails during pregnancy too. I got a shellac mani last month too. the shellac isn't something is probably do for the whole 40 weeks as I've heard the chemicals aren't great, but moreover they wreck your nails so I don't do shellac often unless there's a special occasion.

I don't see any issue with normal nail polish but again, I'm sure some people would avoid this as well. it's about finding a level you're comfortable with.

I've not had any spray tans while I've been pregnant but as sunnygirl said, there are organic pregnancy safe ones out there that you could go for instead.

all the best!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You should probably check with your GP what would and wouldn't be safe, if you can. Some beauty regimes are completely safe, but you need to ask a professional.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've been doing everything. Hair Colour, extensions, acrylic nails, spray tanning, make up and lash extensions (on the odd occasion I went out!)

I've stopped laser (Brazilian and underarm) and reverted back to waxing during the pregnancy.
    There's not enough info on the laser and pregnancy.

I spoke to my hair dresser and she advised that all of the stuff they use is ammonia free.

I'm 30 weeks now. This is what I have done based on my own research and what I feel comfortable with.
    As a pp poster said you can always chat to your GP.

Congrats on the pregnancy and good luck xx

9. The Following User Says Thank You to clb84 For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    In regards to peels I was told it's safe to use aha's on your skin but not bha's (I'm sorry but i don't remember why)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Joeee For This Useful Post:

Kristyj  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Beauty regime during pregnancy

Thanks for all your responses ladies I really appreciate it
    Will chat to my FS about it next week!