+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Childcare = grumpy kids

I have just increased my children's days at Childcare from 2 to 3 days. I'm finding it an absolute struggle when they are home as they are extremely tired and grumpy. They cry a lot and I am dreading the days they are home with me as it's so overwhelming. Can anyone recommend anything to help?
    DS1 is 4 DS2 is 2. DS2 sleeps during the day but only for an hr. DS 1 refuses to sleep. Sometimes he will fall asleep in the car but then the nights are terrible as he can't go to sleep until 9. I'm feel like I'm doing the wrong thing having them in Childcare for the extra day but we really need me to be working. How can I make the home days more enjoyable.
    On a side note, we are trying not to spend money at the moment so going out to eat or to do activities is not an option!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Picnic in the backyard or lounge room.

Cubby house using the dining table and sheets.

Drawing table.

Make play dough with them.

Cooking/fruit kebabs etc.

Put a DVD on for some quiet time.

And when my kids are really driving me crazy, I put some music on really loud (so I can't hear them lol) and dance around the house with them. This ends up being a favourite, the kids really love it!

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Happymum2 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (21-01-2016),MrsA2B  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It could be just that they need time to adjust to the extra days. How long have they been going the extra day?

Can you try to keep your days at home in a similar routine as they have at day care? I know that when I have DS nap later at home than they do at day care it's harder for him to settle.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Amber4304 For This Useful Post:

moosey  (21-01-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Honestly, this is not the A+ super mummy answer, but I would take it super easy on the days you are home until they have adjusted to the extra day. You will also find it hard to adjust to anther day at work as it will equal a whole extra day of housework you need to catch up on. So my advice it put on that telly, give the kids the iPad and have at least one completely relaxing, do nothing day where you can catch up on laundry and maybe do some baking and cooking while the kids veg out. Give everyone a chance to adjust to the change and don't feel guilty about it!

7. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

babyla  (20-01-2016),binnielici  (20-01-2016),Cue  (20-01-2016),Elijahs Mum  (22-01-2016),KitiK  (22-01-2016),moosey  (21-01-2016),MrsA2B  (22-01-2016),PomPoms  (21-01-2016),Renn  (20-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (20-01-2016),rusty22  (22-01-2016),Sonja  (20-01-2016),SuperGranny  (20-01-2016),Tamtam  (20-01-2016),Wissa  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Honestly, this is not the A+ super mummy answer, but I would take it super easy on the days you are home until they have adjusted to the extra day. You will also find it hard to adjust to anther day at work as it will equal a whole extra day of housework you need to catch up on. So my advice it put on that telly, give the kids the iPad and have at least one completely relaxing, do nothing day where you can catch up on laundry and maybe do some baking and cooking while the kids veg out. Give everyone a chance to adjust to the change and don't feel guilty about it!
    This! I did this whenever I increased my days of work.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'd also think it's a matter of adjusting...take it as easy as you need to!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies. It's only been 3 weeks but I'm feeling so guilty about the extra day at care that I'm freaking out about them not having a nice day at home with me. I think the chill out suggestion is great, although we did try that this week and it went pear shaped! They were crying a grizzling the whole time! But I think you guys are right. It might just be them settling in.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    What days are they in care?

If my kids were exhausted then I would make the day after daycare a quiet day. Maybe one visit to park in morning, then quiet activities at home for the rest of the day. Make sure that ds1 sits and rests during ds2 nap. He could either read, watch a movie, etc. Then maybe after nap they can help you cook dinner. Have an early dinner and put them to bed half an hour early that day.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

moosey  (23-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I found ******lining the morning/evening on daycare days helped a lot so they could sleep in more and go to bed earlier. DD struggled a lot when I went to 4 days (3yo) so I would have a sandwich packed for 'dinner' in the car. That way as soon as we got home it was just shower, story, bed.

I was full time last year and, after we moved had a long commute each way. DS would arrive at daycare after they stopped serving breakfast though, so I would give him toast in the car so that he could sleep an extra 15 minutes. Dinners would need to be planned/prepped so we could walk in, kids in shower while I cooked/reheated, then PJs, dinner, story bed.

I found that if our Sundays were tiring, the kids were ratty the whole week and it was more important to ensure they were rested BEFORE the block of school/daycare days - moreso than letting them chill out the day after.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

moosey  (23-01-2016)