+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Lactation consultant at hospital after birth?

I'm due with my second in a couple of months. I wasn't able to establish breastfeeding with my first baby and would really love to be able to breastfeed this time.

I'm going private and having a cesarean so will be in hospital for almost a week. Last time I didn't get much support or assistance from the midwives. Is it possible to hire a private Lactation consultant to come to the hospital straight after the birth? I don't know if that's even a thing that's done but just trying to give myself the best chance of success this time around.

If it is possible could anyone recommend a good Lactation consultant around Greenslopes Hospital in Brisbane? TIA

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Absolutely! I hired a private LC at one point, they were able to see me within 2-3 days from memory. If you're having a scheduled c-section that should make it easy to know when to book them ahead of time.
    I'd be surprised if there isn't a team of LCs at the hospital for the new mothers though who should be there to help you (but maybe I just went to an especially good maternity hospital and that isn't standard care).

Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to deku For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Greenslopes has decent mw with pretty good LC knowledge. Everyone I know who birthed there has bf for awhile and stopped out of choice rather than necessity.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you checked that they don't have an lactation consultant on staff?

Their website says that have lactation consultants available in the Special Care Nursery to help with breastfeeding, so I would imagine that they work in Maternity as well.

The public hospital that I work at has a specific lactation consultant working during the day, 7 days a week. Some of our midwives are also lactation consultants as well.

I would be a surprised if none of their midwives are lactation consultants, even if there isn't a specific lactation consultant role.
    Last edited by alliecat89; 20-01-2016 at 21:50.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

Mama Mirabelle  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Mama Mirabelle, We wanted to reassure you that we do have LCs as part of the team at Greenslopes Maternity. We would be happy to arrange an antenatal appointment for you with our one of our LCs so a plan can be put in place prior to delivery. Please call our Maternity Services Manager, Raechel during business hours on 3394 6703 so she can arrange this.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greenslopes Maternity For This Useful Post:

Carpe diem 2013  (21-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (21-01-2016),mrsboyts  (21-01-2016)