+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    [QUOTE=binnielici;8383616

The owner must provide a building report - but if you go through with the purchase you end up paying for the report. Our experience has been the report is not worth the paper it is written on. Also the EER (energy efficiency rating) which ACT properties must have is also a bit of a joke.[/QUOTE]

Out of curiosity, can I ask what your experience was the building report @binnielici ?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by smallpotatoes View Post
    Out of curiosity, can I ask what your experience was the building report @binnielici ?
    They did not undertake a proper inspection of the property - they didn't even go into the roof! Everything was done from outside and the house was 'structurally sound'. There were then massive disclaimers saying it was a visual inspection of exterior structures only blah blah. Coming from Qld where you organise and pay for the report as buyer - and it is an extensive factual report we were not satisfied with this. So we organised our own inspection. It found a number of issues with the place and we renegotiated the price (reduced it by $15,000!) based on the cost of rectifying the issues. We would never have known had we relied on the one provided by the seller.

The frustrating part is you still have to pay for the seller's report!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by binnielici View Post
    They did not undertake a proper inspection of the property - they didn't even go into the roof! Everything was done from outside and the house was 'structurally sound'. There were then massive disclaimers saying it was a visual inspection of exterior structures only blah blah. Coming from Qld where you organise and pay for the report as buyer - and it is an extensive factual report we were not satisfied with this. So we organised our own inspection. It found a number of issues with the place and we renegotiated the price (reduced it by $15,000!) based on the cost of rectifying the issues. We would never have known had we relied on the one provided by the seller.

The frustrating part is you still have to pay for the seller's report!
    See this is what I am reading in the report as well and I wondered if you had a similar experience. DH and I are planning on organising our own inspection if our offer is accepted, it's a tad annoying having to pay for both though!

Thanks
    Reviews
    See this is what I am reading in the report as well and I wondered if you had a similar experience. DH and I are planning on organising our own inspection if our offer is accepted, it's a tad annoying having to pay for both though!
    It's a ridiculous system. But certainly the cost of organising our own inspection was worth it in the end.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You should be able to negotiate that - if you get your own report give your offer of x dollars plus say we want the condition taken off of paying the $500 ( or whatever they charge) to reimburse the owners for a building report when we had to get our own anyway - get your conveyancers to put it in writing , if the offer is good enough for them most owners wont quibble over a few hundred dollars

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

smallpotatoes  (21-01-2016)