+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Early pregnancy

Any advice would be appreciated.

I have 2 boys.. 13 and 4. I'm almost 35 and just discovered 4 days ago via a HPT that I am pregnant. I went to the drs office and it came up negative. We did bloods and last night they came back with a HCG level of 30. I know I can't be more than 18 days conception.

I've had some brown discharge and then a couple of days of bright red. Dr advised that due to the HCG level...it's likely the pregnancy is not viable and soon it will be "gone".

Although this was unplanned and was quite a shock as we had decided we were finished our family, I'm feeling confused and disappointed. The Dr advised to pretty much go home and wait for the miscarriage. She said come back in 3 days for another blood test but I likely wouldn't need it.

Here and there I have minor abdominal pain. .and occasionally there's a tiny bit of brown or pink spotting.

I feel on edge just sitting around waiting for it to happen. I have no idea what to expect and stressing myself out that at any moment I'm about to start whatever the process is.

Is there any advice that anyone can give or has been through something similar?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sorry to hear you are going through this, the wait must be awful.
    You can't do much more than wait for the next blood test to see if your HCG levels have raised.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm sorry you're going through this

From my personsal experiences there are a few outcomes:

1. You may have ovulated/implanted later than you think, hence the low hcg level. It can be normal to experience bleeding around when your period would be due. Getting follow up bloods to check if your levels have doubled will give you an indication of viability. If the levels are doubling, then I'd ask for an ultrasound to assess viability. If the levels aren't doubling (pr close to it) or have dropped, then it's most likely you will miscarry, I'm sorry

2. If your hcg levels are dropping and your body is still not passing the pregnancy, you can ask for misoprostol. I had a mc last year and I had 2 weeks of spotting, it wasn't happening on its own. It was awful going to work and not knowing if it was suddenly going to start happening. So my OB gave me misoprostol. I took it friday night, and had passed almost everything by Sunday. I had follow up bloods and an ultrasound. Still hadn't passed everything, so had another dose and then it was finally over (confirmed by bloods & ultrasound).

3. You can wait to miscarry naturally. This may be quick, or may take some time. Something to bear in mind is that the longer it takes to happen, the higher your chance of infection. My OB didn't want me to leave it for more than 4 weeks and started me on preventative antibiotics after 2 weeks, just to be safe. Definitely make sure you get follow up bloods or ultrasound just to make sure everything has passed, as you can risk infection if it hasn't.

I hope this wasn't too 'matter of fact' or confronting. I know how overwhelming & scary it all feels. Just wanted to share my experiences so that it may help you to feel a little less confused about going forward.

Sending you huge hugs. Make sure you look after yourself hun x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Big hugs. It sounds very similar to an experience I had last year, had a positive HPT, negative at docs - but he didn't send me for bloods straight away so it screwed with my head a lot. I then had brown spotting that went on for weeks, he ordered bloods, my hcg was rising so they said it was probably fine - 3 scans later they kept telling me it was too early but I knew in my heart something wasn't right. I eventually started bleeding heavily and cramping but ended up with a D&C because it was on and off and taking too long to pass (it wasn't until I was supposed to be 9 weeks that they took me seriously!).

Like PP have said you can't do much but wait - if your levels are dropping you'll know for sure and can ask your doc about options etc. From my experience and that of close friends, each miscarriage is so different it can vary from a painful period to much worse. It's so hard to know and it's not nice to have to wait. I really hope that if it's not a successful pregnancy, it's over as quickly as possible for you with minimal pain.
    If you can find someone to talk to about your feelings that will help too. A loss is a loss no matter how early. Big hugs xx

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I discovered that I was pregnant in early Dec. My doctors were also concerned with my low numbers but continued to test my blood to monitor. They went from 22 to 89 to 870 within a week. Final test was over 3000. I ended up having a burst ectopic. I don't mean to be an alarmist, this is my only experience with low HCG levels, but please request an early ultrasound if your numbers happen to rise. I wish I'd have gone with my gut instinct as I knew something was wrong from the very beginning but was reassured that my rising levels meant all was good. I feel there's often a reason for low levels.
    In saying that, I do know someone who's levels were lower than mine and who experienced bleeding and went on to have a healthy pregnancy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone for your advice.

In all of this it has highlighted the amount of women that have been through similar experiences... As well as those that have been trying for years and get their 1st test. I worry how those ladies cope when they have to deal with a dr that has zero bed side manner.

Bloods tomorrow and results friday.. I guess whatever happens is meant to be.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi @TammyOlive1981, just wanted to check in with you?
    Thinking of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for checking in. Levels on Friday were 115. Dr says it's nearly tripled in 3 days so it's a positive sign. However she says it's still very low. Booked for an ultrasound monday to hopefully see if there is some development and make sure if it's there it's in the right place.

I still have cramps and spotting I'm just hoping it's normal. Trying to stay positive but it's very hard when drs are so doom and gloom!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by TammyOlive1981 View Post
    Thanks for checking in. Levels on Friday were 115. Dr says it's nearly tripled in 3 days so it's a positive sign. However she says it's still very low. Booked for an ultrasound monday to hopefully see if there is some development and make sure if it's there it's in the right place.

I still have cramps and spotting I'm just hoping it's normal. Trying to stay positive but it's very hard when drs are so doom and gloom!
    Oh it's a horrible waiting game, I was made to wait for about 3 weeks in total. I really hope you get answers very soon. Doctors are no help and show very little sympathy for the stress you are feeling. Be kind to yourself and best of luck Monday.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Your levels are increasing at a good rate, so that is promising. Best of luck for Monday hun, the waiting is just awful xx