+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    If I tanned I'd probably get into the sun a bit. But I don't. Not even a little bit. Not even a skerrick.
    Yeah, I'm thankful every day that I have skin that can handle a bit of 'bashing' from the sun. I am very careful not to burn, though. I also ignore the every 4 hours rule of suncream and put it on every 2 hours if I'm out in the middle of the day. But I have friends that just can't do the sun because their skin simply doesn't cope, no matter how much covering up they do, so understand that it just isn't worth it for some people.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sparklebug View Post
    I've had dermatologists recommend cethaphil too, although lately I find it just doesn't cut it at certain times of the month, DD is using the moisturiser and it does seem ok for her, but my skin is just too dry so it does nothing for me. But it's definitely a cleanser I always have on hand.
    Which one are you using? I find the standard one 'for all skin types' best, the oily/sensitive skin doesn't help me much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I love Dermologica but it's out of the budget now. I've swapped to Cetaphil - I use the Gentle Cleansing lotion (with a Muslin cloth for exfoliation) and then finish with the moisturiser. During the day, I then use a tinted moisturiser with SPF (I normally use a Mecca one but have just started using The Base LB cream and I really like it). I'm still searching for that elusive eye product though - my eye area needs help.
    Seriously, just dab pure vitamin e oil on them--works a treat!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    Seriously, just dab pure vitamin e oil on them--works a treat!
    I'll definitely give it a go...although I have to say a full nights sleep would also go a long to helping the bags!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I'll definitely give it a go...although I have to say a full nights sleep would also go a long to helping the bags!
    I hear ya! I don't think it's helps much with dark circles but definitely wrinkles, but could just be my genes as well...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have learnt a lot from Paula Begoun (aka the cosmetics cop) and her website. This is what she says about wrinkles:

Does Dry Skin Cause Wrinkles?

Here's a common question: Does dry skin cause wrinkles? The simple answer is no. Abundant research has made it perfectly clear that wrinkles and dry skin are not related in terms of cause and effect. Think of it this way: Kids can experience dry skin and many suffer from conditions such as eczema, but kids don't have wrinkles.

OK, So What Does Cause Wrinkles?

Wrinkles are primarily caused by sun damage as well as muscle movement, estrogen loss, and fat depletion. Nowhere (outside of ads and product claims) is dry skin ever mentioned as a cause of wrinkles. What about those "fine, dry lines" most moisturizers claim to eliminate? That's simply another way to describe how your skin can look when it's dry. But those "fine, dry lines" are not the same as wrinkles, which don't go away simply by applying a moisturizer.
    The Backside Test of Aging

How can you know for sure that sun damage is by far the most notable cause of wrinkled skin? Easy! You can prove this by doing what we call the backside test of aging. Here's how it works: If you are over 35, simply compare the parts of your body that rarely, if ever, see the sun with the parts of your body exposed to the sun on a daily basis. Look at your backside, inner arms, and abdomen. You may be surprised to see that these areas have minimal to no signs of "aging." In fact, they have far more of the firmness, elasticity, and color of "younger" skin than the sun-exposed areas! Now that's proof positive of just how strongly sun exposure and wrinkles are connected.
    How Wrinkles and Dry Skin Are Related

Time to dispel some confusion over why so many people are convinced that dry skin and wrinkles are related. The misinformation distributed by the cosmetics industry keeps us confused, but it also stems from the fact that dry skin looks more wrinkled than skin that isn't dry. So, not surprisingly, wrinkled skin looks better after a moisturizer is applied.
    Women with oily skin may be perceived as having fewer wrinkles, but that's because they have their own built-in moisturizer, which creates a smoother skin texture. When skin is dry or dehydrated, any amount of wrinkling or flaws look more exaggerated. Applying a moisturizer will make wrinkles look less apparent and can help skin look and act younger, but that is not the same thing as giving skin what it needs to repair itself.
    What You Can Do to Help Dry Skin and Wrinkles

While using a standard, ordinary moisturizer does not have any significant effect on wrinkles, using a product that contains state-of-the art ingredients whether they are in a toner (liquid), serum, lotion, cream, or gel form and regardless of the name, do. Not all products are created equal, which is why you need our help to find the best ones for your skin's needs.
    What are the state-of-the-art ingredients you should look for? Antioxidants, cell-communicating ingredients, and skin-repairing ingredients. Below, you'll discover how each one of these critical ingredient categories works:
    • Antioxidants decrease free-radical damage and reduce inflammation, which causes collagen to break down and negatively impacts the skin cell's DNA structure. When formulated in an effective sunscreen, antioxidants also help your skin defend itself against the #1 cause of aging, the sun.
    • Cell-communicating ingredients help skin cells form in a healthy, "younger" manner. They also work to "tell" damaged cells to start acting more like normal, younger, healthier cells.
    • Skin-repairing ingredients are substances that skin has lost due to sun exposure and external irritants. In order to improve, your skin desperately needs these repairing ingredients to fight environmental damage that leads to moisture loss and dull skin that looks older than it really is.
    As significant as these ingredients are to the improvement of skin's structure, it is still of vital importance to use an effective sunscreen rated SPF 25 or higher 365 days a year. We know the topic of sunscreen is kind of boring and certainly not as buzz-worthy as the latest anti-wrinkle miracle, but without sunscreen, you have no chance of helping your skin resist wrinkles and numerous other signs of aging. It really is that important!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to TeBe For This Useful Post:

cheeeeesecake  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thankyou for the varied responses, it's interesting to hear similarities and differences in everyone's skin regime. I try to apply sunscreen on my face, but sometimes already have makeup on when I remember, so don't always put it on - I am now thinking about what 'sun damage' I have already caused! I have decided to go simple with an Olay sensitive cream for day & night with a sunscreen in it, & also an Olay eye gel cream - I'm not sure if that will help with my eye wrinkles or not, but I guess it can't hurt!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I use cetaphil cleanser in the shower without fail every day. I use Olay sensitive with SPF 15. I also have a tinted moisturizer (Aveeno) that I use occasionally that has SPF in it too. Night I use the Natio sensitive night cream. It's nice and light, but nourishing. I am often complimented on my skin as I take good care of it. Daily SPF helps a lot because you're helping protect your face from sun damage.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Has anyone who often breaks out from sunscreen found a sunscreen that doesn't cause breaks outs and doesn't cost the earth?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Has anyone who often breaks out from sunscreen found a sunscreen that doesn't cause breaks outs and doesn't cost the earth?
    Try a moisturizer or makeup (tinted moisturizer, bb cream or foundation) with sunscreen built in. This works best for my skin. I use bb cream in place of foundation these days (with moisturizer underneath).

13. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (21-01-2016)