+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I find it does - I do two washes - one to remove creams/make up then a second to clean the skin (this may be over kill but it's just habit). I also use a bit of Muslin cloth as it gently exfoliates at the same time.
    I also cleanse then re-cleanse if I've worn make up. I deem it necessary

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

wobbleyhorse  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    One brand I have recommended a few times here is Paula's Choice. They have a range for sensitive skin and the owner is a skincare fanatic and uses only ingredients that will be of benefit. That's not to say it can't cause a reaction for some people, but my skin has been really problematic for about a year now and Paula's Choice has really helped to keep things as calm as possible (I was breaking out like crazy before I changed what products I was using).

Be REALLY careful about products that claim to be for sensitive skin. You would be disappointed at the number of sensitive skin products that have known irritants in them. This link is really handy if you want to do heaps of research:

http://www.paulaschoice.com/cosmetic...nt-dictionary/

Also keep in mind, a lot of companies claim to use enriching or beneficial ingredients (like BHA, vitamin C, ferulic acid, etc), but the amount they put in is not enough to do anything for the skin. Or they add, say, antioxidants, to a cleanser and market that as being a great thing, but we only use cleanser to wash our face and rinse off straight away. Anything that had the potential to do some good for the skin went down the drain.

Opt for a mild, simple cleanser, check the ingredients. Any solvent alcohols or fragrance is a big no-no for sensitive skin. Don't trust the front of the label if it claims to be gentle, it could be bull.

Purchase a moisturizer with SPF in it, the higher the better. Or buy separate sunscreen for the face (that's even better). Sunscreen is the most powerful anti aging tool there is. It won't reverse damage (wrinkles, sunspots, etc), obviously, but it will prevent it.

If you decide to try an oil as a moisturizer, it's best to only use that at night as the oil can reduce the effectiveness of your sunscreen. And PLEASE patch test first for a few days...some people have great results, others break out like crazy. And look into how comedogenic (meaning pore-clogging) your preferred options are. Some swear by coconut oil, but it's highly comedogenic, so don't lash it all over your face straight away. Test first.

You don't need toner or eye cream. Eye-creams especially are a gimmick.

I know the crappy feeling of finding your first wrinkle . I'm 29 and have a line on my forehead and a wrinkle between my eyes.

And regarding the water, Moxy is right. Drinking heaps of water will not make dry skin...un-dry. While there are benefits to drinking water, it won't change your skin-type.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to hopeful1986 For This Useful Post:

BettyW  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh and my routine is:

Morning:
    Paula's Choice Oil-Reducing Cleanser
    Neutrogena SPF 15 moisturiser (it's the only one I've ever tried that doesn't break me out, but I'm on the hunt for something better).

Night:
    Paula's Choice Oil-Reducing Cleanser
    Paula's Choice 2% BHA liquid
    Paula's Choice vitamin C serum (sometimes)
    Neutrogena SPF 15 moisturiser

I have to keep it simple, otherwise I break out with too many products.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Disagree. I dink plenty of water, always have. My skin is dry and I need moisturiser, period. I've needed it since I was in my mid teens. If I don't use it my skin quite literally starts to peel and is awfully irritated. I'll grant you, water definitely helps and I notice a massive change to my skin when I don't drink enough, but to suggest that you don't need moisturiser if you drink enough water simply isn't the case. Might be for people with more oily skin, but definitely not for me.

I do agree with PPs though, you don't need to spend money on big brand names who charge through the nose for a tiny pot of product.
    Do you drink alcohol regularly, though? It's very dehydrating for the skin, even if you're drinking heaps of water.
    I wrote in a hurry this morning, so I don't disagree that some people have naturally dry skin, so no, just doing those things alone won't 'cure' dry skin...but I was think more of the anti aging stuff when I posted this morning (I just wasn't very clear!)...I also use moisturiser after a few really windy days. But you don't need anything fancy...QV or whatever.
    Last edited by Full House; 20-01-2016 at 13:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wobbleyhorse View Post
    I find it does - I do two washes - one to remove creams/make up then a second to clean the skin (this may be over kill but it's just habit). I also use a bit of Muslin cloth as it gently exfoliates at the same time.
    I do this as well but only when I've worn make up. Cetaphil products are great, I use the acne range (I was getting major breakouts) and my skin has never been better.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I forgot, I also use pure Rosehip oil under the bb cream or put it on at night. It really works for my skin. I bought it from the chemist. If you have sensitive skin apparently jojoba oil is better

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    Do you drink alcohol regularly, though? It's very dehydrating for the skin, even if you're drinking heaps of water.
    I wrote in a hurry this morning, so I don't disagree that some people have naturally dry skin, so no, just doing those things alone won't 'cure' dry skin...but I was think more of the anti aging stuff when I posted this morning (I just wasn't very clear!)...I also use moisturiser after a few really windy days. But you don't need anything fancy...QV or whatever.
    Not when I was in my mid teens! I drink, but even when I've had periods of not drinking (pregnancies plus two extended periods unrelated to pregnancy) it has still been dry.

I agree, the anti ageing thing is a crock. It's genes and the sun. My grandmother smoked for 50 years (quit in her 60's), drank moderately until a few years ago and is 78 and has incredible skin. She is super fair, doesn't tan and having lived in Scotland most of her life has hardly any sun damage, and wears SPF since she moved to Australia. I can probably also thank my mum for drilling into me about sunscreen. I'm not religious about my arms and body but my face is almost always protected simply because I use moisturiser and makeup with SPF. My hands look over than my face if that makes sense, because I am not consistent in protecting them from the sun. My girlfriend tanned heaps when she was younger and looks about 5-8 years older than me. The sun ages people so, so much.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Moxy View Post
    Not when I was in my mid teens! I drink, but even when I've had periods of not drinking (pregnancies plus two extended periods unrelated to pregnancy) it has still been dry.

I agree, the anti ageing thing is a crock. It's genes and the sun. My grandmother smoked for 50 years (quit in her 60's), drank moderately until a few years ago and is 78 and has incredible skin. She is super fair, doesn't tan and having lived in Scotland most of her life has hardly any sun damage, and wears SPF since she moved to Australia. I can probably also thank my mum for drilling into me about sunscreen. I'm not religious about my arms and body but my face is almost always protected simply because I use moisturiser and makeup with SPF. My hands look over than my face if that makes sense, because I am not consistent in protecting them from the sun. My girlfriend tanned heaps when she was younger and looks about 5-8 years older than me. The sun ages people so, so much.
    They're all contributors, and I think it depends on your genes as to which one is going to have the biggest effect on a person! My parents were 'bake yourself in coconut oil and stay in the sun all day' type people and have very minimal wrinkles for their age. I love swimming so am out in the sun a lot but often get mistaken for being several years younger than I am. There's no doubt I'd probably look younger if I did stay out of the sun, but, honestly, I'd rather the wrinkles than to stay out of the sun and miss out on my absolute favourite thing to do.
    Last edited by Full House; 20-01-2016 at 16:22.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Full House For This Useful Post:

Moxy  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Full House View Post
    They're all contributors, and I think it depends on your genes as to which one is going to have the biggest effect on a person! My parents were 'bake yourself in coconut oil and stay in the sun all day' type people and have very minimal wrinkles for their age. I love swimming so am out in the sun a lot but often get mistaken for being several years younger than I am. There's no doubt I'd probably look younger if I did stay out of the sun, but, honestly, I'd rather the wrinkles than to stay out of the sun and miss out on my absolute favourite thing to do.
    If I tanned I'd probably get into the sun a bit. But I don't. Not even a little bit. Not even a skerrick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Skin care regime HELP!

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Does the cetaphil face wash remove foundation/BB cream?

TIA
    Yes, I use it all over my face, even my eyes to remove mascara. I use the 'gentle skin cleanser for all skin types' so the one you can even use on babies. I find the one for oily/sensitive skin too drying.

Like others said, two washes if I have makeup on. I also don't use anything abrasive, the dermatologist was big on only using a gentle cleanser like cetaphil and nothing 'abrasive' that kinda breaks the skin.
    Last edited by HollyGolightly81; 20-01-2016 at 17:51.