Allergy friendly recipes and food ideas | Bub Hub
+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Allergy friendly recipes and food ideas

Hi everyone,
    My DS (15 months) has recently been diagnosed with a few different allergies - peanuts, hazelnuts, wheat and egg. He is an awesome little eater and usually eats anything I offer, although isn't a huge fan of meat/fish on its own. I'm struggling to think of ideas for morning tea/afternoon snacks/packed lunches that don't contain any wheat or egg. He already eats LOTS of fruit and I don't really want to offer packaged type foods.
    If anyone has any recipes or suggestions or any advice on living with allergies I'd be really grateful 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    What about rice? Rice cakes with avocado or cheese
    rice noodles
    fried rice balls or little arancini
    Crab cakes
    Mini meat balls
    Chicken drumettes
    Veggie sticks and tzatiki or guacamole
    Antipasto plate with cucumber, feta cheese, olives, cherry tomatoes, capsicum
    Mini falafels with tzatiki
    Rice or quinoa crumbed fish or chicken strips

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Daydreaming  (20-01-2016),KitiK  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh gosh that sounds so hard, it would be bad enough with just one of those allergies, you have my sympathy!

Is he ok with other nuts? If so you could try almond butter or macadamia butter on rice cakes (you can also get nut-free butters like sunflower seed butter etc), squares of roast sweet potato served cold, avocado sushi pieces, carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chia pudding made on coconut milk, yoghurt, smoothies, mini baby bel cheese, etc.

If you're into cooking Google gluten free vegan recipes - there are stacks around and they won't contain wheat or egg (you can usually substitute nuts for other nuts or seeds for most recipes).

Also chia gel (chia seeds mixed with water - again Google, or 'chia egg') is a great egg replacement you can use in cakes, slices, etc.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Daydreaming  (20-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    What about rice? Rice cakes with avocado or cheese
    rice noodles
    fried rice balls or little arancini
    Crab cakes
    Mini meat balls
    Chicken drumettes
    Veggie sticks and tzatiki or guacamole
    Antipasto plate with cucumber, feta cheese, olives, cherry tomatoes, capsicum
    Mini falafels with tzatiki
    Rice or quinoa crumbed fish or chicken strips
    Thanks Elijahs Mum, these are some great ideas 😊 he only has a couple of teeth at the front, would raw veggie sticks be ok to offer or would you suggest part steaming / roasting them first? He loves to dip his food in avocado so these would be a great idea.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Oh gosh that sounds so hard, it would be bad enough with just one of those allergies, you have my sympathy!

Is he ok with other nuts? If so you could try almond butter or macadamia butter on rice cakes (you can also get nut-free butters like sunflower seed butter etc), squares of roast sweet potato served cold, avocado sushi pieces, carrot sticks, sliced cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, chia pudding made on coconut milk, yoghurt, smoothies, mini baby bel cheese, etc.

If you're into cooking Google gluten free vegan recipes - there are stacks around and they won't contain wheat or egg (you can usually substitute nuts for other nuts or seeds for most recipes).

Also chia gel (chia seeds mixed with water - again Google, or 'chia egg') is a great egg replacement you can use in cakes, slices, etc.
    Thanks Sunnygirl, it was a bit of a shock and I think it will take a while for us to both adjust to the new diet! I didn't realise you could get macadamia butter - I will definitely look out for that. Sushi is a great idea, he loves it and I forgot all about it!
    Thanks so much for your advice x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreaming View Post
    Thanks Elijahs Mum, these are some great ideas 😊 he only has a couple of teeth at the front, would raw veggie sticks be ok to offer or would you suggest part steaming / roasting them first? He loves to dip his food in avocado so these would be a great idea.
    Yes steam the carrot sticks so they are easier for him to bite/gum ( not too much so they still keep their shape) the cucumber will be easier to bite just cut it into chip size lengths and he can gum it off , same with lightly steaming broccoli and beans so be can also use them as dippers!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh what a shock! My daughter has a mild egg white allergy and that is hard enough.

Flaxseeds can also be made into a gel as an egg replacement. Great as a binding agent in things like meatballs, and I've used it when making my own chicken nuggets. I also like to make a big batch of purée roast vegetables, and use that to coat chicken piece in before they go into a flake/batter/crumb. I usually use corn flake crumbs, but you might need to research for wheat free options too. I add the veg purée to meatballs/burgers too.

Wholefood simply website has some great snack ideas, as does Teresa Cutter for things. You could make your own muesli bars, using chia seeds to bind it. There is a great loaf called 'life changing loaf' which I usually make nut free for preschool. Google it. It's delicious with avocado on it, or honey, or a nut butter. And full of good things to help keep him full.

Both my girls love having snack plates - just an assortment of things to nibble on. They can have them for morning/afternoon tea, or for lunch/dinner.

Tonight they had muesli for dinner (lazy mum!). Bircher is a great option. I just soak the oats (you'd have to make sure they were the certified gluten free otherwise they can have wheat remnants through them), then add yoghurt and random seeds and dried fruit and nuts. Always lots of chia seeds. It sits in the fridge and they can just have a small cup/bowl when they are hungry.

I'll have and think and see what else I can think of.