+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by misskittyfantastico View Post
    My story is a little bit different but I had to be induced with my first two pregnancies at 39 and 38 weeks due to high BP and protein but that was due to my kidney disease rather than true PE.

With my third I was on massive doses of BP meds from the start and was hospitalised from 29 weeks with the hope of getting to 32 weeks - I had the steroid injections and ended up having an emergency c-section at 31+5 because he wasn't growing and my organs were struggling. He's now a little but bright as a button four year old.

It's really, really tough being where you are right now but it's the best place for you and your baby to be

Have the Drs given any indication of a plan? I know the uncertainty makes it so stressful.

I'm always here if you want to talk/ask questions.
    They're just plying the waiting game monitoring me and her and deciding on when to deliver. I've had the steroid injections and I'm on 500mg aldamet 3 x a day bp is still high.

How was your baby when you delivered him? Tiny sick? Battling?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    That's great u made it to 39 weeks.. I know that I won't get that far and it's terrifying me. My poor little girl isn't big enough to enter the world yet and in getting sicker as the days go by.
    Big hugs, it is scary when it looks like bub will be born early. Survival rates at this stage are good, and remember every day she can stay on the inside is a bonus. The doctors won't bring her earth side unless absolutely necessary. For what its worth, my mum was extremely sick when pregnant with me (severe pe, I stopped growing, blood poisoning... Nobody though either of us would make it). I was born at 32 weeks, spent a week in special care as a precaution. You would never guess I was prem apart from being tiny. And this was back in the 80's... Medicine and technology have come a long way since then!

I know its incredibly scary and hard, but you are in the right place for both you and bub. Have you got much support from family and friends?

3. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I suggest the following:

- take some long deep breaths.

- get someone to bring you comfort items - clothes, books, magazines, nice pj's, snacks, laptop with movies, slippers, even your own pillow. Whatever will make you feel a little more 'at home'.

- distract yourself as much as possible. Watch TV, go for short strolls (if you're allowed), play a game on your phone, read a trashy mag, call a friend who will be happy to talk about normal 'stuff' - anything to pass the time and keep your mind off worrying.

- be friendly with the midwives and doctors. The middies who looked after me were like my friends. Try to keep even a slight sense of humour - it will get you through.

- try and get in the zone and realise this is something you have no control over. You are in the hospital because it's the safest place to be. The hospital want the best possible outcome for you and your baby. Remember that.

- ask the hospital (if they haven't offered already) for some information to read about having a premature baby. I found this helped me prepare. I was hoping to get much further along (at best I was told 36 weeks), but when the time came to deliver DS I was very positive about the outcome because I knew the survival rates were very high. If you are offered a NICU tour, definitely check it out.

Hope this helps

5. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (20-01-2016),Clementine Grace  (19-01-2016),JustJaq  (19-01-2016),Reneeharry  (19-01-2016),Sabochan  (19-01-2016),SheWarrior  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    @Reneeharry this is my DS at exactly 31+4. This was two days after he was born, the first time I held him (I look quite serious here, but every other picture I'm beaming with smiles).

GK day two.jpg

As you can see, he's tiny, but he is breathing unassisted. The nurses commented on how 'feisty' and 'assertive' he was

It is amazing how strong these little premmies are.

7. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (28-01-2016),JustJaq  (19-01-2016),misskittyfantastico  (19-01-2016),Reneeharry  (19-01-2016),Sabochan  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ask for a tour of the special care nursery if you're well enough to go for a quick walk over there.

If you're not well enough or the doctors/nurses aren't happy for you to leave the maternity ward ask for one of the paediatric doctors or special care nurses to come have a chat with you about what to expect for baby.

Generally babies born this early do really well. They usually don't need a breathing tube, but may need cpap (the funny little mask over their face) to help their lungs stay inflated between breaths or they will be able to breath on their own.

They'll need to stay in a humidicrib to keep them warm, but once stable can have kangaroo cuddles with you and your husband. As they get bigger and learn how to maintain their temperature they'll be able to come out to an open cot.

Babies born this early can't suck, so they'll have a little feeding tube that they can give expressed breast milk through. They'll also have a little drip to give fluids and medications through.

Try not to stress to much (easier said then done!). At this stage it's a balance between the risks of delivering bub early and the risks of you getting extremely sick. It sounds like at the moment the risks of delivering early are outweighing the risks of you getting sick but as the hours and days progress at some point the balance will tip and they'll need to deliver bub.

It can be hard not being able to get answers about what's going to happen, but just try and focus on getting through each hour and day at a time.

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

JustJaq  (19-01-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (19-01-2016),Reneeharry  (19-01-2016),SheWarrior  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    Big hugs, it is scary when it looks like bub will be born early. Survival rates at this stage are good, and remember every day she can stay on the inside is a bonus. The doctors won't bring her earth side unless absolutely necessary. For what its worth, my mum was extremely sick when pregnant with me (severe pe, I stopped growing, blood poisoning... Nobody though either of us would make it). I was born at 32 weeks, spent a week in special care as a precaution. You would never guess I was prem apart from being tiny. And this was back in the 80's... Medicine and technology have come a long way since then!

I know its incredibly scary and hard, but you are in the right place for both you and bub. Have you got much support from family and friends?
    Thank you for your post...
    It is so scary to know she will be born early it keeps me up at night.
    Wow! That's crazy you were born that early but makes me fee good knowing that you are ok. I just want to grow to and help her get strong I don't want a premmie baby, who does.

I have amazing support from dh, mum,mil and friends and family...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I suggest the following:

- take some long deep breaths.

- get someone to bring you comfort items - clothes, books, magazines, nice pj's, snacks, laptop with movies, slippers, even your own pillow. Whatever will make you feel a little more 'at home'.

- distract yourself as much as possible. Watch TV, go for short strolls (if you're allowed), play a game on your phone, read a trashy mag, call a friend who will be happy to talk about normal 'stuff' - anything to pass the time and keep your mind off worrying.

- be friendly with the midwives and doctors. The middies who looked after me were like my friends. Try to keep even a slight sense of humour - it will get you through.

- try and get in the zone and realise this is something you have no control over. You are in the hospital because it's the safest place to be. The hospital want the best possible outcome for you and your baby. Remember that.

- ask the hospital (if they haven't offered already) for some information to read about having a premature baby. I found this helped me prepare. I was hoping to get much further along (at best I was told 36 weeks), but when the time came to deliver DS I was very positive about the outcome because I knew the survival rates were very high. If you are offered a NICU tour, definitely check it out.

Hope this helps

Thank you so much you're a angel... All of your points make sense.
    You made me feel a bit more at ease.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Reneeharry View Post
    Thank you for your post...
    It is so scary to know she will be born early it keeps me up at night.
    Wow! That's crazy you were born that early but makes me fee good knowing that you are ok. I just want to grow to and help her get strong I don't want a premmie baby, who does.

I have amazing support from dh, mum,mil and friends and family...
    Every week in the womb makes a huge difference. When DS was in the special care nursery there would be 34 weekers who would only need a few days in and would be ready to go home with their mums.

Fingers crossed they can get you a few more weeks along

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Reneeharry this is my DS at exactly 31+4. This was two days after he was born, the first time I held him (I look quite serious here, but every other picture I'm beaming with smiles).

Attachment 77645

As you can see, he's tiny, but he is breathing unassisted. The nurses commented on how 'feisty' and 'assertive' he was

It is amazing how strong these little premmies are.
    That's amazing thank you for sharing.
    How long were you in hospital for ? And how was he? He was a strong little Bub how old is he now?
    You've given me so much hope thank you so much

Thanks
    Reviews
    Every week in the womb makes a huge difference. When DS was in the special care nursery there would be 34 weekers who would only need a few days in and would be ready to go home with their mums.

Fingers crossed they can get you a few more weeks along
    Yeah that's why I'm hoping I can keep her in for another three weeks atleast. That would be the best outcome.
    Thank you for your story and kind words...