+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Preeclampsia

Hello so I'm 31+4 days pregnant and been admitted to hospital with pre eclampsia. Bloods pressure is up and some protein in my urine and a few other things.
    I was wondering if anyone has been through this and could tell their story thank you.
    Being hospitalised is very hard.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I didn't develop PE, but I had to be hospitalised at 28 weeks after a massive bleed, and had to stay in hospital for almost a month all up (DS was delivered via emergency c-section at 31+2).

My blood pressure was through the roof and I was on various meds to bring it down. Daily bloods, urine samples, monitoring, clexane injections - it was tough!

What are the doctors telling you? Have they advised you it's likely they'll be delivering your baby early?

Obviously I've been through the whole premmie parent journey myself, so I'm happy to answer any questions on the subject

Just try to relax and stay as calm as possible. Hospital is the safest place for you and bubs right now

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    I was admitted to hospital at 34+6 with my twin pregnancy for pre eclampsia. From that first day I was monitored 1-2 hourly checking BP etc - the aim was got get as close as possible to 36 weeks so their lungs could mature a bit more (I was told steroids weren't effective after 34 weeks). In the early morning of 35+4 my BP had been consistently high and I'd had a headache all night - that morning I was told I'd be going in for my c-section to deliver as my body wasn't managing anymore.
    Oh and the only reason I had a c-sect was because the presenting twin was breech.

I agree with everything Degrassi has said - try to stay calm, you really are in the best place for you and bub

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sabochan For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I was diagnosed with early onset preeclampsia at 31 weeks and managed with BP medication and minimum twice weekly monitoring (BP, bloods, urine). My ob wanted to get me to 38 weeks. My DD was born at 36+4 via emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia. She's 6 months and thriving.
    I can share more of my story but it's a bit scary.
    Ask for growth scans at 32 and 34 weeks and pay close attention to movement and how you feel and hang in there. Preeclampsia doesn't have to mean early delivery only if things get really bad, there's a lot they can do to manage it to stop it getting out of control so hopefully you're ok.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I had pre-eclampsia with my first. Was hospitalised several times- each time, my bp would settle (still high but lower than when I was admitted) so they would send me home on bed rest, and had me come in every 2nd day for monitoring. BP would spike again so would get admitted again and so on. The third time was when they started to look at inducing me. I think I was 32-34 weeks. Because my bp would settle a bit they decided to do a scan to check bub, all was fine there so they decided to play it day by day. I made it to 39+3 and went into labour naturally. BP went through the roof so they gave me an epidural to try to bring it down, if that failed it was straight off for c/s. Brought it down enough to avoid that though.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SheWarrior For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    As others have said try to stay calm, perhaps look into what food you should be eating, what you should not.
    I had preeclampsia in my first pregnancy, and got it very early I think between wk 24 and 28, it's been 12yrs so I'm not that sure, I was given medication, I had to constantly monitor my blood pressure, I vividly remember the swelling, I would also get ringing in my ears, and headaches. I know other women who did not have these symptoms with preeclampsia, so I would not use dr Google, each pregnancy is different and your in the best place!

I won't lie it was a difficult pregnancy but we got all the way to wk 38! With a tiny but healthy bub.

Stay positive! Catch up on some reading, or some tv! Good luck!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sparklebug For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    100 Posts in a week
    My story is a little bit different but I had to be induced with my first two pregnancies at 39 and 38 weeks due to high BP and protein but that was due to my kidney disease rather than true PE.

With my third I was on massive doses of BP meds from the start and was hospitalised from 29 weeks with the hope of getting to 32 weeks - I had the steroid injections and ended up having an emergency c-section at 31+5 because he wasn't growing and my organs were struggling. He's now a little but bright as a button four year old.

It's really, really tough being where you are right now but it's the best place for you and your baby to be

Have the Drs given any indication of a plan? I know the uncertainty makes it so stressful.

I'm always here if you want to talk/ask questions.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to misskittyfantastico For This Useful Post:

Reneeharry  (19-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by gingermillie View Post
    I was diagnosed with early onset preeclampsia at 31 weeks and managed with BP medication and minimum twice weekly monitoring (BP, bloods, urine). My ob wanted to get me to 38 weeks. My DD was born at 36+4 via emergency c-section due to severe preeclampsia. She's 6 months and thriving.
    I can share more of my story but it's a bit scary.
    Ask for growth scans at 32 and 34 weeks and pay close attention to movement and how you feel and hang in there. Preeclampsia doesn't have to mean early delivery only if things get really bad, there's a lot they can do to manage it to stop it getting out of control so hopefully you're ok.
    Can you share more?
    I think it will be early delivery for me I can feel myself getting sicker and I'm terrified.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    I didn't develop PE, but I had to be hospitalised at 28 weeks after a massive bleed, and had to stay in hospital for almost a month all up (DS was delivered via emergency c-section at 31+2).

My blood pressure was through the roof and I was on various meds to bring it down. Daily bloods, urine samples, monitoring, clexane injections - it was tough!

What are the doctors telling you? Have they advised you it's likely they'll be delivering your baby early?

Obviously I've been through the whole premmie parent journey myself, so I'm happy to answer any questions on the subject

Just try to relax and stay as calm as possible. Hospital is the safest place for you and bubs right now
    Thank you
    They're telling me that I need to stay in hospital be monitored, monitor baby keep my blood pressure down and wait to see how bad I get before they deliver her.
    I can't stay calm in going crazy and I'm a ball of anxiety and stress they've been giving me sleeping pills.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SheWarrior View Post
    I had pre-eclampsia with my first. Was hospitalised several times- each time, my bp would settle (still high but lower than when I was admitted) so they would send me home on bed rest, and had me come in every 2nd day for monitoring. BP would spike again so would get admitted again and so on. The third time was when they started to look at inducing me. I think I was 32-34 weeks. Because my bp would settle a bit they decided to do a scan to check bub, all was fine there so they decided to play it day by day. I made it to 39+3 and went into labour naturally. BP went through the roof so they gave me an epidural to try to bring it down, if that failed it was straight off for c/s. Brought it down enough to avoid that though.
    That's great u made it to 39 weeks.. I know that I won't get that far and it's terrifying me. My poor little girl isn't big enough to enter the world yet and in getting sicker as the days go by.