+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It could be anyone. I assume they shop? Stop at traffic lights? Load into the car beside somebody that can see no car seat? I would ring and then if they ask you just say "why don't you have one yet"? Get one!

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (18-01-2016)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    Don't know where you had your babies, but the 3 hospitals I've worked at certainly haven't checked for a car seat before leaving.

We ask if they've got one, but don't go physically inspecting their car before they leave to make sure they're telling the truth.
    Oh yes they don't check I was more meaning that from day one you have it drilled into you that you MUST have a car seat. They must have lied about it, or got home from hospital some other way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    Oh yes they don't check I was more meaning that from day one you have it drilled into you that you MUST have a car seat. They must have lied about it, or got home from hospital some other way.
    If people say they don't have one, then I just tell them that they'll need to take a taxi home and get it sorted ASAP.

That said a decent percentage of our women don't have a car and just walk/taxi/bus to get to places, so I'm somewhat used to people not having a car seat - simply because they don't need one.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alliecat89 View Post
    If people say they don't have one, then I just tell them that they'll need to take a taxi home and get it sorted ASAP.

That said a decent percentage of our women don't have a car and just walk/taxi/bus to get to places, so I'm somewhat used to people not having a car seat - simply because they don't need one.
    I suspect you at work where I had my babies
    My point is that you are told at the hospital that you can't drive your baby in a car without a car seat. If you don't have a car seat you need alternative travel arrangements- it's not like you tell them 'oh well, make sure you hold on tight and you should probs go get a car seat', you tell them they MUST have a car seat to drive with a baby, right?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsA2B View Post
    Off topic but I'm surprised that you are allowed to let them leave with their parents when they are drunk and about to drive, surely there must be some law that allows you to refuse to hand them over if you have immediate and urgent concern for their safety?

If not what a horrible position for you to be put it.
    I'm not sure about the laws elsewhere, but here in SA I believe its illegal to refuse to hand a child over to their parents. We had one issue with this at the school I work at (drink driving issue). The advice the police gave was to try to stall and call the cops, but if the parent insists on taking them you can't refuse. A very tricky issue indeed!

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Report it anonymously. The police don't need to know who you are and I doubt out of everyone in the world your cousin will suspect you. If she does ask you, just deny it if you don't want her knowing and causing drama.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to ~Marigold~ For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not putting a child in a car seat is selfish and ridiculous at 1 years of age unless there is a good reason, but I believe it's not your business to do anything about it unless you are close family and would pull them up on those kind of issues without them feeling offended or you feeling awkward then I wouldn't say anything.

I wouldn't report it, maybe there is an issue of financial problems or a legitimate reason... Who knows they'll hopefully get pulled over by the police before someone gets hurt or something.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    if something happened and the child was killed/injured, I doubt you'd ever forgive yourself for not doing more.

I think it's your duty as a responsible adult to report it. just ensure its done in a manner that's not traceable to yourself nor will cause conflict within the family.

you're not reporting it to "dob her in", you're doing it to potentially save a child's life.

parents should do everything in their power to protect their kids. when they fail in that duty, it falls to others to step in.

11. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-01-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016),cheeeeesecake  (18-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (18-01-2016),Mod-Degrassi  (19-01-2016)

SpecialPatrolGroup is offline T-rex is cranky until she gets her coffee.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mama Mirabelle View Post

I've had a knot in my stomach all day. I feel really uncomfortable calling the police about my own relative but it's so irresponsible of them. I really don't know what to do.
    Contact the police. You will be doing them and their little one a favour. And if they are ever in an accident, you will not be left asking if you could have done more.
    If you are ever in a position to hear an ambo speak on the issue, you will know going to the police is the right thing to do.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zoz View Post

I wouldn't report it, maybe there is an issue of financial problems or a legitimate reason... Who knows they'll hopefully get pulled over by the police before someone gets hurt or something.
    Sorry, but I don't really agree. The issue of child protection is everyone's resonsibility. If it were a meddling old woman ringing the police because she saw a kid running about without shoes on, or heard a mum shouting once, or something like that, it's different. But a child not restrained properly in a car is life and death. There is no excuse and no reason valid enough to fail to restrain your child correctly in a car. When I was doing child protection training, we were taught that you must ALWAYS look at it from the perspective of the impact, or potential impact, on the child, not on the perspective of the parent. It's normal as a mum to sympathise and think that maybe they have a reason. It doesn't matter. All that matters is the safety of the child. OP, make an anonymous report to the police.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to cheeeeesecake For This Useful Post:

A-Squared  (19-01-2016),BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (18-01-2016),MissMuppet  (18-01-2016),~Marigold~  (19-01-2016)