+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    But hang on- I don't buy the new migrant line. The OP TOLD them they need a seat- 3 years ago! They have been here at least 3 years. I don't believe they haven't been told by others that they must use a car seat. To me it sound like they know, they just don't care. They need someone like a police officer to tell them it's not on.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Yes and then there are buses which don't even have normal seat belts for adults. Very confusing. Often new migrants also associate with people from the same background who are likely to have similar ideas and therefore it wouldn't have necessarily been made a big deal of.
    Yeps can easily see how it wouldn't be as obvious to them as it to us.

Though they've been here at least 4 years? and I would have thought that OP's original discussion with them when the kid was 1 would have enough to trigger that "things are different here" thought.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    But hang on- I don't buy the new migrant line. The OP TOLD them they need a seat- 3 years ago! They have been here at least 3 years. I don't believe they haven't been told by others that they must use a car seat. To me it sound like they know, they just don't care. They need someone like a police officer to tell them it's not on.
    Yeah agree with this - was thinking of migrants in general, not just OP's relatives.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Yes I agree with you, I'm just having the hardest time bringing myself to actually call the police on relatives. I'm wracking my brain trying to think of some other way to get through to them. If I called and they ever found out it was me they would make my life hell.

To give more info for others in the thread, our family has been in Aus for over 30 years, the new migrant thing doesn't cut it. Even if they weren't sure I was very explicit 3 years ago. At the time we were at their place so I didn't call the police or anything as I was clear that she should get a car seat and she seemed like she was going to sort it out straight away; we were at their house so they didn't need to drive home and there was no immediate risk. As I said we're not very close, I've seen her probably under 10 times in these past few years and I never saw her take the child on or off the car, I genuinely assumed she had taken care of it.

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Maybe she did, and by 4 they had outgrown it and they haven't bought a booster to replace it? I find it incredibly hard to believe they could have been driving around in Aus with their toddler unrestrained and never got into trouble for it.
    I can't even imagine how they managed the first year, hell the first day!! They don't let you leave the hospital without a car seat!
    I just can't believe that the child has been completely unrestrained this whole time, I can't believe that's possible without getting busted.

Thanks
    Reviews
    They don't let you leave the hospital without a car seat! .
    Don't know where you had your babies, but the 3 hospitals I've worked at certainly haven't checked for a car seat before leaving.

We ask if they've got one, but don't go physically inspecting their car before they leave to make sure they're telling the truth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to alliecat89 For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-01-2016)

harvs is offline Winner 2014 - Spirit of BubHub Award
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 2/4/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 19/3/15Busiest Member of the Week200 Posts in a week
    Do you know OP, I can empathise with not wanting to cause trouble in your family. If it came down to it though, and this little toddler died in an accident I think you would feel much much worse about the outcome.

As far as I'm concerned you have two options - ring them up and tell them in no uncertain terms they are breaking the law and if they do not show you proof of getting a car seat by x time then you will call the police, or else just call the police now.

Perhaps the police will go round and give them a warning and that might be enough to scare them into action.

This could literally be a life or death scenario here.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to harvs For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (18-01-2016),Wise Enough  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    I don't know, no one checked when we left the hospital with DD, we could have driven off without a car seat with no one noticing.

It is pretty impossible to think they've been driving around for 3 years with an unrestrained child though, I sincerely hope they haven't.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 29/5/15Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week100 Posts in a week
    Id report them. I'd feel so bad if I did nothing and they were in an accident.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I don't understand, what do the kids sit in to travel in the car? just the backseat? with the car's normal seatbelt?

I'd be reporting then anonymously.

sounds like the fallout could be painful but you can't just stand by and do nothing.

I'm absolutely shocked!!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast