+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger

Default Parents don't use car seat wwyd?

Yesterday we had some relatives over, when they were leaving DH walked them out and later he told me they didn't have a car seat in their car for their 4yo. That reminded me that years ago when our kids were only a few months old we had a conversation where the mum said she still didn't have a car seat (her DS would have been almost 1 then) and asked me for recommendations. I was very clear that she should get one asap and told her which one I had and suggested some places she could get one.

Yesterday when DH told me I was shocked that 3 years later she still doesn't have one and I assume her child has never been in a car seat. I'm really uneasy about that, it's so dangerous.

This family is the type though that if you say anything to them they can fly off the handle and turn things into huge family fights. Would you say something or just keep your mouth shut. DH thinks I should say something and I do too but I'm wary of getting involved.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I wouldn't say anything to them. Maybe report them anonymously to Care and Protection so you don't have to deal with the fallout.

3. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

DarcyJ  (20-01-2016),DesperatelySeekingSleep  (18-01-2016),KitiK  (19-01-2016),Wise Enough  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Stay out of it and speak to the police if you want to pursue it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    If it were my family I would absolutely say something, not only is it against the law it's just plain reckless and stupid - people like this need to be told , maybe everyone is too scared and they honestly don't know any better as people won't speak up , forget family fall out , what if something happened to their child if they crashed the car - you'd never forgive yourself

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm in shock that someone didn't put their baby in a baby seat!!! A 5-6 year old I understand (the law there is a bit new), but a baby! Wow. I would say something regardless of the fallout.

Thanks
    Reviews

Do you have a spare one you could give them? Or just give them your one and tell them it's a spare you don't need and then buy yourself a new one? You shouldn't have to buy them one but if it means they will use it, it's worth it.
    Last edited by babyno1onboard; 18-01-2016 at 13:17.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

DesperatelySeekingSleep  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    Do you have a spare one you could give them? Or just give them your one and tell them it's a spare you don't need and then buy yourself a new one? You shouldn't have to buy them one but if it means they will use it, it's worth it.
    *if* the parents have gone this long without a car seat and/or not using a car seat is a trend for them chances are it's due to them being ********* and thinking they know best. One can only buy the lack of $ or lack of education excuse for so long . So unfortunately I'm not sure the OP giving away a car seat at this point would work.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

BlondeinBrisvegas  (18-01-2016),FearlessLeader  (18-01-2016),Kimmmm  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Unfortunately I'm not in a position to give them a car seat. We're having our second child soon so have to buy a second one ourselves plus we have never had car seats in DHs car and I'd like to get one for his car too so when we have the second he can take DD1 out sometimes or drop her off at daycare etc.

Also money can't be the issue as they spend quite a lot, always have the latest iPhone, iPads, laptops, cameras, the son wears a lot of kids designer clothes and shoes.

So I think it's is laziness or just a way of thinking that car seats aren't that important (you know old fashioned 'we lived without them and we're fine' sort of thinking).

I shudder to think what would happen if they had an accident. It seems
    so reckless to me. DH was appalled. If I were to say something what should I say?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    *if* the parents have gone this long without a car seat and/or not using a car seat is a trend for them chances are it's due to them being ********* and thinking they know best. One can only buy the lack of $ or lack of education excuse for so long . So unfortunately I'm not sure the OP giving away a car seat at this point would work.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. We know people like this too and they really do think they know best. They know the laws but also think that if it was good enough in their parents day, then it's good enough in their day. They survived so their kids will too (Not necessarily just about car seats but a range of things from smoking in the car, no booster from a young age, a belting with a belt, smacking a newborn etc.. Yep horrifying). Ultimately the only people they will listen to are the authorities after enough warnings.

Report anonymously.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

Kimmmm  (21-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just stay out of it. I can understand as much as she is being a negligent parent, unless she gets pulled over and gets fined, not much would happen, even then some parents are idiots. I know in WA, children don't need to be in a booster seat after a certain age but 1year old and not being in a car seat is plain reckless. My youngest daughter hasn't been in a booster seat since she was about 6 but I didn't have a car for a few years. I can't imagine not having a 12 month old in a carseat, that's just plain stupidity.