+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default 8 month old broken sleep

Hi mums!

DS2 is 8 months old and has never slept through. He goes to sleep at 6.30pm. Wakes at 11pm, 2am, 4am and up for the day at 5am (approx. times). I am still giving him a night feed at 4am. I know that he doesn't need this anymore and is purely wanting it over habit.

I need to get this baby sleeping well but I just don't know where to start I feel like I have tried everything!! I am pro controlled crying.

He still has a dummy and usually falls straight back to sleep once his dummy is back in. So is this the answer?? Do I need to kick the dummy? How do I do that? I haven't had a full nights sleep in 8 months and Its driving me crazy!

I just started one of the SOS daytime routines. He is eating a lot more and dropped a sleep through the day so I really thought that this would help night times.... didn't make one difference!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Both my kids were crappy sleepers 6-9mths but my eldest was shocking. She woke every 40min.

Imo it's an age/development stage. I'd ride it out and bedshare as necessary. But I'm an AP.

Good luck.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

binnielici  (18-01-2016),katieerin  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    @VicPark has lots of helpful ideas.

Me - not so much. But my kid was a terrible sleeper. I co-slept for sanity.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    A few things to consider:
    1) solids - is bub eating 3x per day with plenty of protein and carbs?
    2) day sleep - how many sleeps is bub having and for how long? Too much sleep during the day (or too little) can affect night sleep.
    3) room temp and bedding - what is the temp in bubs room and what bedding do you have bub in? Being too hot (or cold) could lead to frequent wakings.
    4) how bub falls to sleep/bubs sleep environment. Bub needs to fall asleep where you intend bub to wake. And with the environment being the same. If something is different bub wakes and think "what the! Where has XYZ gone?" And cracks it. Transferring bub from your arms to the cot after bub falls asleep can lead to night waking. Using a dummy and then the dummy falling out can lead to frequent night waking. If you pat bub to sleep (especially an older bub) this can lead to night waking. Feeding to sleep can affect bubs ability to self settle and can lead to night waking.
    - Some parents try to adopt 'positive sleep aids' which are positive in the sense they don't require adult intervention to get back to sleep (eg a teddy cloth comforter as opposed to a dummy or feeding to sleep). Another tip is to have 20 minutes of play after milk and before bed so bub doesn't rely on the bottle/boob to fall asleep. Try and put bub to bed awake. If needed drowsy but still awake.

If bub is eating plenty of solids and medical issues have been ruled out my bet would be how bub falls asleep is the key here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Hi OP, how frustrating! I know how sleep deprivation can be!

VP has some great tips there. I agree that the dummy has to go. I think you should also get the day sleeps right before trying any night time sleep training. So wake Bub at the same time every day and keep a log of when Bub shows first tired signs, when you start to settle Bub to sleep, when Bub actually falls asleep and then when he wakes up.

This way you will see. Pattern that you can base a day time schedule on. I am a believer that controlled crying is okay for babies over 6 months but I would only ever try it if Bub has no medical issues and is getting the right amount of sleep in the day, otherwise CC may not even work and could be distressing for you and Bub. There's no point in putting Bub to sleep at night to learn to self settle if he's still hungry or isn't tired enough to sleep (or even too tired).

But if he's okay medically and getting the right amount of sleep and awake time and food and drink in the day, I would try CC. Here is a link to some information about how to go about it.

http://m.raisingchildren.net.au/arti...omforting.html

7. The Following User Says Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I imagine you're exhausted. I have a 5mo who doesn't transition well (from awake to asleep) and wakes 3 times a night to feed.

As I was looking into sleep schools I came across another school of thought, which is that until they're 2, kids should not be expected to sleep through the night.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I think we focus far too much on what we think kids ought to be doing. Sleep training is a relatively recent thing, to minimise a child's disruption in our lives.

We have opted out of sleep school; I can't bear to put my little one through CC. I would be too much for me. If you look up gentle patenting methods, you may find some tips that work.

However, I do believe to each their own and if CC works for you and your family. Go for it. 😄

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ilex For This Useful Post:

BettyV  (18-01-2016),binnielici  (18-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lileitak View Post
    As I was looking into sleep schools I came across another school of thought, which is that until they're 2, kids should not be expected to sleep through the night.

I know this doesn't solve your problem, but I think we focus far too much on what we think kids ought to be doing. Sleep training is a relatively recent thing, to minimise a child's disruption in our lives.

We have opted out of sleep school; I can't bear to put my little one through CC. I would be too much for me. If you look up gentle patenting methods, you may find some tips that work.
    My school of thought too. It also helps that my family and friends are of similar parenting styles so kids that wake overnight are considered normal

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

ilex  (24-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    This isn't overly helpful to the OP. OP sleep training has been around for a very long time as it recognises how important good quality sleep is for babies and parents.

So if you feel your baby is capable of sleeping better than he is and you're not coping with life because of sleep deprivation, continue to seek help.

I've only ever wanted to improve my sleep for my family's health and mental wellbeing, not because my babies 'should' be sleeping better, just that it's possible they *may* sleep better. And OP it sounds like you're in the same boat so good luck with it all.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to A-Squared For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (18-01-2016),VicPark  (18-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week

Quote Originally Posted by A-Squared View Post
    This isn't overly helpful to the OP. OP sleep training has been around for a very long time as it recognises how important good quality sleep is for babies and parents.

So if you feel your baby is capable of sleeping better than he is and you're not coping with life because of sleep deprivation, continue to seek help.

I've only ever wanted to improve my sleep for my family's health and mental wellbeing, not because my babies 'should' be sleeping better, just that it's possible they *may* sleep better. And OP it sounds like you're in the same boat so good luck with it all.
    This.

OP yes it's normal for babies to not sleep through. It's also normal and acceptable for parents (grown adults) to use their brains to tweak how they do things to help their baby sleep through. Sleep is good - for bub and the whole family.

I am a firm believer that unless there are medical issues most older babies are capable of sleeping through. It's just a matter of the parents finding the right things to tweak (which isn't always easy I admit). Sometimes the things that need tweaking might not align with someone's parenting philosophy and that's ok. However *if* you want a peaceful nights sleep and are *if* you are happy to try new things then there is absolutely no reason why you need to accept from the outset that a child under 2 can't sleep through. A child under 2 waking through the night...Normal - yes. Preventable (unless there are medical issues) then in a majority of cases yes.
    Last edited by VicPark; 18-01-2016 at 12:44.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    We have opted out of sleep school; I can't bear to put my little one through CC.
    Must be a pretty unique and crap sleep school near you if all they have in their parenting toolkit to offer you is cc. Maybe shop around a bit? Plenty of sleep schools near me focus on gentle strategies.