+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    EDIT: quote didn't work - same Smiggle one as PP with the separate zip compartment on top.

DD got one of these for Christmas and I am so thrilled - I had seen this style of lunchbox in the classroom and think they are fantastic. When she had cut fruit, I couldn't fit sandwich box + 2 snack boxes + fruit box into the standard Smash style zip coolers.

I use all the Systema click containers (got coloured ones a few years ago, haven't seen them yet this year) and they have a (mostly waterproof) seal. I also use MyLilPouch for yoghurt. I like separate containers for each item for a few reasons - some mummy, some teacher:
    - If lunch box gets knocked over, only one item gets ruined
    - Smells don't taint other foods (eg. salami or tuna)
    - Sandwiches aren't exposed to air 1-2 times before lunch
    - Makes it easier for the teacher to spot if kid is tucking in to lunch during recess (some kids will eat everything at recess and then be so cranky by the end of the day).
    - If crackers/cookies don't get eaten, the container can just be re-packed the next day meaning less waste

The bento-style boxes look so cool and bring out the shopaholic in me but, alas, I've seen one too many lunchbox fly across the room as someone nudges past to put their apple in the compost!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Is the sistema from Coles or Kmart any good? I don't want to spend big for first time use for the kids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sistema is good. They do go in special every now and then at coles and woollies for half price.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    For anyone interested in the Yumbox, I received mine in the mail today.

I really like it, however it's a bit smaller than I imagined (I bought the original bento style box, not the Panino which holds a sandwich).

It'll suit our needs, but if your child is a pretty big eater it's not going to cut it (unless you are happy to pack additional food separately).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Degrassi View Post
    For anyone interested in the Yumbox, I received mine in the mail today.

I really like it, however it's a bit smaller than I imagined (I bought the original bento style box, not the Panino which holds a sandwich).

It'll suit our needs, but if your child is a pretty big eater it's not going to cut it (unless you are happy to pack additional food separately).
    Have you tried using it yet? When mine arrived in the mail I felt the same, however have been using for 3 or so weeks now and I must say I'm surprised at just how much food you can pack in there despite the compact size! It really just means chopping up things smaller, and not including packaged food (which doesn't suit everyone I know) means less wasted space. We used to use those big nude lunch boxes but I am finding I fit just as much food in the bento. Cut small, pack tightly 😊

7. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnygirl79 For This Useful Post:

Mod-Degrassi  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    Have you tried using it yet? When mine arrived in the mail I felt the same, however have been using for 3 or so weeks now and I must say I'm surprised at just how much food you can pack in there despite the compact size! It really just means chopping up things smaller, and not including packaged food (which doesn't suit everyone I know) means less wasted space. We used to use those big nude lunch boxes but I am finding I fit just as much food in the bento. Cut small, pack tightly
    Haven't used it yet, but I did have a second look and realised the compartments are of a reasonable depth.

Thanks for the reassurance

Thanks
    Reviews
    I bought these today at a Japanese store called daiso. They are stainless steel and very light. Not sure if they are leak proof but I will use for dry foods anyway. $2.80 each.
    Attached Images

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nafsika View Post
    Is the sistema from Coles or Kmart any good? I don't want to spend big for first time use for the kids.
    Aldi has some sistema sandwhich size lunchboxes for $3.50

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Jontu For This Useful Post:

Nafsika  (22-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Jontu View Post
    Aldi has some sistema sandwhich size lunchboxes for $3.50
    No Aldi in SA yet. I know the ones you mean though....Coles had 30% last week. But I know they usually do 50% off.

Can't wait for an Aldi here....

kiwimum890 is offline It won't happen overnight, but it will happen!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Following, not sure if the current lunchbox I have is going to cut it...