+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Tadpoles going beserk - anyone speak 'pole?

OK so this morning I cleaned our small tadpole tank, I let the water sit in a large clean bucket for a few days, washed the stones and put the same stones and plants back in with the 'aired' water. Since then they have gone crazy - they are approximately 2 weeks old and don't have any legs yet. They're swimming into the corners of the tank when I come close and are all swimming full on crazy around the top and grouping in the corners and looking at me.

I have not been drinking or taking drugs for the record.

Anyone speak tadpole? Please don't tell me I'm going to have nine little corpses in the morning, DD will be distraught!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    What did you wash the stones and tank with?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Was it tap water? I only ever used spring water for mine.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Tap water should be fine if it was left for a couple of days.

I'd second what did you wash the stones with? Detergent is a big no-no.

Do you have a filter on the tank? Don't necessarily need one but if you don't have one then it's best to wash only half the rocks at a time.

Did you change all of the water in the tank or just some of it? Again best to only change 25-30% of the water at a time.

I'm caveating this by saying I've had heaps of aquariums with fish but not tadpoles.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Ours have lasted months only a few stragglers left. They live in a polystyrene box on our verandah. Once the water evaporates a bit once a week I remove a bit of extra water as it's really murky then I top them up with tank water. Then we go to a trough and find some debris with algae for the tadpoles to eat and that's it. Not much love given to them but they seen to have survived the distance and given the kids much joy!!! Good luck with yours OP..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Thanks hubbers - still have 9 out of 9. I did change all of the water, but used only tap water to wash the rocks. They're still freaking me out and looking at me!