+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Lovan in Pregnancy Question

Hello everyone.

I need some help with an issue. I am almost 7 Wk pregnant and taking Lovan 20mg (Prozac). I have been given mixed information. My GP says to stay on the Lovan for my mental health ( I get anxiety and depression mild to moderate ) I called a pharmacist at the Women's hospital and was told studies show no significant risk to baby.
    Then I go on the net and there's studies showing there could actually be risks of deformities like skull and limb shortening, autism, (Text deleted by Moderator), heart defects to name a few. Now I'm so scared.
    I can't wait till my next appointment. I think I'll stop the Lovan altogether ( wean down as of tonight). I think I can manage for 8 months or so. I am just worried that damage may have already occurred to the baby and I'm petrified. I don't think I will be able to cope with disabled child or the guilty.
    Has any one out there been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your support
    Anna
    Last edited by Mod-Uniquey; 16-01-2016 at 11:27. Reason: Word use no longer politically correct

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by auntistasia View Post
    Hello everyone.

I need some help with an issue. I am almost 7 Wk pregnant and taking Lovan 20mg (Prozac). I have been given mixed information. My GP says to stay on the Lovan for my mental health ( I get anxiety and depression mild to moderate ) I called a pharmacist at the Women's hospital and was told studies show no significant risk to baby.
    Then I go on the net and there's studies showing there could actually be risks of deformities like skull and limb shortening, autism, retardation, heart defects to name a few. Now I'm so scared.
    I can't wait till my next appointment. I think I'll stop the Lovan altogether ( wean down as of tonight). I think I can manage for 8 months or so. I am just worried that damage may have already occurred to the baby and I'm petrified. I don't think I will be able to cope with disabled child or the guilty.
    Has any one out there been in a similar situation?

Thanks in advance for your support
    Anna
    Hi Anna, it might be a good idea to call Medicines Line. They are available during office hours, so you will have to wait until Monday though. The number is 1300 Medicines, I think but I'll check & post back in a minute

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    It's 1300 Medicine. More info here. http://www.nps.org.au/contact-us/medicines-line

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I took lexapro while I was pregnant. No abnormalities or issues when she was born. She's almost 5

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply. I'm glad all worked out for you.
    I'm new to the forum and not sure this is the right spot to post but I couldn't find a specific 'feed' thingy.
    Kriista I wonder I you remember at the time, did you take it from start of your pregnancy ? Also did your doctor ask you to reduce the dose or tell you of potential side effects? I reduced my lovan to 10 me as of last night and I may stop it altogether. I dunno.
    Thanks again for your thoughts.
    Anna