+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Claiming Paid Parental Leave whilst self Employed Query

Hi everyone,

I have a question about PPL that I've been googling without much luck so I'm wondering if anyone is in the same boat as me??

I'm a sole trader running my own bookkeeping business and I bill the same 10 clients each month. I would like to claim PPL when I have my 2nd baby but i'm unsure how I would legally be able do this if i'm not allowed to work in my business during the time that i get paid PPL.

Has anyone successfully managed to keep their business afloat and how I do I keep my clients happy if i'm not allowed to work for them during this 18 weeks?

I currently bill monthly but I am considering switching to quarterly billing instead so that I can at least claim PPL for 12 weeks...

Thank You
    Last edited by ilovegiraffes; 15-01-2016 at 21:35.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I did for my first, there's not a whole lot of checking, if you know what I mean... From memory it was simply a declaration on my PPL form.

Personally I didn't work those 18 weeks (probably closer to 6 months, I couldn't have a shower some days let alone work!). I told my clients I was going on maternity leave and arranged for alternative persons to handle their work while I was on leave. You're still allowed to keep up correspondence etc. My clients were happy to wait.

However, for arguement's sake, you could always wait and bill later, if you can afford not to be paid for that length of time. I think it's all about traceability, if there's no record that you were working on a particular day, then you weren't working. Just make sure all your paperwork is in order.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much for your reply Sunnygirl, I feel like I could wait to bill after the 3 month time frame since I would be able to use the PPL to pay my business bills.

It would be really nice to have that 3 month window where my clients aren't expecting alot of work to be completed. It technically only needed to be completed by the BAS due date anyway so I could possibly enjoy the newborn phase (as much as you could whilst also looking after a 3 year old!! Lol)