+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Packing my hospital bag... Advice?

HI ALL..
    I'm 25 weeks pregnant, 20 years old and a FTM.. I'm trying to pack my hospital bag but am a little stuck on what to put in there.. I'm a no risk pregnancy at this stage so am not planning on staying long in hospital at all... And if by chance I do have to, it will be as short a stay as I can..
    I'm growing at a normal rate (25cm at 25 weeks).. I have a large range of baby clothes already in varying sizes but am not sure what size to pack..? I already have a toothbrush set (toothbrush, floss, toothpicks), heat pack and a colouring book, socks and a couple tops that are a few sizes too big so I don't have to repack in a few weeks...
    Any advise would be helpful.. I don't really want to repack every few weeks unless I have to.. I have looked up some recommended lists of things to take but any advice would be good...
    Thanks all,
    Bits..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    probably a bit early to start packing a bag but better to be over prepared than under prepared I guess!

have you googled hospital bag checklists? they're usually a good start.

you'll need essentials like maternity pads, boob pads, baby nappies, shower toiletries for yourself, any other snacks or bits and pieces you might like to bring along etc.

umm a selection of clothes for bub, some clothes and underwear for you, nipple cream if you're planning to BF etc.

that's about all that's in mine!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Packing my hospital bag... Advice?

Baby clothes a couple of things in 0000, a couple of things in 000. Don't go too overboard with baby stuff, especially if you're not going to be in hospital long. Also don't forget nappies and wipes. That is basically all you need for baby.

For you, make sure you have plenty of undies. Most people prefer using their old ones they can throw away and/or black ones. You'll bleed quite heavily for the first day or 2, so there's a good chance you'll have a leakage accident at some point! Also, look at where the waist band sits. If they're tight, skimpy undies that sit right on the crease of your bikini line, you may find them too uncomfortable/tight if you end up with a caesarean. I've had people swear by men's undies for this reason....

Also, pads. Maternity/super pads (1-2 packs) and then some normal pads.

If you're planning to BF, friends swear by the hydrogel breast discs to help soothe sore/tender nipples.

Make sure you have socks. Hospitals get cold overnight and if your feet are cold, chances are the rest of you will be too!

Pair of slip on shoes and/or thongs. You won't want to walk around the hospital barefoot, but you also won't want something that may not fit your feet if they get swollen or puffy.

In regards to your heat pack you may not be able to use it. We don't allow them for a few reasons. 1. Infection control - chances are you'll want to heat it in a microwave that other people will reheat their food in. 2. There's a chance they can catch fire. 3. If it's too hot and you fall asleep on it/can't feel it because you're numb from an epidural etc you can burn yourself. If this happens in hospital it becomes a major issue (I've seen some awful burns from heat packs when people don't have full sensation). If you have a plug in/electric heat pack (I have 2 and they're brilliant) you will need to get it checked by biomedical to make sure it's not going to short out the power. Also, they still may not allow it for the reasons above. Where I work we have the instant/disposable heat packs for patients. They're awesome, and we always have plenty!

That's all I can think of at the moment from a practical midwife perspective 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would go 1 00000 (just in case), a couple of 0000's and a couple of 000 - I find baby clothes can be like adult clothes - even though they're the same size, they can sometimes fit a bit differently. Once you know how big baby is, you can get your partner or family to bring in more clothes of the right size.

Baby blankets.

Nappies, wipes and pads - some hospitals don't supply them (we officially don't, but obviously if you run out or don't bring any, then we're not going to leave you high and dry).

Phone charger - grab a cheap spare one and just leave it in there, that way you won't have to worry about it packing it or forgetting it

Toiletries - shower, conditioner, soap/body wash, face wash, moisturiser, toothbrush etc. The amount of people that don't bring their own amazes me!!!

A jumper/cardigan/hoodie - even if it's summer the aircon can sometimes be absolutely freezing.

Comfy (big) undies - pack a few extras in case of leakage.

Loose pyjama shorts - if you end up with a catheter for whatever reason, pants that are long and tight are a nightmare for catheters!.

Tops to easily access your boobs - either button up or something that you can bring one out of the top. Rolling your top up and keeping it there isn't as easy in the early days whilst learning.

Thongs - hospitals are disgusting. 'Nuff said.

Favourite snacks - there's usually a tearoom with tea/coffee/toast/basic sandwiches but often missing things like milo, biscuits etc.

Essential oils if you have some favourite scents or blends. Most birth suites have an oil burner available to use.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Are you public/private? And does your hospital supply anything? I am taking:
    *BF singlets (I plan on staying 2 nights but will pack 4 in case of accidents/longer hospital stay.
    *Lanisoh and hydrogel discs. Probably only pack reusable breast pads as my milk will prob come in at home not hospital.
    *Lots of undies. I am a person that packs extra so I'll prob take 6 or so
    *Pads. Probably 2 packs maternity. I bled a bit after my 1st.
    *Cardigan/s (as I am wearing BF singlets)
    *Comfy pj's that are button up shirt
    *Toiletries - a nice shampoo/conditioner/body scrub/body wash/hand cream etc (nothing better than feeling fresh and smelling nice after labour)
    *Baby gets clothes while in hospital but I will pack 2x outfits (1st was small so I will bring 00000 and 0000), a few nappies (some are provided) and wipes. I will bring wrap/blanket as well.
    *Snacks

Yeah. I am packing lots but there is enough room for it in hospital (private with all single rooms and private bathrooms).

ETA. The heat packs provided by the hospital are good. Used it lots while in labour with a posterior bub until he turned.

Thanks
    Reviews
    In addition to everything above, one of the best things I took were those flushable wipes. They are heaven on sore, swollen ladybits when going to the toilet if you end up having a natural birth!! You won't want scratchy hospital toilet paper anywhere near them after pushing a baby out!!

+ 1 on the lanisoh nipple cream and lots of big, cheap black undies that you're happy to dispose of afterwards, and tops that button up the front or Bonds maternity singlets with a cardi over the top for easy breastfeeding access.

All the best OP! So exciting!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    oh yes, fem fresh wipes. my sister got me onto those! they're ph balanced so are supposed to be gentle on the lady bits.

I've also packed ural (apparently it neutralizes your wee so if you have stitches etc, it will sting less) and a stool softener just in case. it was on one of the checklists and i'd rather have it and not need it than not bring it and wish I had.

Thanks
    Reviews
    What everyone else has said 😀 plus ear plugs just in case and shower cap I always use but always forget! Zip up hoodie plus maternity singlet for easy breastfeeding/button up pjs. Comfy trackies. Granny undies. Hydrogel breast discs.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Following so I can check once I have started packing. Which I need to do soon. 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    I treated myself to hotel sized shampoo and conditioner. An expensive brand I wouldn't usually get as well as a body wash and face wash. Now whenever I smell that it reminds me of my first amazing shower! Also I bought lots of big, black granny undies because i had a csect and they sat up over my scar and I could just chuck them if I accidentally leaked. I also had too many outfits for bubs, realistically I only needed one. Our hospital provided clothes and blankets.

Take your maternity clothes and make sure they're comfy, slippers to cruise the halls in and a snuggly robe too cos the air con can get cool in there.

Oooh oooh a lip balm cos your lips dry out and a water bottle cos those little glasses they supply don't cut it when you're breast feeding. I got soooo thirsty and would nail a whole bottle in just one feed!

I think they were the essentials...