+ Reply to Thread
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Online Photo Storage

I have a lot of photos. Over 50gb. I have them on my external hard drive but this isn't reliable. So I'm looking at online storage.
    What company I could use that's private and safe.
    I have printed main ones into photo books but like to back up the rest and I don't trust devices like cd,sd,USB etc cause they do crash.
    I've gone through two external hard drives already.
    Any thoughts on online photo storage?

Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We've got 1 TB of cloud storage with iDrive. We chose them in part for price, in part because the interface/file management seemed more flexible than some other systems. I initially did a 3-month free trial with Amazon's cloud storage service, and the interface seemed really dumbed-down- aimed at possibly older users who just want to dump files rather than "manage" them. As it turns out, there are also things I'd love to change about iDrive's file management- it's hard to change file structures without having to resync the data. But, it's way better than Amazon.

With iDrive I discovered that if you start the sign-up process but don't actually take a paid subscription, they'll send you an email a couple of days later offering a far better discounted rate.

Our biggest issue so far has been trying to upload our data- our own connection is so ridiculously slow that it's taken months to upload everything (about 800GB).

If you only have 50GB, there are various free cloud storage options you could use. Have a look at Google Drive or Dropbox or Box, for example. Or if you've got just a little bit more than 50 GB, maybe split the data between two free services?
    Last edited by Gentoo; 15-01-2016 at 10:14.