+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    A lot of people will say that canberra is cliquey but it hasn't been my experience. Since having my first baby I've made so many new mum friends, some in the berra for a few years and some long term, hasn't mattered. There are so many free events in canberra for parents to meet up, there are always mums looking for new people to join playgroups, walking groups, paint and play. Lots of good mums facebook groups top.

You have to start small and find people you click with but I think you'll find there are enough events and groups to join so you'll find some to suit you and people you enjoy being around.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Clementine Grace View Post
    A lot of people will say that canberra is cliquey but it hasn't been my experience. Since having my first baby I've made so many new mum friends, some in the berra for a few years and some long term, hasn't mattered. There are so many free events in canberra for parents to meet up, there are always mums looking for new people to join playgroups, walking groups, paint and play. Lots of good mums facebook groups top.

You have to start small and find people you click with but I think you'll find there are enough events and groups to join so you'll find some to suit you and people you enjoy being around.
    I think being pregnant and having a new/first baby in a new city most likely throws most city stereotypes out of the window as you and other new parents are all thrown together into a similar experience and it gives you the opportunity to relate and bond with heaps of different and new people, especially when communities/councils hold so many different activities for new parents.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnyflower View Post
    G

I have no idea what you are on about. I have lived here all my life and have never seen what you are describing. I am certaintly not pretentious nor are any of my friends. This is such a wierd post.
    well there's all sorts, obviously. I wouldn't have said those residing in Langford or kenwick would be overly cliquey or pretentious, I was more referring to the golden triangle set (and those who aspire to the golden triangle set even more).

I'm a Perth girl myself so I do know what I'm talking about. clearly you're a bit offended I've rubbished poor old Perth. don't get me wrong, I love Perth. probably more now that I don't live there. it's a lovely place to come for a nice warm beach break. the $6 coffees need work but hey, can't have it all eh? Perth beaches are among the best in the world too. I'm talking nice enough to rival the Caribbean.

I ♥️ Perth, I just find certain crowds tend to be very cliquey.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    well there's all sorts, obviously. I wouldn't have said those residing in Langford or kenwick would be overly cliquey or pretentious, I was more referring to the golden triangle set (and those who aspire to the golden triangle set even more).

I'm a Perth girl myself so I do know what I'm talking about. clearly you're a bit offended I've rubbished poor old Perth. don't get me wrong, I love Perth. probably more now that I don't live there. it's a lovely place to come for a nice warm beach break. the $6 coffees need work but hey, can't have it all eh? Perth beaches are among the best in the world too. I'm talking nice enough to rival the Caribbean.

I ♥️ Perth, I just find certain crowds tend to be very cliquey.
    Well I don't. And if you are hanging out with people that live in expensive areas ie Dalkeith , Peppy grove than really what do you expect? The same can be said for exclusive areas in Sydney or Melbourne.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I usually just chat to people outright if I meet people IRL. If I get a good vibe back then I admit I'm new and I'm looking for friends. That check out lady in Aldi today was lovely so I told her I was new to the area and she said that she has kids at home so we made plans for the library on Monday. If she comes that's great! If I get stood up that's OK too. I will try again another time.

I'm not too worried about rejection. Not everyone likes everybody. Besides I'm a phenomenal cook so most people love me coz I feed them really well.
    I can't believe you picked up the Aldi chick!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

AdornedWithCats  (17-01-2016),azelqra  (17-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you cope with loneliness??

Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I usually just chat to people outright if I meet people IRL. If I get a good vibe back then I admit I'm new and I'm looking for friends. That check out lady in Aldi today was lovely so I told her I was new to the area and she said that she has kids at home so we made plans for the library on Monday. If she comes that's great! If I get stood up that's OK too. I will try again another time.

I'm not too worried about rejection. Not everyone likes everybody. Besides I'm a phenomenal cook so most people love me coz I feed them really well.
    Your outlook and positivity is awesome

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/4/15100 Posts in a week
    Well I don't. And if you are hanging out with people that live in expensive areas ie Dalkeith , Peppy grove than really what do you expect? The same can be said for exclusive areas in Sydney or Melbourne.
    I don't know Perth from a bar of soap but even cliquey places are easier to break into when you've had kids. I live in an exclusive area in Adelaide, but neither my DH or I grew up around here and our friends are all from primary school, high school, Uni or various jobs. You can't get offended by someone generalising about a city then turn around and say something generalising around people who live in exclusive areas.

OP, you're so confident and I'm glad you've organised some play dates. I hope you make some strong friendships out of some if not all of them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    not derailing the OP's thread anymore.

not sure why you've taken such issue with my post, this is a forum and I'm sharing my opinion.

we'll agree to disagree

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think it matters where you live, whether an area is expensive or cheap, I know of suburbs in perth that are full of wealthy people and they aren't cliquey. When I met dh we were from opposite ends of the spectrum and neither of us found the others area of residence cliquey. I think it's more to do with what effort you make to get out there and meet people. If your shy and hang back your most likely not going to meet people easily so you may assume it's cliquey when it probably isn't the case.
    When ds started school I said hello to the other mothers rather than not say anything, you get a hello back and then make conversation, I soon made friends.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

sunnyflower  (17-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Blessedwith3boys View Post
    I don't think it matters where you live, whether an area is expensive or cheap, I know of suburbs in perth that are full of wealthy people and they aren't cliquey. When I met dh we were from opposite ends of the spectrum and neither of us found the others area of residence cliquey. I think it's more to do with what effort you make to get out there and meet people. If your shy and hang back your most likely not going to meet people easily so you may assume it's cliquey when it probably isn't the case.
    When ds started school I said hello to the other mothers rather than not say anything, you get a hello back and then make conversation, I soon made friends.
    Yep I agree.