+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I find Australia in general extremely cliquey. I found it really hard to make friends when I moved to Melbourne and it took closer to two years to feel at home. Everybody already had their group of friends and seemed not interested in making new ones.
    I find it generally harder to make friends as we all get older. people become more and more enmeshed in their own lives, jobs, kids etc. and once people have found a comfy group of friends, it becomes harder and harder to break into that.

God it was all so easy back in the old days. everyone was single, unattached and had not a care in the world.

I know I should make more effort to make friends but I haven't the time or energy. I guess it must not be that much of a priority for me or else I would.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    in response to the OP's question, what about joining a local fb mums group? I'm a part of my local mums & bubs group and they're always having meet ups and going for a wine or dinner etc.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I.guess it depends on the person. I need human social interaction on a daily basis to feel happy. Maternity leave is very isolating and as I won't be working for a bit I definitely need some adult interaction during the week.

I've had to start over a few times now as I've moved so many times with several interstate and an international move. Normally I do OK but I'm truly struggling this time with my headspace.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    I.guess it depends on the person. I need human social interaction on a daily basis to feel happy. Maternity leave is very isolating and as I won't be working for a bit I definitely need some adult interaction during the week.

I've had to start over a few times now as I've moved so many times with several interstate and an international move. Normally I do OK but I'm truly struggling this time with my headspace.
    from all the posts I've seen on here from you, you definitely sound like a social butterfly and someone who thrives on lots of human contact.

I hope you find what you're looking for as it sounds like you're a bit depressed and flat with the current situation xx

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turquoisecoast For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (15-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    I'm not a social butterfly. For me to build a friendship with someone I need regular contact with the same group/people in a reasonably smallish setting.

So for me - going to the library and meeting randoms wouldn't work. Playgroups, school and mothers group (would you consider joining a mums group even though bub is your third?) would be my best chances if success. And sticking with any one group for at least 7-8 sessions.

Hope this helps

Thanks
    Reviews
    ACT mach had denied me a mother's group as I have older kids.

Yes I plan to keep going to sessions. So far I've got 3X playgroups, 2X library sessions, an ABA meet up, a sewing circle and a book club in my diary to start in Feb.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you have a look on Ethical Jobs website you maybe able to find a suitable volunteer role

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews

Default How do you cope with loneliness??

Quote Originally Posted by HollyGolightly81 View Post
    I find Australia in general extremely cliquey. I found it really hard to make friends when I moved to Melbourne and it took closer to two years to feel at home. Everybody already had their group of friends and seemed not interested in making new ones.
    Moved to Sydney nearly 3 years ago and been the same cliquey you describe - have done many moves before and it's not been like here - actually had one person say to me that because we had only just arrived and there may be a chance we wouldn't stay, wasn't much point people being friendly or investing time in getting to know us .... I just thought wow .....agree is harder as get older as well though.....

To the op - I hope you do find what you are looking for - and you sound lovely to get to know!
    Last edited by crabby; 15-01-2016 at 20:39.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to crabby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    ACT mach had denied me a mother's group as I have older kids.
    . .
    Whaaatttttt!! Surely as someone new to the area due to hubby serving the country they would have made an exception. !

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Whaaatttttt!! Surely as someone new to the area due to hubby serving the country they would have made an exception. !
    Generally with the health nurses (can only speak from experience in Vic) they are only responsible for setting up the initial groups- once the 12 weeks or whatever are up, the groups can then choose to go it alone or become a playgroup, in which case they fall under playgroups not Maternal Child Health. OP, find out if there is a playgroup officer in your local council and they may be able to help you.