+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You're doing all the right things... Mothers group may also be another avenue to try. Also a mothers fitness / PT group - they are usually more sociable than the gym.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Another thing I'm struggling with is that we are in Canberra for 3-5yrs. So long enough to need friends but it's not our forever home.

Most of the defence mums I met are also here short term so it's an odd feeling. Like how much effort they will expend for someone they will only know for a 1-2yrs. Meanwhile I'm a friend hog. I need the personal interaction from people other than dh.

Dh, bless his heart, suggested he would be my friend. I told him I need someone to whinge about how awful he and his mother can be.

3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (15-01-2016),Californication  (15-01-2016),JR03  (16-01-2016),Mokeybear  (15-01-2016),sparklebug  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Another thing I'm struggling with is that we are in Canberra for 3-5yrs. So long enough to need friends but it's not our forever home.

Most of the defence mums I met are also here short term so it's an odd feeling. Like how much effort they will expend for someone they will only know for a 1-2yrs. Meanwhile I'm a friend hog. I need the personal interaction from people other than dh.

Dh, bless his heart, suggested he would be my friend. I told him I need someone to whinge about how awful he and his mother can be.
    LOL!!

I was going to suggest playgroup, but seems you're onto that. It's where I made most of my friends after moving. What about some sort of club? Book, movie etc?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Sonja View Post
    It sucks. We moved to WA when I was 5 months pregnant with #3 and my others were 5 and 18 months. I was so lonely. I cried every day. And we live minutes from the beach so we had heaps to do.

Really until school started it took me a while to find my way. Even then it took time as Perth can be very cliquey, and many people were suspicious about how long we'd be in Perth so didn't want to make a huge effort to befriend us.

For my kids sake I just had to keep smiling and putting myself out there. once school started we had lots of play dates. I accepted every invitation we received.

I still remember turning 40 6 months after we moved and thinking "who the ---- am I going to invite to a party?". I wound up inviting a whole bunch of people I'd met only once or twice and it turned into a really nice afternoon.

It will be hard until the school year kicks off. We've been here 5 years now and only now feel settled.
    Perth is extremely cliquey in that try hard, pretentious way. all the "perthonalities" and the sad hangers on who aspire to be like them.

it's definitely an aspect of Perth I do not miss!! and I find myself cringing when I come to visit and see it in action.

Perth would be fricken amazing if it lost that chip on its shoulder. ditto for all the bars/establishments that cater for this demographic.

ok rant over. sorry to derail your thread OP!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I was in your position two years ago. 25 weeks pregnant and we had just moved to London, only anticipating being here 3-5 years as well. I have found the first year always the hardest (with a previous move to London and moving to Melbourne) and that it takes at least that long to really feel at home in a new city. Two years in now and I don't really mind if we stay in London longer or decide to move back to Melbourne, I would feel happy and settled with either choice.

I imagine since you have girls in school the transition may be a bit faster, that once school and more activities start you will start to meet a lot more people. I really didn't start to meet people until after DS was born and there were more new mum meet ups to go to (no mothers groups in London 😔). There was a 'bump to baby' group where I met a couple girls but we ended up moving shortly after so I had to start over again on the friend front when DS was about 4 months old.

One thing that has helped tremendously is that my neighborhood has it's own secret moms Facebook page. Once I got invited into that it opened a whole new world for me. It's kinda mix mash FB group, part buy/sell/give/borrow but also advice, questions etc. it enabled me to know exactly what groups were on in my neighborhood but you also start to recognize people in the park or cafe and are more likely to introduce yourself and randomly start chatting and then build a friendship because you only live around the corner from each other. Is there an FB page for the local military moms? A mother's group to join since you have just had a baby? Did you say if you randomly chat up ladies in the park? 😉

I think you're doing all you can, just have to be patient ☺️

7. The Following User Says Thank You to HollyGolightly81 For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    Perth is extremely cliquey in that try hard, pretentious way. all the "perthonalities" and the sad hangers on who aspire to be like them.

it's definitely an aspect of Perth I do not miss!! and I find myself cringing when I come to visit and see it in action.

Perth would be fricken amazing if it lost that chip on its shoulder. ditto for all the bars/establishments that cater for this demographic.

I find Australia in general extremely cliquey. I found it really hard to make friends when I moved to Melbourne and it took closer to two years to feel at home. Everybody already had their group of friends and seemed not interested in making new ones.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Have you considered volunteering at a charity? Volunteers in the office are always needed and it's a great culture and very friendly in the non profit sector..

10. The Following User Says Thank You to amiracle4me For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (16-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good idea about volunteering!! Never thought of that.

Yes I do strike up random conversations with people.

Thank you to all those lovely people that replied and those that msged me and offered to meet up for the first time in a long time I'm feeling hopeful for the future.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

amiracle4me  (15-01-2016),babyno1onboard  (15-01-2016),binnielici  (15-01-2016),HollyGolightly81  (15-01-2016),MissMuppet  (15-01-2016),Sonja  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post

I agree a lot of Perth is like that we deliberately chose a suburb close to the beach so we can make that connection to water and sea and forget about the rest of the city. I feel twitchy going more than 1km inland.

But you find your niche. There are good places and people in every city. Sometimes you just have to dig deeper.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Rose&Aurelia&Hannah View Post
    Good idea about volunteering!! Never thought of that.

Yes I do strike up random conversations with people.

Thank you to all those lovely people that replied and those that msged me and offered to meet up for the first time in a long time I'm feeling hopeful for the future.
    You won't know yourself in a few months. Just one or two connections and bingo it starts to happen.

With an open mind like yours you'll be fine!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (15-01-2016)