+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Does your DF's workplace have an enterprise/workplace agreement? If so go through it with a fine tooth comb and take any concerns to the local union delegate.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I've been in HR for a long while, and here are some thoughts I have:

How long has this manager been in his role? If he's negotiating things like extra benefits for himself, he may be ambitious and move on. How long do managers normally stay in their roles at your DF's workplace?

Can DF have a confidential chat with the union just to get some advice? Then he won't be a trouble maker and he can get some ideas about what to do. He doesn't have to go in with all guns blazing and lodge a bullying claim and go out on stress leave. Just a quick chat might help him negotiate the politics of this a little better.

Is your DF the only person there who has an issue with this manager or are there others who have similar issues? If he has the support of a few colleagues, could they have a chat with the union together? That might be a way to approach the union without isolating himself as a "troublemaker". If there are any managers who like him, they may also be able to lend support.

If DF has been there for 15 years, does he have a lot of leave saved up? Would a break help?

In my experience, it does pay to tread carefully when getting the union involved, especially if he hasn't spoken with the manager and tried to resolve the issue directly. Unfair as it is, getting the union involved can be career limiting, at least until the manager moves on. Of course, this depends on the company, and I don't know how this would play out in your DF"s workplace.

Hope you can both work something out - sounds like a very unpleasant situation.
    This. And be very careful about going to the one-up boss ... Can be a helluva career limiting move when you don't know whether upper management thinks this guy is the cat's pyjamas.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Vixjc For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by babyno1onboard View Post
    I'm going to say something here that you probably won't like....but....does your DH have in his contract that he will be given a certain number of shift hours? If not then I'm not sure he really can complain about not getting them (whinge yes but legally complain I'm not sure). Yes he has a wedding to pay but that's not his employers problem or responsibility.
    Yes. He is full time. Taking him off shift actually increases the number of days at work and decreases his pay by about $300 per week.
    The not putting him on the roster he will say "I forgot" but he has never ever forgotten anyone before. It is to bully df.
    Df got the news about shift change last Tuesday. He worked on Wednesday, then was away Thursday - Monday on planned leave. He had Monday off, pre-arranged. Df was sick on Tuesday and the dr felt he should have Wednesday off too. Df called immediate management at work and let them know. He sent a photo of the dr cert to boss. Went back to work today, and has been met with this roster that only has him on for the next two weeks.

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by VicPark View Post
    Does your DF's workplace have an enterprise/workplace agreement? If so go through it with a fine tooth comb and take any concerns to the local union delegate.
    Yes. I have no idea where to find it though?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Yes. He is full time. Taking him off shift actually increases the number of days at work and decreases his pay by about $300 per week.
    The not putting him on the roster he will say "I forgot" but he has never ever forgotten anyone before. It is to bully df.
    Df got the news about shift change last Tuesday. He worked on Wednesday, then was away Thursday - Monday on planned leave. He had Monday off, pre-arranged. Df was sick on Tuesday and the dr felt he should have Wednesday off too. Df called immediate management at work and let them know. He sent a photo of the dr cert to boss. Went back to work today, and has been met with this roster that only has him on for the next two weeks.
    If he's full time they def have to pay him regardless of whether they give him hours. Sorry I meant before about whether his contract states he would get a certain number of penalty rate hours vs. normal hours. Usually contracts just state the number of hours and any additional pay from penalty rates are on top of a minimum salary. I don't think I've explained myself well at all. Ahhh! Anyway as a PP mentioned, best to check his contract

Good luck!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    Yes. I have no idea where to find it though?
    Get your hubby to ask his local union delegate where he can find a copy. Perhaps your hubby's union will have a copy on their website (probably member only access).

The workplace agreement is the rule book when it comes to what is acceptable in the workplace. Things like shift work (pay, notice, overtime etc) are usually heavily covered in agreements. Each workplace agreement will be different though. As a manager I consult my workplace agreement at least every second day.

From my experience once managers are advised their actions aren't consistent with the workplace agreement, they change their tune pretty quickly. Raising an issue without it harming your career is an artform though. The trick is confidentiality - don't gossip to others. And professionalism - address the issue don't attack the person. If your hubby isn't comfortable taking with the boss directly then perhaps he can have a support person with him (eg union delegate).

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to VicPark For This Useful Post:

babyno1onboard  (14-01-2016),LoveLivesHere  (14-01-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016),TheGooch  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Happened to me. I was on shift for 6 years. Took maternity leave then got told I would be coming back as a day worker for at least a year to retrain. I took 9 months off!! Anyway I took it to the union and the company said they could as I wasn't a permanent shift employee, just a day worker filling in on shift. For 6 years.

The union challenged how I can be temporary after 6 years. The company backed down and I got my shift job back. I think anything after a few months is classed as permanent shift.

Happy to discuss more via Pm.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wise Enough For This Useful Post:

HillDweller  (16-01-2016),TheGooch  (15-01-2016),VicPark  (15-01-2016)