+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    And what would you all recommend to DF as he is reluctant to do anything at all except quit? (His first reaction is always anger, he needs to build it all up and then get it all out before he can think clearly)
    He isn't keen on going to higher management or the union because he is highly aware that others may look at him like he is trying to cause trouble or something. I feel I would have to drive the whole exercise...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would just go somewhere else tbh. It seems like fighting this horrible boss is going to take a lot of time and energy and I just couldn't be bothered. It seems to me this boss either has it in for your dh or he's just nasty in general. Either way horrible boss will get his karma and dh won't have to put up with him anymore.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to sunnyflower For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Mod-Nomsie View Post
    And what would you all recommend to DF as he is reluctant to do anything at all except quit? (His first reaction is always anger, he needs to build it all up and then get it all out before he can think clearly)
    He isn't keen on going to higher management or the union because he is highly aware that others may look at him like he is trying to cause trouble or something. I feel I would have to drive the whole exercise...
    I've been in HR for a long while, and here are some thoughts I have:

How long has this manager been in his role? If he's negotiating things like extra benefits for himself, he may be ambitious and move on. How long do managers normally stay in their roles at your DF's workplace?

Can DF have a confidential chat with the union just to get some advice? Then he won't be a trouble maker and he can get some ideas about what to do. He doesn't have to go in with all guns blazing and lodge a bullying claim and go out on stress leave. Just a quick chat might help him negotiate the politics of this a little better.

Is your DF the only person there who has an issue with this manager or are there others who have similar issues? If he has the support of a few colleagues, could they have a chat with the union together? That might be a way to approach the union without isolating himself as a "troublemaker". If there are any managers who like him, they may also be able to lend support.

If DF has been there for 15 years, does he have a lot of leave saved up? Would a break help?

In my experience, it does pay to tread carefully when getting the union involved, especially if he hasn't spoken with the manager and tried to resolve the issue directly. Unfair as it is, getting the union involved can be career limiting, at least until the manager moves on. Of course, this depends on the company, and I don't know how this would play out in your DF"s workplace.

Hope you can both work something out - sounds like a very unpleasant situation.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdro For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (14-01-2016),Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Def Union in this situation

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lilypily For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Upper mgmt first.

Tell said boss that all correspondence re rosters, pay, etc must be in writing. If he's gonna be a p. Rick then let him put it writing.

If it still continues then go to the union.

Is there any way DH can be moved to a diff dept under one of the other managers?

9. The Following User Says Thank You to misho For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'd speak to the boss' boss as a first point of call. The boss' boss need feedback on his immediate reports. Who knows, maybe the boss' boss doesn't even like the boss and needs something to substantiate removing him from the role. Management can't fix issues they are not told about.

I had an employee complain to me about their boss who reported to me. Their boss had done a few things for me to keep my eye on him and what his direct report told me and showed me sealed the deal and he was fired (he was a casual so easy to fire).

I haven't worked in a unionised industry so unsure how that works.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Imagine you are the boss and the first you hear of the situation is from the union. It wont go down well

One of the other posts layed down the order very well. Definitely boss before union imo

13. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveTTC For This Useful Post:

Mod-Nomsie  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Quote Originally Posted by Cdro View Post
    I've been in HR for a long while, and here are some thoughts I have:

How long has this manager been in his role? If he's negotiating things like extra benefits for himself, he may be ambitious and move on. How long do managers normally stay in their roles at your DF's workplace?I have seen 3 or 4 in the 10 years I have known DF. We have said he will move on to something better once he finds it.

Can DF have a confidential chat with the union just to get some advice? Then he won't be a trouble maker and he can get some ideas about what to do. He doesn't have to go in with all guns blazing and lodge a bullying claim and go out on stress leave. Just a quick chat might help him negotiate the politics of this a little better. Yes. He is frineds with the union rep.

Is your DF the only person there who has an issue with this manager or are there others who have similar issues? If he has the support of a few colleagues, could they have a chat with the union together? That might be a way to approach the union without isolating himself as a "troublemaker". If there are any managers who like him, they may also be able to lend support. Barely any of the staff have much respect for this manager. They all see how he manages through fear, but it's effective because they all want to keep their heads down and out of trouble.

If DF has been there for 15 years, does he have a lot of leave saved up? Would a break help? A few years ago he was injured (non-work related) and had two years off on injury leave while he awaited the operation to fix the problem. It used up a fair chunk of the leave he had saved up.

In my experience, it does pay to tread carefully when getting the union involved, especially if he hasn't spoken with the manager and tried to resolve the issue directly. Unfair as it is, getting the union involved can be career limiting, at least until the manager moves on. Of course, this depends on the company, and I don't know how this would play out in your DF"s workplace.

Hope you can both work something out - sounds like a very unpleasant situation.
    Thanks for your help.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Quote Originally Posted by misho View Post
    Upper mgmt first.

Tell said boss that all correspondence re rosters, pay, etc must be in writing. If he's gonna be a p. Rick then let him put it writing.

If it still continues then go to the union.

Is there any way DH can be moved to a diff dept under one of the other managers?
    He has enquired about a change with a boss of another section previously, but that got back to his own boss who wasn't happy.
    For all his faults, no one can doubt that df works VERY hard. He can do the job of two men and is tired of never being recognised for his effort.
    The morale in this area of the company is so low it's a wonder anything is accomplished. Why go out of your way for a boss who treats you like crap?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm going to say something here that you probably won't like....but....does your DH have in his contract that he will be given a certain number of shift hours? If not then I'm not sure he really can complain about not getting them (whinge yes but legally complain I'm not sure). Yes he has a wedding to pay but that's not his employers problem or responsibility.