+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default mucus in stool

DS is 3 months old. He is formula fed. He normally poops once a day ever since we started the pro-biotic. He is drooling, sucking fists, thumbs etc. No sign of teething (not that i can see). He has been pooping at/after every feed since last week. 5--6x a day! Poo looks normal, not runny but with a lot of mucus in it. I know that drooling can cause mucus in poo. It doesn't seem normal to me that he has to go this often. It has been pretty disruptive for his night sleep. Well, he is colic so night sleep is never restful for him. I went to GP. As usual, GP didn't do anything special other than listening to his heart and had a touch of his tummy. Does anyone have this problem?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Not quite the same but my ds2 is now almost 7 months and has had lots of mucus in his poo since birth and it was always dark green. Drs were never concerned and I just ignored it as he didn't seem uncomfortable and had no skin issues. When he went for 6 month Vax he hadn't gained much weight and is now on the 3rd percentile. Again gp wasn't bothered but agreed to send a poo sample off which was unremarkable. I did a dairy free trial as he's breastfed and I read this is most common food allergy but after 2 weeks there was no change and he started passing fresh blood with the mucus. Went to diff gp who has referred me to paed. I realised then that I had given him scrambled egg the day before and not cut out eggs myself so have now done so and after 10 days he passed his first normal brown poo yesterday! Very pleased and although still small amount mucus present it shows he prob does have some allergies, almost certainly egg and maybe also dairy.
    I would suggest monitoring closely, take pics to show dr and maybe push for them to consider referral or at least send a faecal sample off to check for bacteria etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes. I was hoping GP would send the sample off. Pretty much useless. Today is day 8 now. Seeing a paed this time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    How is his weight gain? Is he unsettled a lot of the time? What sort of formula have you been using? Sorry for the 50 questions 😊

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My daughter had mucous in her poop... and would also get tummy pains. She was unsettled as a baby a lot. Got a lot of different reasons.
    But we switched to cows milk protein intolerance formulas. (Tried all elecare, pepti junior and neocate)... settled with allerpro.
    Might be worth looking into.
    Hopefully the paed will be able to listen and give you some advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamtam View Post
    My daughter had mucous in her poop... and would also get tummy pains. She was unsettled as a baby a lot. Got a lot of different reasons.
    But we switched to cows milk protein intolerance formulas. (Tried all elecare, pepti junior and neocate)... settled with allerpro.
    Might be worth looking into.
    Hopefully the paed will be able to listen and give you some advice.
    Did you have any problems with baby taking allerpro? I bought some to try and ds won't take it. At first I thought he didn't like the bottle but took expressed milk fine. Have tried mixing small amount with expressed milk and it was still a struggle. Just wondering if he doesn't like taste of formula in general or if allerpro tastes unusual?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nh2489 View Post
    Did you have any problems with baby taking allerpro? I bought some to try and ds won't take it. At first I thought he didn't like the bottle but took expressed milk fine. Have tried mixing small amount with expressed milk and it was still a struggle. Just wondering if he doesn't like taste of formula in general or if allerpro tastes unusual?
    Oh they all taste awful! All the cmpi ones. Allerpro is probably the best of them all.
    My daughter has lots of feeding issues. ..but when we switched to allerpro I did take two weeks of mixing tiny amounts into ebm... and slowly transitioning it over.
    If the intolerance is quite bad allerpro probably won't help though.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

green tea  (15-01-2016),nh2489  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yep, everything TamTam said. Try Allerpro first. You can buy it over the counter. If that doesn't help the paed might prescribe another formula. Allerpro is great but it does still contain lactose so that is pretty much the only major difference between it and pepti jnr.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubintummy For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (15-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @Bubintummy: he is massive. That's because he has reflux and we overfed him. He just wanted to drink all the time. When we found out that babies get confused reflux with hunger, we started to control his feed amount. He is on nan comfort since 2.5w old. Yes, he is unsettled all the time. That's due to his tummy -- colic. After he turns 3 months, he is only unsettled during and after feed. A lot of gas during early morning hour. Someone suggested goat milk formula. We didn't switch because we are about to see the paed. The mucus in stool thing just started to happen last Thurs! And poop too often!

Allepro is very difficult to get, isn't it??

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by bbhope View Post
    @Bubintummy: he is massive. That's because he has reflux and we overfed him. He just wanted to drink all the time. When we found out that babies get confused reflux with hunger, we started to control his feed amount. He is on nan comfort since 2.5w old. Yes, he is unsettled all the time. That's due to his tummy -- colic. After he turns 3 months, he is only unsettled during and after feed. A lot of gas during early morning hour. Someone suggested goat milk formula. We didn't switch because we are about to see the paed. The mucus in stool thing just started to happen last Thurs! And poop too often!

Allepro is very difficult to get, isn't it??
    I wouldn't make any changes then until you see the paed. Mucous can be a normal thing and not always a cause for concern, especially if weight gain etc is good. It sounds like he is more settled now - I remember your thread now from when he was little and he sounded extremely unsettled then. Goats milk protein is very similar to cows milk protein so it isn't usually recommended for kids with cows milk protein allergy, so I wouldn't try goat if you are concerned about an allergy. I don't think Allerpro is too hard to get, especially if your pharmacy knows you are using it they can order it for you. It can be pretty expensive though!

If you have a paed appointment coming up I would wait to see what they say 😊