+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sunnygirl79 View Post
    I ended up just combining ideas from various templates/online. I don't consider it finished as such, it's a huge long list and I think a majority of the stuff they do as standard so it's over and above what's required. They did take copies at my last appt and at my preadmission appt so not sure I can be bothered summarising it further now 😂. Maybe if I get time waiting for this bub to come.

I call it birth preferences rather than plan. I have no idea what the day will bring and I want to be as flexible as possible, but i know what didn't work for me last time so my main concern is not repeating those things.

Bizarre thing - during our calmbirth class (4 + yrs ago now) we practised sitting straddled backward on a (dining room type) chair. When I was in labor this was my only comfortable position during a contraction - nothing else worked (and I tried everything - beanbags, birth balls, birth stools, tilted beds etc etc). And when I got to the hospital do you think they had a chair that I could straddle?? Any fricking chair without arms? No! And at this new hospital I asked the question and the midwife couldn't find a single one in the birth suite. Wtf?! Surely I am not the only woman that wanted to straddle a chair. I know it may be completely different this time in terms of what position I find comfortable but I told DH he's packing the dining room chair on our car if that's the case again! 😂
    Packing the dining room chair, this made me laugh out loud! You got to do what works! Good luck!

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Olive Oil For This Useful Post:

sunnygirl79  (25-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Would a stool and leaning on the bed work?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by turquoisecoast View Post
    re the chair thing. we practiced sitting in chairs in that exact position with a pillow over the back of it as the chairs were hard and wooden. it seemed like a fantastic position for labour.

that's soooo odd they had no suitable chairs for this position at your last birth!! definitely pack a chair from home just in case for this time 😂
    I know, like wtaf?! Surely there's something in the tearoom or somewhere they can get one from! The midwife at my appt was like 'oh yeah we should have something like that', and proceeded to look for one, show me the birth stool (um no, not even close!). They had a few stools on wheels for the staff but she was like, oh no we couldn't use something with wheels' 😂😂. Hopefully it's different this time and I will be comfy on all fours or something but it is definitely in the back of my mind. Can just imagine hubby rushing me into hospital carrying a dining room chair lol 😂😂

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Would a stool and leaning on the bed work?
    They didn't even have any stools. The birth stools are only 40cm or so off the ground. We tried this with the birth ball in my last labor but it wasn't stable enough, it's hard to describe but I needed to be seated at a certain angle too. Trying to balance on something unstable isn't an option during intense contractions! I think the chairs work so well because you can lean up against the headrest and move your legs to whatever angle is comfortable and get the weight off your legs (my last labor was over 20 hrs so legs eventually struggled to hold me up).

I wouldn't worry so much if it hadn't been my optimal position last time. I truly think your body tells you what position it wants to be in during labor. Of course might be completely different this time!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    OMG 😂😂

eff it, take a dining room chair. if it's what you find comfortable and will help you then do it.

I don't think I'd like to be on all fours, just seems uncomfortable but then who knows what will be comfortable during labour really.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Just bring the chair lol. Who cares what people think. You are the one labouring. Come to think of it I am 99% sure that my hospital does not have suitable chairs for that either.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by twinklify View Post
    Just bring the chair lol. Who cares what people think. You are the one labouring. Come to think of it I am 99% sure that my hospital does not have suitable chairs for that either.
    agreed.

I'm going to check next Wednesday at my next appointment. although I'm sure they'll say something like oh yeah, I'm sure we have chairs like that around somewhere. then at crunch time nobody will be able to find one to save their lives. I might suggest to dh we pack one of our dining chairs too. they're actually outdoor chairs so if they get bodily fluids on them we can just hose them down 😂