+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default downstairs sleeping solutions for baby

sorry, not too sure where this should go so popping it here.

we live in a double storey home. bubs is due next month and we have a bassinet for him to sleep in which will be in our room for the first few months. bassinet is on wheels so can be moved around upstairs but it's a tad heavy/clunky to be wheeling up and down the stairs.

I'm basically after some kind of solution for when we are downstairs for bub to sleep. hoping to avoid buying a second bassinet for obvious reasons. I was thinking a portacot as it would be ideal to kill 2 birds with 1 stone and have a travel sleeping solution ready to go too.

my only hesitation is, are portacot a safe for such frequent use? the parachute type fabric a lot of them seem to use seems not that breathable so I'm a bit worried about ventilation?

ideally I was thinking we get a portacot for bubs to use when he's downstairs with us, then we take him upstairs at night to sleep in his bassinet when we go to bed. I'm not even sure if what I'm thinking/proposing is suitable as I'm sure babies have their own ideas about where and when they'll sleep 😂

just wanting to hear from others who have 2 storey homes and what the best solution might be?

it also gets quite warm upstairs and being summer, I'm hoping to not have to worry about the room temp constantly (eg I got home last night and the temp in our room was 34C!!). it's a lot cooler downstairs.

thanks ladies xx
    Last edited by turquoisecoast; 14-01-2016 at 07:28.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We had a swing downstairs for bub, she outgrew it at about 5 months, which is about the same time she needed silence to sleep so naps are now upstairs in the cot.

The swing often helped her to get to sleep too.

This is the one we have but there are a few others out there. The 'my little lamb' one seems quite popular.

http://www.bubs.com.au/_products/Toy...58-81011-.aspx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

turquoisecoast  (14-01-2016)

rachella is offline My little man born 15th July 2010
    Thanks
    Reviews

We have a double story house and we used a portacot for day naps downstairs. I had a toddler too so it was easier to check on baby without having to go all the way upstairs.

I wouldn't worry about the safety. They are perfectly fine, and it's only for short naps during the day. The portacots now come with a baby insert too. Hope that helps!
    Last edited by rachella; 14-01-2016 at 07:37.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to rachella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    When my DS was a baby we lived in a 2 storey home - we used a rocker for his naps downstairs.

This particular one (Steelcraft Serenity) and we didn't bother using the toy attachment:

serenity-rocker-main.jpg

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Degrassi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    I use a portacot in my room for Bub at the moment and then she will go into her own room in the cot when she is a little bigger. I have no issue with the portacot as a semi-permanent option and did this for my previous two children when they were young (it actually gets them used to it so there are no issues when we travel) it is a chicco and has the bassinet feature, and the mesh sides mean that I can see her when I'm lying down in bed. We have a two story home so I hired a hospital bassinet for the first two months. She slept downstairs in that and as I had a c-section, it also meant less carrying if I went from room to room.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Zander15 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (14-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Zander15 View Post
    I use a portacot in my room for Bub at the moment and then she will go into her own room in the cot when she is a little bigger. I have no issue with the portacot as a semi-permanent option and did this for my previous two children when they were young (it actually gets them used to it so there are no issues when we travel) it is a chicco and has the bassinet feature, and the mesh sides mean that I can see her when I'm lying down in bed. We have a two story home so I hired a hospital bassinet for the first two months. She slept downstairs in that and as I had a c-section, it also meant less carrying if I went from room to room.
    We use the portacot in our room too with bassinet insert. It's great. I bought a padded matress type thing designed for the portacot from My Baby Warehouse so it's not so hard.
    Our portacot has breathable mesh sides too so no chance of suffication or anything. i can see through so it makes checking on bub at night a whole lot easier. He outgrew his bassinet pretty fast so we needed a solution until he goes into his cot in his room when i return to work next month.
    For downstairs he sleeps on the couch. We have a big square part to our lounge which is perfect. However he's started rolling recently so I'm transitioning day naps to his cot upstairs. Not right now though, we are having a heat wave and upstairs gets really hot
    Last edited by meandmyboys82; 14-01-2016 at 09:27.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

nh2489  (14-01-2016),turquoisecoast  (14-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used a portacot downstairs for the first few months for day sleeps and then in our room after ds outgrew the bassinet for night sleeps until 7 months. They have bassinet levels.

I'm due in 3 weeks and with the toddler I'm unsure this time I don't want him throwing his toys in on top of bub so may just have to leave bub upstairs for sleeps and use the monitor.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to sjk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    We used our pram for day sleeps until he was 8 weeks or so. The bassinet attachment. We just wheeled the pram into the living area with us downstairs and he slept in that. Made it easy going on walks too? Just wheeled him right out of the house, no need to get the pram out of the car etc. Then at about 8 weeks we moved him upstairs for his day sleeps too, with the monitor.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Lozby For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Maybe a Moses basket? I used one until DD was 13 weeks then she moved into her cot. I got mine for $40 on sale at big w.
    If using a portacot just don't be tempted to use a blanket underneath or anything to make it softer as that's a sids risk.
    Otherwise upstairs in her bassinet with baby monitor? I had to have DD in her room for day naps from about 8 weeks as being in the lounge with bright light and noise was way too overstimulating for her and she couldn't sleep like that.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to gingermillie For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

I used my pram with the bassinet attachment for downstairs sleeps for the first 8 weeks.

Then transferred to the cot.

I slept on the lounge because it was so hot for the first 2 weeks.

We have a city select.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Wissa For This Useful Post: