+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Best suburb? Moving to Brisbane

Hi,
    DH has just accepted a new job in Woollangabba & we have 2-3 weeks to prepare for the big move from WA.
    Any suggestions on best suburbs to live? We will need to consider schooling for our 4 & 6yo too.
    Appreciate any tips!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    What sort of price range are you looking at? That will give some guide as to where to suggest

Thanks
    Reviews
    How far from his work did you want to live? My first thought is living on the east side but depending on price would depend on the suggestions!

Thanks
    Reviews

Woolloongabba itself is not an overly family type neighbourhood (I used to live there). Some suggestions:
    - Riverside suburbs: Hawthorne and Bulimba if you have a very good budget. It's quite exclusive.
    - Eastern suburbs: Cooparoo, Camp Hill, Morningside Carina Heights, etc., are quite good too.
    - Southern suburbs: Mt Gravatt, Holland Park, Salisbury, Tarragindi, Moorooka, etc. These are generally good although there are some no so great little pockets so it would depend on the actual street.

I can't help with the schools sorry.

South Brisbane, West End, etc isn't very family friendly.

I'd avoid living on the Northside as commuting would be a pain.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to babyno1onboard For This Useful Post:

Seachelle  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you, I will look into those suburbs mentioned.

We will rent initially & buy later. I haven't looked into the prices yet.

We want to avoid living in inner city suburbs and hoping to be within a reasonable commuting distance/route but not too far.

What would the commute be like from the northern or bay side?

Appreciate any further suggestions.
    Last edited by Seachelle; 14-01-2016 at 08:53.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are at Rochedale /Rochedale South and it's a great commute to the city. The public schools around the area have a really good reputation and there are plenty of different private schools to choose from as well. It takes me 20 min usually to get to the Gabba turn off in peak hour (I work over the other side of the city). Even with an incident this morning that caused major traffic it only took me 40 min

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Beljane For This Useful Post:

Seachelle  (14-02-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Last edited by mummymaybe; 21-05-2016 at 14:45.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Seachelle View Post
    What would the commute be like from the northern or bay side?
    Depending on where you live, the traffic can be very congested in peak hour. The commute from the Northside is better now due to the tunnel, however you need to pay a toll everyday so it can get expensive.

If you didn't use the tunnel and went say the storey bridge or freeway expect delays in and around fortitude valley and the city.

Bayside suburbs can be nice, but are a long way out.

Others on here would disagree, but I would caution against going too far south ie stay away from most suburbs in Logan.

I pretty much agree with everything babyno1onboard has said in her post, except I personally wouldn't really recommend Salisbury or Moorooka.
    Last edited by SSecret Squirrel; 14-01-2016 at 09:10.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Commute from the bayside would be around 20-30mins, possibly longer in peak hour. If you want a better idea have a look at possible suburbs and then use google maps to plot the commute to Woolloongabba at the time of day your hubby will be going to work. Will give you travel times dependent on the traffic. Can be useful when trying to work it out.

All the suburbs mentioned above are lovely. If you want to go further east you can always look at Tingalpa, Wakerley, Belmont, Wynnum/Wynnnum West, Wellington Point. Closer to the water and some nice houses. The Wynnum waterfront is a lovely place to go with kids. It's a lovely walk along the water and there's a pool/playground. Might be something to keep in mind

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SSecret Squirrel View Post
    Others on here would disagree, but I would caution against going too far south ie stay away from most suburbs in Logan.
    Really? Not all of logan is bad thankyou very much. I find that quite offensive as i live in logan, on the outskirts but still logan. And no I'm not some "bogan from logan" 😛. This may be due to being a little hormonal and over sensitive right now, but that just really offended me.

Just fyi we live near the motorway which makes getting into the city quite accessible and depending on the amount of peak hour traffic we can get in there well within an hour. Suburbs near us but close to the motorway include parkinson, drewvale, calamvale and stretton and they are all very nice, these are classed as south brisbane though. If you can get into somewhere in stretton, stretton college is a great school, but you need to live in the catchment.

I'm so sick of the southside/logan stereotypes. 😑
    Again --- very hormonal and oversensitive right now!! 😎

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meandmyboys82 For This Useful Post:

bezzy  (14-01-2016),Mama Mirabelle  (14-01-2016)