+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default SA Hospitals

Hi all,

Calvary North Adelaide and Burnside War Memorial are both members first hospitals with our PHI.

I don't have any experience with either hospital. Does anyone have any advice/experience/tips with choosing a hospital?

i didn't think I'd need to choose so soon, but in order for my GP to refer me to an OB I need to choose a hospital I'd prefer.

Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts

Default SA Hospitals

Dr Jeffrey Hillen is an OB from Calvery, he's never delivered any of my children but he was my gyno for a long time. I can highly recommend him.

I should add, I've had surgery in Calvery, it's not the nicest hospital if you're comparing it to the likes of Ashford but I couldn't fault it in any way and the staff were fantastic.
    Last edited by BabyG4; 31-03-2016 at 11:27.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I used Jeff Hillen, he was incredible and will use him again

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had my first at Burnside with Karen Chandler as my OB. I was very happy with everything, I got great help with breastfeeding and good advice for all my other 100's of questions. The room was a good size. On my last night there hubby and I were exhausted and I ended up putting bub in the nursery for a few hours at night so that we could get some rest before we left for home. I was very anxious about doing this but the midwives were so nice and listened to me when I asked them to wake me up as soon as she needed a feed etc. that I felt comfortable enough (or maybe tired enough!) to do it.

I don't have any experience with Calvary, but it sounds like either way you can't go wrong. Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We loved Hotel Calvary in every way. Midwives were great. Great resident paed. Felt like we we're in great hands! Privacy was optimal. Feel free to PM me x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WinterJade View Post
    We loved Hotel Calvary in every way. Midwives were great. Great resident paed. Felt like we we're in great hands! Privacy was optimal. Feel free to PM me x
    Hotel Calvary? Lol
    How long ago did you birth there? Can I ask what you thought of the facilities?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SummerFun View Post
    Hotel Calvary? Lol
    How long ago did you birth there? Can I ask what you thought of the facilities?
    In 2014. Its definitely not brand new (it's really old - the building - in a pretty way) but the birthing suite was brand new. The room was big. They have a baby intensive care section which a lot of of hospitals don't. They can care for premmies. They had a good antenatal program. The food was like your grandmas cooking which DH loved, I didn't not so much but I'm super fussy. He remembers it to be amazing. 3 courses every night. We stayed an extra day just cause we wanted to. We have great memories. Probably the best thing was the care. The midwives spent hours with us helping me learn to feed. There was always someone to help. There was a high midwife to baby ratio and we got lots of help so probably that was the highlight rather than the facilities. Burnside looks great too. Whatever's closer. Calvary is too far from where we live now. And I am going public this time. My labour was short and sweet and I want to be home with my son ASAP after birth. Just want a safe delivery and to get home. Not sure where we are Eastern.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to WinterJade For This Useful Post:

Lil Smurfy  (31-03-2016)