+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts

Default Hobart and surrounds

We are taking a family holiday to Hobart over Easter. I'm looking for some places to visit that are within a 1-2 hour drive. We've been to Hobart before and the main purpose of the trip is to go to MONA as I missed out last time due to DS being ill. We've already been to Richmond and Port Arthur. Am interested in history- both European and indigenous and also a bit of nature, but we're not into camping or super outdoorsy stuff like long hikes or canoeing and the like. We'll be there almost a week, so I'm looking for a few places to either day trip to or stay overnight. Thanks!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    There used to be a maritime museum in battery point and there is also a national trust property. How about Maria Island for a day? Take a picnic and just chill. A nice drive down the Huon or up mount Wellington. Oatlands/Ross are nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My mum is in cygnet (45 mins south of Hobart) and it's a beautiful little town to visit. It's in the Huon Valley and there are a few lovely wineries you can visit. Whenever we visit her we always stay at Blueberry Bay Cottage, it is magnificent!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1452601911.570426.jpg

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1452601937.004738.jpg

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    And one more!

ImageUploadedByThe Bub Hub1452601969.290385.jpg

It's on it's own little private 'beach'!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Snug Falls is a nice walk, only about 2km so not too strenuous.

For a shorter outing close to the city, Nutgrove beach and park and playground are pretty nice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by FearlessLeader View Post
    We are taking a family holiday to Hobart over Easter. I'm looking for some places to visit that are within a 1-2 hour drive. We've been to Hobart before and the main purpose of the trip is to go to MONA as I missed out last time due to DS being ill. We've already been to Richmond and Port Arthur. Am interested in history- both European and indigenous and also a bit of nature, but we're not into camping or super outdoorsy stuff like long hikes or canoeing and the like. We'll be there almost a week, so I'm looking for a few places to either day trip to or stay overnight. Thanks!
    I'm bit biased but think you can see the whole of tas in a week 😂 my Aunty does wine tours if you want me to PM you. I have just moved to Launceston so the other side.

I went to the mona the other week and saw a exhibition on vaginas 😉 hahaha!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have you thought about Port Arthur? That's full of history!

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Oh I'm glad this has been revived, I was just thinking on the weekend that I should start looking seriously at where we will go
    Thanks for the suggestions so far!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    If you haven't been, definitely check out the Huon Valley, it's lovely (and not just because I'm here )!

There is Willie Smiths 'The Apple Shed', where you can get amazing organic apple cider, and they do have cherry cider as well (https://www.facebook.com/theappleshedtas/). They have locally sourced/produced food, you can sit inside or out, and they usually have live music on Friday nights and Sunday afternoons.

Cygnet is gorgeous with many a glorious cafe, in Ranelagh there is the Ranelagh General Store who do amazing hipsteresque food and the yummy organic Summer Kitchen Bakery with pasteries to die for. There are various local markets around on Saturdays and Sundays. It's a pity you wouldn't be here for the 13th/14th of March when the Taste of the Huon is on, so much good food (and even better wine)!

But, as for other things, there is the Female Factory at Cascades (South Hobart): https://cascadefemalefactory.wordpress.com/

The Penitentiary Chapel in the city: http://www.penitentiarychapel.com/

Salmon Ponds if you want to feed fish and eat amazing pancakes (Derwent Valle: http://www.salmonponds.com.au/

I'm sure there's more, I'll add them if I think of them!

Thanks
    Reviews
    We visited Hobart late last year for a week ... a stand out was The Bonorong Wildlife Sanctuary. About half an hour drive from Hobart. My little ones still talk about it! Also second Huon Valley so beautiful .. The Apple Shed fantastic cider!