+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Week ended 24/7/2014100 Posts in a week

Default A question for primary teachers.

I am trying my best to be organised this year and part of my organisation project is to keep in close contact with the kids teachers.

DS1 is in grade 5 this year and has had his teacher also for prep and grade 3. He was diagnosed with ADD (no H) in grade 4 and is now on Ritalin which is helping heaps. While he doesn't go to learning support, he is closely monitored by them.

DS2 is in grade 3 this year and has had his teacher for grade 1 also. I have him booked in to see a paed but not until April. I believe there is something "wrong" but am hesitant to put a label on it at this stage. He receives learning support through the school for reading and writing.

DD is in grade 1 this year and has DS2s grade 2 teacher! DD has no learning issues and is very keen to learn and soak it all in.

As all teachers have taught my children in the past, I was going to email each teacher individually and just let them know where they are at, how their holidays were and just a run down on any concerns I have. I would also CC in the head of learning support for both boys as I am in regular contact with her as well.

Would you, as a teacher, welcome such correspondence before term begins or not? I always feel for teachers in the first couple of weeks of the school year when us parents bombard then morning and afternoon with questions etc so wanted to bypass that if possible. I wouldn't expect a response unless the teacher felt it was warranted.

I was going to send the emails either this week or next with school starting back on the 27th.

Any feedback or advice is appreciated, thanks in advance.

PS - Not sure if this makes a difference but we are in QLD and are at a Cath Ed school.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to HearMeRoar For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm a teacher in QLD
    I welcome parents keeping me in the loop. Especially on email. I always find emails quick and effective to stay in touch.
    I also love when parents email any pertinent information at the beginning of the year too.
    I like it. But that's me.
    I always think it's a partnership with parents so I think it can be really positive if a parent takes that step.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Mod-Nomsie is offline Administrator
    Winner 2009/10/11/12/13 - Most helpful Moderator
    Winner 2011 - Naughtiest/Cheekiest Mod
    Winner - Quickest 'Thanker' on the Hub
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 15/1/15
    Any heads up you could give, whether you think the teacher already knows it, is a bonus. It's good to have everything confirmed or re-confirmed in writing.

So, obviously I think it's a great idea!

I wish more parents were proactive like you!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Nomsie For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awesome idea! I wish I knew if DS1's teacher hand an email address.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to amyd For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by amyd View Post
    Awesome idea! I wish I knew if DS1's teacher hand an email address.
    In my previous schools my email was in an introductory letter that was sent to parents a week or so before school started.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Tamtam For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I would have loved that sort of communication with parents prior to, and through out term. It's been a long time since I've taught, but it's always helpful to get background info to know where the kids are at.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tiny Dancer For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's a great idea, but to be completely honest I wouldn't even check my work email until at least the first scheduled PFD (which for us is a week before the kids start here so next Wed). So don't be disheartened if you don't hear back until closer to school begins.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Theboys&me For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts

Default A question for primary teachers.

To be honest, I rarely check my school email during summer holidays. Yesterday was the first time I checked it since before Christmas.

Also, the teachers are in holiday mode, I don't know how much they would take in. I'd make an appointment to see them once school starts.

ETA - I don't know about other schools but in my experience, not many public schools in nsw will tell you who the teacher is until the beginning of the year. Due to numbers, many public schools remain in their previous year's classes for the first couple of weeks until numbers are finalised.
    Last edited by BigRedV; 13-01-2016 at 07:29.

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016),sparklebug  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would love that sort of communication. My school doesn't allow for teachers to directly email parents (or parents to directly email teachers) so any communication would be sent through the office email with attn........ to be forwarded on to the teacher/parent.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to LaDiDah For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would prefer to make an appointment via the receptionist for the teachers you wish to have involved and the principal. It isn't only the teachers who need to be kept in the loop, the principal does too.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Blessedwith3boys For This Useful Post:

HearMeRoar  (13-01-2016)