+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Back to work - 6 month old unpredictable sleeping

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone has been in a similar situation and would like to share their experience with me.

I have a 5.5 month old beautiful boy (he is amazing!!!) and am going back to work (2 days a week) on the 1st of Feb, when he'll be 6 months. His sleeping has always been up & down and he had a really bad 4 month sleep regression. Things started to improve and then we went away and it got worse again (10+ wakeups a night at erratic intervals). Just the past four nights we have managed to get him down to one wakeup which is HEAVEN!!! However, I don't count on it lasting!

I am not after sleep advice - I swear I've read everything!! We have worked hard and persisted with all the strategies that work for him and us. What I am after is someone to tell me it's possible to function at work on broken sleep!!!

Did you go back to work before your baby was sleeping through (or even sleeping well)? Any tips???

In an ideal world he will keep sleeping well for me but I need to be mentally prepared if he doesn't. I should mention that I have worked hard on his naps to get them to 1.5-2 hrs long, but I'm also half expecting him to go back to catnapping when I'm gone. But we'll see!!

Thanks in advance

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 17/10/14100 Posts in a week

Hi I have no real tips except to say I returned to work when my 4th was 6 months old and not sleeping. It was tough but you adjust. She's 2 and still doesn't sleep well. Some days are harder than others.

I survive on coffee and the fact I enjoy my job (well most days).

And I go to bed very early.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Sonja For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My 18 month old has never slept through, and I went back 2 days/week at 7 months (up to 4 days/week now).
    It depends on what your job is really, as to how well you cope with a less than ideal amount of sleep. I find doing any routine, repetitive or physical tasks easy while tired, but have struggled at times with the really intellectual stuff. Luckily I have a lot of flexibility in what I do each day so can match my tasks to how much brain power I have that day.

Coffee helps As does going for a walk outside to stretch your legs and get some sunlight.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi Fi, my dd1 is 8, dd2 is 3 and ds1 is 8mo, none of my kids slept through the night until 18months. My dd2 still wakes and needs attention (yells out) at least once a night and ds1 is waking 3x atm. It is possible, although not ideal. I'm running into year 9 of sleep deprivation and am just managing! Good luck!

Oh and I went back full time each time.... 😩

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work 10wks then 7mths after dd1&dd2 were born. Some nights I was up 2-7 times a night.

You manage. Going to bed early, bedsharing and naps on weekends were my management strategies. Exercising also helped with the fatigue.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rose&Aurelia&Hannah For This Useful Post:

KitiK  (12-01-2016),Little Miss Sunshine  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am working 3 days a week, my 15 month old wakes multiple times a night, my 4yo wakes me usually at least once, and the 6yo is usually up for the day at 5:30am. My job takes a lot of concentration. I don't know how, but I seem to manage. Perhaps I'm not as sharp as I was pre-kids, but the life experience that having kids gives me is invaluable in my job, so maybe it evens it out a bit.
    I agree with PP's, coffee, early bedtimes and naps whenever you can are the answer.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LittleBug'sMum For This Useful Post:

Little Miss Sunshine  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

My first day back at work after 14 months off (dd1 had just turned 1) I had literally 1 hour sleep, no exaggeration. She was never the best sleeper but it had been her worst night in a long long time.
    The next night was not much better I maybe got 2-3 hours of broken sleep. Lucky for me I'm only part time so 5 days a fortnight. She's 3 now but still I don't sleep all night, never have.

So you're not the only one! I think the adrenaline and nerves of going back to work helped push me through it. Lots of caffeine.

I was open with my colleagues and they were all fantastic about it, not that I wanted or needed a helping hand, I was scared of being seen as a liability since becoming a mother.

But I continue to survive and function on little sleep. I feel like crap some days but you push on through and grind through the days. Many mothers do it. You will survive, it just becomes the new normal
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-01-2016 at 11:21.

Thanks
    Reviews

I'd just like to add I found it easier being at work than being at home with a little one on little or no sleep.

There were adults to talk/vent to, work to keep me busy and distracted, coffee and meal breaks for peace and quiet, and not having my temper or patience tested with a baby.
    Last edited by Little Miss Sunshine; 12-01-2016 at 13:38.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Little Miss Sunshine For This Useful Post:

CakeyMumma  (13-01-2016),Leettieb  (12-01-2016),lilypily  (12-01-2016),Rose&Aurelia&Hannah  (12-01-2016),rosey82  (12-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I returned to work 2 days a week when DD was 6 months.
    As pp's have said, you manage. Nap during the day when you're not at work. If you have a rough week, take it easy on your home days.
    DH and I also take shifts on the really bad nights: I deal with wake ups till 3am, he deals with any after that. This strategy got us through a few tough nights!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm often on 4hrs of broken sleep before a 12hr day shift. I have two girls 4yo and 2yo. The 2yo is still often up 5 times a night.

Just make sure you take sleep where you can. I do shift work and when I'm on nights it's AMAZING as I get to sleep all day and not get up to anyone!! That's what keeps me sane. That and sugar. 😜