Closed Thread
Page 62 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,
    I've just spent the last 2 days following and reading this thread! Big congratulations to all who have had success.
    This is my first time looking into egg donation. I did 6 ICSI cycles before being blessed with my DD, who is now 3. Then tried 8 more hoping for some more luck. A few of those cycles were cancelled or had nothing to transfer and the rest were 3 day transfers with none to freeze.

So far we have chosen to go with Cape Fertility, and have chosen a donor through Sunshine. We have yet to sign the paperwork or pay the agency fee but nearly there.
    I am aiming to be over there early July so hoping there might be others going at a similar time!
    I wish I'd found this as we were going through the donor selection process! It was so difficult, I find it more so trying to factor in a sibling. Not knowing who I should try and find similarities to- me or DD.
    In the end I chose a proven donor who had similar traits to me. Fingers crossed!

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HB13 For This Useful Post:

Aquinos77  (20-04-2016),emski72  (03-04-2016),ferngirl  (05-04-2016),JulieMalooley  (03-04-2016),MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (03-04-2016),Offshorechick  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You deserve our support not criticism. I'm a big fan of your doctor, he's helped us heaps too. He's definitely trying to find ways to facilitate the ED process for us all.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KerryS For This Useful Post:

MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reply above was for Maxswellsmum.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KerryS For This Useful Post:

MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016),midnite01  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, congratulations to all who have had succes on their donor egg journey !

Just a question for those ladies who have had their little miracles, what was required on the birth certificate being your egg donors are anonymous. I believe there is an anecdotyl mention on the birth certificate of a donor being involved so that child can research further once they turn 18, but that is for donors within Australia that are not anonymous..... What happens in the case of donors from overseas who wish to remain anonymous. Is this anecdotyl disclosure still required? Child will not have access to any information. Just curious how you have handled this? TIA .x

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooz07 For This Useful Post:

Rhino  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooz07 View Post
    Hi ladies, congratulations to all who have had succes on their donor egg journey !

Just a question for those ladies who have had their little miracles, what was required on the birth certificate being your egg donors are anonymous. I believe there is an anecdotyl mention on the birth certificate of a donor being involved so that child can research further once they turn 18, but that is for donors within Australia that are not anonymous..... What happens in the case of donors from overseas who wish to remain anonymous. Is this anecdotyl disclosure still required? Child will not have access to any information. Just curious how you have handled this? TIA .x
    In Victoria, there is a spot on the application form to put the fact that a donor was used and the clinic details. I was also then asked for a letter from the clinic to validate the details. I had no problems getting this from CFC. I can't remember the exact details that had to be in it but could look back if you wanted me to.

There is no mention on the birth certificate itself, that it was a donor conception.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (03-04-2016),Sooz07  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babywish313 View Post
    KMP
    ALL SOUTH AFRICAN DONORS ARE ALTRUISTIC- they are not forced to donate against their will.
    BUT THEY ARE PAID VIA AN AGENCY- which is illegal.

As I am in the middle of going through profiles from all the agencies and in contact with Cyndi and Dr Wiswedel. I have been re-reading all the documents from the clinic and the agencies and nowhere in their paperwork does it state that agencies pay the donors, it is the clinic that pays the donors for what they do.

This is straight off my schedule of fees from CFC

Donor fee is for the compensation paid to the egg donor. Payment of donors is
    regulated in South Africa by the National Health Act and may only be paid to the donor via the accredited fertility clinic. The donor receives an amount of R7000 from CFC on the day of her egg retrieval. The clinic pays R980 in VAT on this amount plus bank charges of R100.

Also there guidelines are also very strict on this -

2008 GUIDELINES FOR GAMETE DONATION
    Published in (will submit to a local journal for publication once ready)
    The Policy Committee of the South African Society of Reproductive Science and
    Surgery.

Payment of oocyte donors
    Monetary compensation of the donor should reflect the time, inconvenience, financial costs to the donor – eg. travel, loss of income and childcare costs, physical and emotional demands and risks associated with oocyte donation and should be at a level that minimizes the possibility of undue inducement of donors and the suggestion that payment is for the oocytes themselves.
    The monetary compensation should not be predicted on the clinical outcome (no of oocytes or pregnancy outcome) but rather on fair compensation for the procedure of donating eggs.
    At the time of writing this guideline, it is the society’s opinion that monetary
    compensation for an oocyte donor should not exceed 5000 rand. Compensation amounts in excess of 10 000 rand should only be paid in exceptional circumstances.
    Donors should only receive financial compensation via fertility clinics and not receive any compensation directly from the recipients or other third parties.

AMENDMENT TO GAMETE DONATION GUIDELINES OF 2008

EGG DONOR COMPENSATION from the SASREG website.

Following a SASREG Committee meeting on the 22 November 2014, it was recommended that the SASREG Gamete Donation Guidelines of 2008 be updated to the following:
    Egg donors should not be compensated more than R7000.00 per procedure
    from the 1 January 2015.
    The previous guideline from 2008 stated that the egg donor should not be compensated more than R 5000.00.

This is also from SASREG
    1. Financial transactions:
      1. No financial transaction can occur between the egg donor and the agency. Only the fertility clinic can reimburse the donor.
      2. No financial transaction is allowed between a fertility clinic and an agency: referral fees or kickbacks are not allowed.
      3. An egg donation agency can charge the recipient couple an administrative fee for matching of the egg donor.

I don't know which agency you used but if they paid the donor then they should be reported, the rules are what they are.

Australia is very far off legal with the experiences my friends have had. The most one was asked for as payment for eggs was $18,000 on top of all medical expenses covered, not to mention all the other things demanded. She was given the flick.

Australian Legislation for egg, sperm and embryo donation

It is illegal in Australia to sell sperm or eggs (or any human tissue). Unfortunately, couples desperate for a child have been known to fall victim to unscrupulous people offering to sell eggs. While it is considered normal for recipients to cover their donor's expenses, if anyone you approach to be a donor asks for payment beyond expenses, they should be avoided.

Really I don't think they get reimbursed enough for what they go through in South Africa but with it being regulated it's not about the money. Unlike here in Australia, egg donors doing it for the right reasons in my friends experience are few and far between.

In support of the above I have gone through my notes from researching DE in SA last year.

Based on the prevailing exchange rates my donor compensation amounted to $840 AUD (approx)

Assuming
    1.Appointments/visits = 6 (Agency Screening, Clinic pathology and psych screening, collection of meds and baseline scan, 2 x in cycle scans and EPU)
    2. Transport costs for each visit (taxi, uber, public, petrol or some combination) @ $25
    3. Time off work (1/2 day for each initial appointment (trip there and back plus actual appointment) then one day for EPU and one day for recovery post EPU) equals 3.5 days off work

Compensation $840
    less transport costs (6x25) $150
    Equals $690

After allowing for transport costs you are left with around $690 to compensate the donor for: missing over half a week of work, the physical and emotional demands of a cycle and any other outlays that they may have incurred to undergo a cycle. This amount in my opinion (and I feel in most peoples' eyes) is very modest and would fall under the definition of compensation, rather than profiteering.

In contrast an unproven egg donor in the USA generally commands a fee of around $5,000 US with a proven, desirable donor often commanding a fee of $10,000 US.

This is the model that I would be more concerned about when considering the QLD laws. The SA model closely fits with Aus requirements of altruistic donation with compensation for costs/lost income etc, the US model is more commercial in nature and is at odds with the Aus requirements.

The bottom line is that I am comfortable with my actions in accessing an egg donor under the South African model as I do not believe that any laws, either here nor there were broken by my husband and I.

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

babywish313  (03-04-2016),FMJ  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (03-04-2016),Offshorechick  (11-04-2016),princessrory  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooz07 View Post

I didn't see anything like that on the SA birth certificate application.

Thanks
    Reviews
    its only required on the victorian birth certificate

15. The Following User Says Thank You to arall For This Useful Post:

Miss Sagi  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Good luck ladies with you transfers here, I hope it is smooth sailing for you all.

KMP you do this regularly, you get on your soap box about other peoples choices. E.g. Transferring 2 eggs and having twins even though some only resulted in a single birth. Now its 'to keep people properly informed of the law is not being insensitive'. Everyone will have done whatever research they are comfortable with, all the information you want can be found on the web and nothing stops you asking the agencies and clinic. Most people will investigate the ins and out, but if other people don't that's their prerogative as well. It's not up to you to tell everyone what they should know or do.

From 2010 I investigated clinics from Mexico, Czech Republic, Prague and Greece and anywhere else I could find that would have me for a donation, some wouldn't because I'm single. I then found the bubhub thread which gave me South Africa in 2012. Just like all the other clinics I read and re-read all the information I could get on CFC, Vitalab and Groote and all the different agencies, I settled on CFC with help from this very thread and other threads around the world. Settling on an agency is a totally different ball game.

As for the traveling there are agencies (Newlife, traveling donors) that do this in SA, from what I can find the clinis don't work with these agencies as they are not signed up to SASREG. SASREG don't want donors traveling mainly because of the lack of care they receive, donors that have gone to India and other places have been over stimulated and then left in a really bad way.

As for the known and traveling part - SASREG is pretty self explanatory

Traveling donors:

The agencies should not canvas donors who wish to travel nor facilitate the travelling of donors outside the Republic of South Africa.
    Donors are allowed to travel within the borders of South Africa in between different cities under the following conditions:
    The continuity of medical care is ensured. After the donation the donor needs to have easy access to a SASREG accredited clinic in case a complication occurs.
    Extra travelling costs can be charged to the recipient, however these cost must completely transparent to the recipient.

Anonymity of egg donation

According to South African law, all donations which take place, unless qualified as a ‘known donation’ are to be anonymous and confidential. It is therefore contrary to the law to reveal the identity of an anonymous donor. The use of adult pictures can lead to the identity of an egg donor being compromised. Thus, the consensus is that only pictures of the donor under the age of 10 years are provided to recipients. The donor’s full profile is also available, including medical information, family background, detailed educational, behavioral and physical information. This information will assist recipients with selecting an egg donor. The egg donor’s responsibility ends on the day of egg retrieval; there is no registry and no means to contact the egg donor later in life.

Going by the above it doesn't appear they are wrong.

What should be more of a problem is donors finishing their donation (6) having a year or two off and then signing themselves up to another agency and that agency doesn't know about previous donations as they rely on donors to be truthful. This I know as I found a donor on one site

17. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to babywish313 For This Useful Post:

AdelMum  (12-04-2016),Canuck1  (09-04-2016),cjocoh71  (05-04-2016),ECM1981  (03-04-2016),Gen72  (04-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (04-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (04-04-2016),Sunnygirl04  (04-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    @mummy2016 im sorry to hear you are having a hard time. I did not have any luck with my 3 cycles last year at CFC. Im yet to discover a real reason why apart from high nkc. Dr M is now helping me and i am on a new protocol with new donor. I totally understand your feeling of despair and confusion. Can you please just remind me of your situation. Was this your first transfer and did you have a proven donor. Sometimes we can just have bad luck, sometimes we have to keep investigating and trying new protocols until finally one day it all falls into place. Sadly some of us never get a real reason why it doesnt work. We just have to keep going until we get the prize or we decide we just cant go on. Its a tough road. Feel free to PM me xxx
    Interesting reading regarding all the other stuff being posted about legality. Education is great but lets not forget that this page is for receiving support and love from other ladies who are going through the same things. It is a place we can come to for help and compassion when we cant go anywhere else. We are all making extremely hard decisions regarding our quest for a family and trying to do the best that we can. Some are lucky enough to have been blessed with babies, some of us are still fighting hard. We dont need the extra stress!!!
    We all deserve a shipload of babydust!!

19. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to ECM1981 For This Useful Post:

babywish313  (04-04-2016),Canuck1  (04-04-2016),cjocoh71  (03-04-2016),faith15  (04-04-2016),Gen72  (04-04-2016),HB13  (04-04-2016),JulieMalooley  (04-04-2016),Lolly99  (04-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (04-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (04-04-2016),mummy2016  (04-04-2016),Offshorechick  (11-04-2016),Sunnygirl04  (04-04-2016)