Closed Thread
Page 62 of 102 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Excuse me but to keep people properly informed of the law is not being insesitive.

Everyone should know the laws wherever they are cycling- which means state to state and overseas.

You may all fail to realise that I am working hard behind the scenes to make changes here. Not being fully aware of what could happen is a personal responsibility and I won't apologise for being factual.

There are too many 'stories' that get bandied around wrt IVF and egg donation. It is time things were regulated in Australia and the shortcomings were revealed. Recipients have a right to choose their donors, not be told who they will be as happens in Australia.

In all honesty if the donors from South Africa are 'known' to the recipients that is illegal in South Africa too (the agency there told me) so this is a huge can of worms and those cycling- it is totally your responsibility to know and understand the legalities.

I wish you every success and hope there are no consequences.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger
    Quote Originally Posted by KMP View Post
    To clarify

You DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE A KNOWN EGG DONOR to do a cycle in Australia. There are anonymous donors and they can choose to have no contact after your child is 18 (part of donor counselling which I did for sperm donation in QLD).
    I don't know about egg donation, but this is not correct for sperm donation. Anonymous donors in Australia must agree to be able to be contacted by the child when the child turns 18 (should the child choose to). Even sperm imported from OS needs to follow this.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi everyone,
    I've just spent the last 2 days following and reading this thread! Big congratulations to all who have had success.
    This is my first time looking into egg donation. I did 6 ICSI cycles before being blessed with my DD, who is now 3. Then tried 8 more hoping for some more luck. A few of those cycles were cancelled or had nothing to transfer and the rest were 3 day transfers with none to freeze.

So far we have chosen to go with Cape Fertility, and have chosen a donor through Sunshine. We have yet to sign the paperwork or pay the agency fee but nearly there.
    I am aiming to be over there early July so hoping there might be others going at a similar time!
    I wish I'd found this as we were going through the donor selection process! It was so difficult, I find it more so trying to factor in a sibling. Not knowing who I should try and find similarities to- me or DD.
    In the end I chose a proven donor who had similar traits to me. Fingers crossed!

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to HB13 For This Useful Post:

Aquinos77  (20-04-2016),emski72  (03-04-2016),ferngirl  (05-04-2016),JulieMalooley  (03-04-2016),MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (03-04-2016),Offshorechick  (11-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    You deserve our support not criticism. I'm a big fan of your doctor, he's helped us heaps too. He's definitely trying to find ways to facilitate the ED process for us all.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KerryS For This Useful Post:

MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The reply above was for Maxswellsmum.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to KerryS For This Useful Post:

MamaKes  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016),midnite01  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, congratulations to all who have had succes on their donor egg journey !

Just a question for those ladies who have had their little miracles, what was required on the birth certificate being your egg donors are anonymous. I believe there is an anecdotyl mention on the birth certificate of a donor being involved so that child can research further once they turn 18, but that is for donors within Australia that are not anonymous..... What happens in the case of donors from overseas who wish to remain anonymous. Is this anecdotyl disclosure still required? Child will not have access to any information. Just curious how you have handled this? TIA .x

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sooz07 For This Useful Post:

Rhino  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooz07 View Post
    Hi ladies, congratulations to all who have had succes on their donor egg journey !

Just a question for those ladies who have had their little miracles, what was required on the birth certificate being your egg donors are anonymous. I believe there is an anecdotyl mention on the birth certificate of a donor being involved so that child can research further once they turn 18, but that is for donors within Australia that are not anonymous..... What happens in the case of donors from overseas who wish to remain anonymous. Is this anecdotyl disclosure still required? Child will not have access to any information. Just curious how you have handled this? TIA .x
    In Victoria, there is a spot on the application form to put the fact that a donor was used and the clinic details. I was also then asked for a letter from the clinic to validate the details. I had no problems getting this from CFC. I can't remember the exact details that had to be in it but could look back if you wanted me to.

There is no mention on the birth certificate itself, that it was a donor conception.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

JulieMalooley  (03-04-2016),Sooz07  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks @KerryS yes wazza is amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by KerryS View Post
    You deserve our support not criticism. I'm a big fan of your doctor, he's helped us heaps too. He's definitely trying to find ways to facilitate the ED process for us all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by babywish313 View Post
    KMP
    ALL SOUTH AFRICAN DONORS ARE ALTRUISTIC- they are not forced to donate against their will.
    BUT THEY ARE PAID VIA AN AGENCY- which is illegal.

As I am in the middle of going through profiles from all the agencies and in contact with Cyndi and Dr Wiswedel. I have been re-reading all the documents from the clinic and the agencies and nowhere in their paperwork does it state that agencies pay the donors, it is the clinic that pays the donors for what they do.

This is straight off my schedule of fees from CFC

Donor fee is for the compensation paid to the egg donor. Payment of donors is
    regulated in South Africa by the National Health Act and may only be paid to the donor via the accredited fertility clinic. The donor receives an amount of R7000 from CFC on the day of her egg retrieval. The clinic pays R980 in VAT on this amount plus bank charges of R100.

Also there guidelines are also very strict on this -

2008 GUIDELINES FOR GAMETE DONATION
    Published in (will submit to a local journal for publication once ready)
    The Policy Committee of the South African Society of Reproductive Science and
    Surgery.

Payment of oocyte donors
    Monetary compensation of the donor should reflect the time, inconvenience, financial costs to the donor – eg. travel, loss of income and childcare costs, physical and emotional demands and risks associated with oocyte donation and should be at a level that minimizes the possibility of undue inducement of donors and the suggestion that payment is for the oocytes themselves.
    The monetary compensation should not be predicted on the clinical outcome (no of oocytes or pregnancy outcome) but rather on fair compensation for the procedure of donating eggs.
    At the time of writing this guideline, it is the society’s opinion that monetary
    compensation for an oocyte donor should not exceed 5000 rand. Compensation amounts in excess of 10 000 rand should only be paid in exceptional circumstances.
    Donors should only receive financial compensation via fertility clinics and not receive any compensation directly from the recipients or other third parties.

AMENDMENT TO GAMETE DONATION GUIDELINES OF 2008

EGG DONOR COMPENSATION from the SASREG website.

Following a SASREG Committee meeting on the 22 November 2014, it was recommended that the SASREG Gamete Donation Guidelines of 2008 be updated to the following:
    Egg donors should not be compensated more than R7000.00 per procedure
    from the 1 January 2015.
    The previous guideline from 2008 stated that the egg donor should not be compensated more than R 5000.00.

This is also from SASREG
    1. Financial transactions:
      1. No financial transaction can occur between the egg donor and the agency. Only the fertility clinic can reimburse the donor.
      2. No financial transaction is allowed between a fertility clinic and an agency: referral fees or kickbacks are not allowed.
      3. An egg donation agency can charge the recipient couple an administrative fee for matching of the egg donor.

I don't know which agency you used but if they paid the donor then they should be reported, the rules are what they are.

Australia is very far off legal with the experiences my friends have had. The most one was asked for as payment for eggs was $18,000 on top of all medical expenses covered, not to mention all the other things demanded. She was given the flick.

Australian Legislation for egg, sperm and embryo donation

It is illegal in Australia to sell sperm or eggs (or any human tissue). Unfortunately, couples desperate for a child have been known to fall victim to unscrupulous people offering to sell eggs. While it is considered normal for recipients to cover their donor's expenses, if anyone you approach to be a donor asks for payment beyond expenses, they should be avoided.

Really I don't think they get reimbursed enough for what they go through in South Africa but with it being regulated it's not about the money. Unlike here in Australia, egg donors doing it for the right reasons in my friends experience are few and far between.

In support of the above I have gone through my notes from researching DE in SA last year.

Based on the prevailing exchange rates my donor compensation amounted to $840 AUD (approx)

Assuming
    1.Appointments/visits = 6 (Agency Screening, Clinic pathology and psych screening, collection of meds and baseline scan, 2 x in cycle scans and EPU)
    2. Transport costs for each visit (taxi, uber, public, petrol or some combination) @ $25
    3. Time off work (1/2 day for each initial appointment (trip there and back plus actual appointment) then one day for EPU and one day for recovery post EPU) equals 3.5 days off work

Compensation $840
    less transport costs (6x25) $150
    Equals $690

After allowing for transport costs you are left with around $690 to compensate the donor for: missing over half a week of work, the physical and emotional demands of a cycle and any other outlays that they may have incurred to undergo a cycle. This amount in my opinion (and I feel in most peoples' eyes) is very modest and would fall under the definition of compensation, rather than profiteering.

In contrast an unproven egg donor in the USA generally commands a fee of around $5,000 US with a proven, desirable donor often commanding a fee of $10,000 US.

This is the model that I would be more concerned about when considering the QLD laws. The SA model closely fits with Aus requirements of altruistic donation with compensation for costs/lost income etc, the US model is more commercial in nature and is at odds with the Aus requirements.

The bottom line is that I am comfortable with my actions in accessing an egg donor under the South African model as I do not believe that any laws, either here nor there were broken by my husband and I.

15. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

babywish313  (03-04-2016),FMJ  (03-04-2016),Maxwellsmum  (03-04-2016),Miss Sagi  (03-04-2016),Offshorechick  (11-04-2016),princessrory  (03-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sooz07 View Post

I didn't see anything like that on the SA birth certificate application.