Closed Thread
Page 59 of 102 FirstFirst ... 949575859606169 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KMP View Post
    6 babies is far more difficult to monitor than 6 family groups. Madness. You could have embryos and not be able to use them.
    You can still use your frozen embryos for yourself, even if 6 baby limit has been reached. I think it's only that you can't donate them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I thought it was 6 families with babies from the 1 donor.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yes I thought 6 families too but then the agency rep I saw when I was there said something stupid like number of babies..... but it is far easier to have family groups.

On another note my mum has said there is a sensational article in the Courier Mail today stating travel to SA for egg donation as illegal and other things. My mum's 102 year old friend even said it sounded dodgy. I know CM always publishes egg donation stories for the prominent egg donation site so I am thinking it is all related. Can anyone get the article? I can't find it online.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's definitely 6 babies, sometimes they state 6 pregnancies, but really it's 6 live births....which is very quickly achieved with one donor when you consider how successful CFC are at creating twin pregnancies!
    Ive had 7 very generous women suggest their egg donors to me, when I've contacted their egg donor agencies they've confirmed that their egg donors have reached their 'family limit' of 6 babies. This of course meant I couldn't use their egg donor or be a recipient of their embryos either now or at a later stage. I think there was only 1 woman's ED who is available for a final cycle.
    Thanks again to the wonderful women who offered either their EDs or their embryos.
    Last edited by Tahli; 31-03-2016 at 19:47.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Here is what I was told when I asked the question.....

"The live birth limit for a donor is 6, but this is not something
    that you need to worry about because once embryos have been
    created they are your property, as the recipient. Should the donor
    reach her limit, this only means that we can no longer create new
    embryos. The ones already created and in storage are to be used by
    the recipients
    discretion."

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

AdelMum  (12-04-2016),ECM1981  (31-03-2016),midnite01  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just scanned the article very badly written talking about surrogacy sourcing surrogates then talked about egg donation possibly being illegal. Im surprised that sort of poor journalism gets into the papers.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by midnite01 View Post
    I just scanned the article very badly written talking about surrogacy sourcing surrogates then talked about egg donation possibly being illegal. Im surprised that sort of poor journalism gets into the papers.
    This is my biggest fear, that they make it illegal. Then we are screwed!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have read the article and agree that it is poorly written and view it as scaremongering. One of the statements in it was the Qld'ers going overseas for the purposes of commercial surrogacy could face up to three years imprisonment but Qld'ers going overseas for the purposes of egg donation could face up to fifteen years. I have never seen that before and have no idea how they would detect the egg donation 'offense' in order to prosecute it.

Also included in the article were remarks by a family lawyer that with many overseas donations being anonymous that resulting children were being denied the chance to find/meet the donor in future. But this would also apply to any Australian based anonymous donation (eg through a clinic) so I am not sure why overseas egg donation should be demonised on this point alone.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sunnygirl04 For This Useful Post:

Blinky76  (01-04-2016),KMP  (31-03-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Apparently she is a political journalist- she should stick to that. Popped her a tweet letting her know how poor it is.
    Attached Images

12. The Following User Says Thank You to KMP For This Useful Post:

ferngirl  (02-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    How could they make it illegal? How could they police it? Fine to get pregnant by one night stand overseas but not in proper clinic. Can it be illegal to go overseas to seek off the cuff medical treatment for cancer- no.

If it was 'illegal' like the article claimed there would be no birth certificate and the registry would not be happy.