Closed Thread
Page 14 of 102 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    JulieMalooley - Thanks so much for the well wishes. Now the dreaded 2 WW begins. ..

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies,

Good luck to those in CPT. For those of you in or heading to CPT, if you are buying medication from CFC, ask for a tax/vat invoice. Apparently you can claim medication as goods when departing CPT. Unfortunately I had a statement of account so was unable to claim the VAT on meds but have got paperwork to submit once I get a tax invoice from CFC.
    Good luck!

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Makeba For This Useful Post:

BB4Me  (02-02-2016),ECM1981  (27-01-2016),MamaKes  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Outoftime For This Useful Post:

faith15  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Outoftime - Thanks so much. . 😊

MrsErinR - Hope your transfer went smoothly. .

Thanks
    Reviews
    @faith15 congratulations on being PUPO and look forward to hearing your good news next week.
    @MrsErinR hope your transfer went smoothly and good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews

Default Hi warning long post 😃

Just wanted to give an update to add to the varied experiences we all have through this DE journey.

In sunmary for those not familiar with my story we first went to medfem in Joburg through gift of life and had a 24yr old donor we got two eggs collected, transfered two perfect D5B - BFN, 6 mth later we choose to go to Thailand and used travelling donors we had an anonymous SA donor (26 yrs old) but knew the laws in Thailand were not strict on it being anonymous, so hoped we would have contact with the donor (basically if donor consented). We got 4 eggs, two died, 2 left not graded well so transfered day 4 - we got a BFP to our surprise and our beautiful girl was born in May 2015.

Going to through travelling donors was 25k so much more expensive but we felt more comfortable with adult photos and the prospect of contact so we were willing to borrow more money to have that.

We ended up getting direct contact with our donor and spent the next year getting to know each other via FB and Skype.
    Soon after our girl was born our donor asked if we would want more children and we said we would love more and love it even more if she could donate again.

Long story short we decided to go to her in Capetown which was more convenient for her and do a known egg donation, Rikki from sunshine facilitated for us but given we had contact with each other Rikki mostly provided introductions and outlined what was required legally for a known donation.

We used aevitas clinic who I found at first a bit slow to get the ball rolling given we had a tight deadline this was stressful but it turned out to really be one nurse who was the hold up otherwise I found the experience very good very professional. I got regular updates via watsapp for embryo growth and appointments etc. only thing I would of liked is a better understanding of their grading and requirement for freezing (only wanted this after we had none to freeze but wish I'd asked earlier)

We had egg collection jan 9 we got 27eggs, 15 fertilised, 2 blastos (b grade) transfered, none frozen (couldn't believe they didn't freeze any but they just said they weren't good enough) so even after what was seeming like a dream cycle we were faced with all or nothing again.
    This was our one and only attempt for a sibling as we have completely exhausted all funds (esp now having one child and being on one income).

I did a blood test on Monday and it's a BFP! So amazing, so lucky, I'm pinching myself and look forward to a scan next week to hopefully see a beautiful little bubble.
    I also wanted to transfer two as we didn't have funds for multiple trips and as it turned out they probably would have binned the second - we hope for one baby but would be equally happy with twins and understand the risks.

We spent 5 days with our donor while in Capetown and it was amazing. Very comfortable, very natural, she met our daughter and there wasn't a hint of weirdness or feeling that she wasn't 100% ours and that our donor felt the same. To her it's like she's donated a kidney or anyone her body part someone would need.

I dont write this for anyone to question the anonymous path or any decisions made and l understand that we have limited options when seeking donors and we choose what we are confortable with and what we can afford.
    But if it is something you'd like to have for yourself and your children (contact with your donor) and if you can afford to make happen it I would highly recommend it.
    We did not have the best agency experience with travelling donors (new website for QLD is knowneggdonors) but it the long run we got what we wanted through them and would do it all again.
    Also I stressed about details and had meltdowns after transfer that it hadn't worked and that my stressing was stuffing it up but we still got a BFP.
    I did all the usual drugs plus clexane, 25mg pred, aspirin, antibiotic, ate pineapple, did Valium and shots of brandy on the morning of transfer, Ural for a few days before to alkalise, vit e, fish oil, folic acid, multi, homeopathic to make it stick, good luck charms basically repeated what I had done last time to get my first ever BFP.
    I hope my story give hope and helps with any decisions which I know are hard to make.
    Much love and baby dust to all

Oh and we stayed at docklands luxury apartment in a 2br with a rental car and it was perfect with a toddler to have lots of space a great kitchen etc I think everyone else has mentioned all the things to do and see. We did also really enjoy the company gardens in the CBD had great kids play area but even better breakfast in a tranquil space and fun to feed the squirrels.
    Also kloof street had the best restaurants in cbd.
    sorry for long post feel free to pm me.

9. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Pixel For This Useful Post:

Anne257  (28-01-2016),Aspire  (29-01-2016),BB4Me  (02-02-2016),cjocoh71  (28-01-2016),crabby  (28-01-2016),Lisaxxx  (28-01-2016),Lolly99  (28-01-2016),Lozby  (29-01-2016),Lucinda2016  (29-01-2016),MamaKes  (28-01-2016),Miss Sagi  (29-01-2016),Outoftime  (28-01-2016),Rhino  (19-04-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Congrats Pixel! That is great news, especially given the disappointing cycle results you've had to endure. I'm very happy for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi all

Transfer went fine yesterday. One embryo didn't survive the thaw but a second one was thawed and looked great. We were only ever going to transfer one anyway and we're in a very fortunate position of having quite a lot of blasts so that failure to thaw doesn't impact us too badly.

I am reminded of how lovely and warm the CFC team are. People remembered me from nearly 2 years ago, I got hugs and kisses...amazing. That would never happen at home and I'm sure I'd find it quite weird if it did!

Now I wait.

I'm having very strong baby boy vibes today, so if it takes then I'll be interested to see if I'm right in the end.

X

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MrsErinR For This Useful Post:

Aspire  (29-01-2016),Jennski  (29-01-2016),Lisaxxx  (28-01-2016),MamaKes  (28-01-2016)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations @Pixel that is wonderful news.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Congratulations pixel and thanks for sharing your story, very helpful info.
    Congrats as well to Mrs. Erin for being pupo!! Fingers crossed!!